PDA

View Full Version : Mac Pro /RAID/Bootcamp

MadDog
10-08-2007, 04:35 PM
I just got my shiny new Mac Pro (quad 2.66, ATI1900XT, 5 gig RAM, RAID 2x250), but it appears that Bootcamp does not like RAID. I just wont install through bootcamp.

I read through the apple forums, and Apple isnt saying much. Anyone have any experiences with a RAID and bootcamp ?

Mad Dog

rwm
10-08-2007, 04:45 PM
Long time no see - nice new machine. :D Myself I can't help much (others can/will) and assume you've read this...
http://www.apple.com/macosx/bootcamp/

MadDog
10-08-2007, 05:23 PM
You have to dig around to find anything from Apple wrt RAIDs on bootcamp.

I have conflicting reports about wether or not a third drive (not on a RAID) can be installed with XP using boot camp.

To make matters muddier, some people say you dont need boot camp at all - just boot from the XP disk. I do note that the XP CD shows up under startup disk control panel.

Mad Dog

ricks
10-08-2007, 05:26 PM
Not being a fan of putting an OS on a RAID, I would say that if you had a single drive for your OS and a RAID for your data you would receive more benefits.

But that would be my bias speaking :D

Good to see you around MadDog

MadDog
10-08-2007, 07:33 PM
Its been a while. Things really quieted down when the store was unavailable a few years back.

Inever tried messing with multiple disks with data not on the boot drive. I take it you can move the users around and not get in trouble ?

Of course, I would need another drive to do this. My wife is already pissed at me about the $$$ I spent (and Im not done - I need Adobe CS3 and I lust after the Apple think aluminum keyboard).

thanks,

Mad Dog

:jollyrog: <---how come that doesnt work anymore ? <---Changed to jollyrog

unclemac
10-08-2007, 09:18 PM
And don't forget that Bootcamp is beta, and will be released with 10.5 in (according to the current schedule) about 3 weeks.

Not suggesting you jump right into 10.5, but that the features and options may change then. Have to wait and see.

MadDog
10-09-2007, 03:45 PM
I am trying to be real careful considering its beta and deals with your boot partition. I think my next step is to find another SATA drive and see if I can install on that.

On the subject of RAIDs, it si a better idea to have the System on its own drive ? I suppose if I could get a 3rd (4th ?) drive and use that for data.

Can I copy all the files and folders (other than the system folder) over to the data drive and it will work fine ?

thanks,

Mad Dog

:jollyrog:

MadDog
11-11-2007, 07:07 PM
Sorry it took so long. The solution was simple. I took out my RAID drives, added a fresh drive, and booted from the XP disk. Install. Shut down. Add back the RAID disks.

Done.

I can even use paralells to use the bootcamp drive.

Super-groovy.

Mad Dog

:jollyrog:

Nicolas
11-12-2007, 12:05 AM
Apple Software RAIDs are not working for Bootcamp due to the fact that its Software running within OSX and Bootcamp can add driver but no RAID software.

Nicolas