PDA

View Full Version : Burly Setup Help...

merlinxl
10-08-2007, 08:30 PM
Just got a Burly 2 Drive SATA HotSwap Kit with LCD bays. Setup went fine but I have a few issues.

They're connected via pci bracket right to the mb. So if the enclosure is off or one bay is removed when I start I get drive not found errors. The ports are turned on in the setup. My plan was to swap between the 2 bays for backup etc. Is there a work around or would I just disable that port while the bay is out?

Also just some advice on the drives. The LCD shows slave on both drives by default. Does that matter? Both drives function fine...

I wonder if a single bay enclosure with the 2 trays would be a better setup for my needs?

TIA

Jeff

ricks
10-08-2007, 10:31 PM
First thing is that motherboard ports are not hotplugable or hotswapable. You must reboot to mount a drive on a motherboard port, every time. That is a function not built into the internal ports since they were not planning on them being used externally.

No problem running the 2 bay as long as you mount them when you boot. Beyond that, just leave the thing running 24/7. That is the safest and best way to maintain the very best drive longevity.

The LCD displays are also used in ATA implementations. Hence the Slave. Meaningless for SATA drives since they are all Master. Some drives don't cause the display to show Slave, others do. Sorry to say there is nothing you can do about it either way.

Rick

merlinxl
10-09-2007, 04:42 AM
First thing is that motherboard ports are not hotplugable or hotswapable.
Rick
Would a PCI card be a better option? Also, if I went for the single drive case would that be a better setup for my needs. Keep one in the enclosure making back ups while the other is in a safe and rotate as needed? No sure I want to leave them on 24/7.

Let me know so I can arrange for a swap. Not concerned with money, just the right setup. Hopefully just swap the enclosure and keep trays etc.

Jeff

ricks
10-09-2007, 09:16 AM
If you need hotswap then a PCI card is the only way to go. Looks like you have a MacPro, you can use the Lycom card here (http://www.macgurus.com/productpages/sata/LYCeSATA-2EMAC.php) for under $50. That will give you full capability.

I would stick with the 2 bay. Costs almost identical to the one bay and is quieter. Works exactly the same. Even if you don't use one of the bays, so what. Expansion for later should you need it.

Rick

merlinxl
10-09-2007, 09:30 AM
If you need hotswap then a PCI card is the only way to go.

Actually a Desctop PC. So if I pick up a pci card I won't have any issues (Drive not detected) when a drive is removed or if the enclosure is off etc., during restarts like a connection right to the mb? My main goal is to keep one drive in and rotate the other as needed.

Jeff

ricks
10-09-2007, 11:04 AM
The Lycom card is a PCIe Windows card with Mac drivers available. Works on just about any operating system imaginable. If you need a PCI or PCI-X card then this Lycom card (http://www.macgurus.com/productpages/sata/lycesata4.php) is correct.

The PCI, PCI-X or PCIe cards will all allow hotplugging and mounting.

Get yourself a copy of DriveSwap32 (http://www.tucows.com/preview/397365). It will let you dismount your drives while running, this prevents directory damage.

We have a PC support guy here: brian@macgurus.com. We even have a PC centric store: www.burlystorage.com, should you need assistance.

Rick