PDA

View Full Version : Burly 4 bay setup help?

Jimpoor
10-27-2007, 10:39 AM
Hi folks, and thanks in advance. I tried a quick search, but didn't come up with much.

I just got a new Burly 4 bay enclosure with digital bays.

For some reason, I can't see my drive (only one installed at the moment) when I hook up with FW800. Hooked up to USB and it mounts right up just fine.

The drive is the original SATA drive that came with my MACPro.

I'm running OS X 10.4.10 right now.

Am I missing something? There were no instructions included with the enclosure other than individual installation of the drive bays, so I assume:

For FW 800, I need one cable per drive if all four are used.
For USB it looks like one cable per two drives.

Any help would be great.
Thanks
Jim

ricks
10-27-2007, 01:15 PM
Hi ya Jim,

Usually these are so simple they don't really need much in the way of a manual. You need a couple of details to make it work is all.

The 4 Bay FW enclosure has 2 Firewire bridge boards in it. Each bridge has 2 drives bays attached. You should run a FW 800 cable from the computer to the first bridge and then use the 12 inch jumper to chain from that bridge to the next bridge. Other than that there are no secrets.

If you have trouble with the drive in one of the top two bays, try slipping it into one of the bottom bays. This will put it on the other bridge and tell us the issue is a bridge problem or not.

Make sure you look in DIsk Utility to see if the drive shows up there and not on the desktop.

We'll keep going here until we get it running right.

Rick

Jimpoor
10-28-2007, 07:18 AM
Thanks for the quick reply. Too bad I was out and couldn't follow up until today.

Anyway, It seems we may have a problem with the top bridge. I can get the drive to work in either of the bottom two bays as long as the FW cable is plugged in to the bottom bridge.

With the short FW cable between the two bridges, I still get nothing on the top two bays.

If I plug the FW from the computer into the top bridge, none of them work.

Nothing appears in the disk utility when the top bridge is used, even with a reboot while it's hooked up.

Any ideas, or are we looking at an exchange? (I really hope not :( )

Thanks
Jim

ricks
10-28-2007, 09:32 AM
Might be time to pull the cover off the enclosure and make sure power is attached to the top bridge still. I would go so far as to swap the power from the one below. I would also look and see if the bridge shows up in System Profiler under Firewire when you plug it in. Compare that with what you see with the working bridge by connecting them one at a time and then moving power.

If the bridge looks to be bad then we can always do just a bridge swap. Nice part with a Burly is everything is pretty much modular and within the users realm of repair and parts replacement.

Rick

Jimpoor
10-28-2007, 09:49 AM
Ok, I'll try those out after lunch.

Thanks
Jim

Jimpoor
10-28-2007, 11:22 AM
As best I can figure, it seems that the problem is the right FW port (closest to the USB port) on the upper bridge.

I pulled the bridge out to get to the lower power cable and it magically started working when it wasn't mounted in the box yet. I thought "ok, must have been a loose cable." However, it quit just as soon. When the FW cable (or the "jumper") is connected to that port, the disk will mount only occasionally, and won't stay mounted. The Disk Utility hangs or takes a really long time coming up with the cable in that jack as well.

At the moment, it is up with the FW cable from the computer into the lower bridge, the jumper into the left FW port on the upper bridge and the drive in the second bay down. Switch the jumper to the other port on the upper bridge and no luck again.

ricks
10-28-2007, 11:28 AM
Easiest thing is probably not worry about it but just go ahead and swap the bridge out. Sounds like maybe the connector is faulty somehow.

When you get a chance Jim, send me an email at support so you and I can set up a replacement bridge.

Rick

Jimpoor
10-28-2007, 11:36 AM
Sent.

Thanks for helping me figure this out.

On a Sunday even :)

Best,
Jim

Jimpoor
11-05-2007, 07:00 AM
Hi again,

I sent you another E-mail. The card got here, but now I'm having another issue. It seems that whenever I remove or insert a drive in the upper bridge bays, the other drive n the top bridge gets disconnected.

I thought it might have been a loose wire or something, but I can't find the culprit.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Jim

ricks
11-05-2007, 09:05 AM
Hey Jim,

I sent a reply yesterday.

Turns out that Oxford never wrote all the hotswap code into the 924 chips. They have promised to do that, whenever they get around to it. We have known about it though, this is what is written on the sales page:

Notes about Hotswap: The Oxford 924 bridge that is used in these enclosures is the best performing and most trouble free bridge we have ever tested. It has one shortcoming at this time, it isn't fully hotswap capable when it has its full compliment of 2 drives attached. When physically removing one of the drives attached to the bridge, BOTH drives on that bridge should be dismounted first. Same procedure when inserting a drive, the other drive should be dismounted first. On insertion, both drives will remount. If this is not done, when you remove drive 2, drive 1 will dismount and mount, pretty near instantly. That isn't really a big deal unless the drive is being accessed. But it can certainly cause issue if an application is accessing it at the time. On a 4 bay, the top 2 drives are on one bridge, the bottom 2 drives on a different bridge. Oxford has promised a fix in the firmware in the future. It never crossed their minds that we would need that feature before. (engineers!)

The enclosure will work perfectly if you dismount and power it down when swapping drives. Then power up after the swap. Everyone who uses the 924 chips has the same problem. Still the best, fastest, most trouble free Firewire bridge made.

Rick

Jimpoor
11-05-2007, 09:41 AM
Ok, I can live with ejecting disks as I have been doing that already.

For some reason, I didn't get your reply though. Isn't technology a wonderful thing? ;)

Thanks
Jim