PDA

View Full Version : Invest in processor or ram/HD speed for new Macbook



Bethany
10-02-2007, 10:53 AM
Hi there!

Iím a photographer looking to buy a new 15Ē macbook pro. Would you say that itís a better value for me to get the 2.2 Ghz instead of the 2.4 ghz and then use that saved $500 and buy additional ram from macgurus (2 - 2gb sticks for $200 each?)

And putting money towards the faster HD is a will give me more speed than investing in the faster 2.4 Ghz processor, right? Iím thinking to just upgrade to the 160 gb sata 7200 drive directly from apple for $200.

Btw, Iíll probably be upgrading from CS2 to CS3 as well.

Thanks!

Bethany

(Iím currently on a 1 ghz 17íí powerbook with 512 ramÖ and a G5 Quad 2.5 ghz with 4GB ram and a raptor startup-- whoo-hoo!)

Greentree_uk
10-02-2007, 12:40 PM
CS3 is a definite upgrade, not really an option with an intel processor.


with the macbook pro, I'd say go for the 2.4 it's got more vram which will be handy. if you want to cut costs buy your mac from a reseller! you'll save on memory and also they may retro fit a larger faster drive for less or atleast with a 3 year warranty! Always support your local reseller, Apple wil get their money either way.

Bethany
10-02-2007, 02:38 PM
great advice - thanks!

unclemac
10-02-2007, 02:51 PM
Yes, you will need all the horsepower you can get. It hurts to pay for the cutting edge, but you will get a longer life out of the MBP too.

Only other option is the eternal waiting game.....wait for the next bump in CPUs (and maybe case design?). But that could be many months away, so if you need to work now, this is your best choice to try and future proof for as long as possible.

ricks
10-02-2007, 03:46 PM
Nice thing is you can add more RAM later. Can't upgrade the CPU later, at least not easily.

Safe to leave the upgradable items for later when the money has flowed back after that big expense for the MBP.

Rick

Bethany
10-02-2007, 09:01 PM
thanks for all the info guys.

So you think they'll be coming out with another soon? Somewhere between 1 month minimum and 6 months maximum? Hmmm... because theoretically, I could hold out a little longer. But if it ends up being a year, I'd rather just do it.

unclemac
10-02-2007, 09:14 PM
I have seen nothing in the rumor mills about newer MBPs, and the current machine got a recent bump to the Santa Rosa chipset, which is pretty much bleeding edge stuff.

I would guess that the next MBP bump is about 6 months off. They like to show new goodies at MacWorld SF which is mid January, but that seems too soon to me. Still, with tech, one never knows. The current MBPs are pretty darn good laptops.

The only other thing in the wings is that 10.5 is scheduled to be released at the end of this month, which will likely run you about $140 bucks to buy after the fact. If it appears on schedule, and if you are willing to take the plunge with a new OS that will likely need a few months to mature......might be worth waiting til mid Nov.