PDA

View Full Version : Media offline messages in Final Cut Studio 2 when using Burly configuration

Aaron
10-01-2007, 12:08 PM
I recently set up two Burly 5 Bay port multipliers and am using them with Final Cut Studio 2 running a mac pro.

Throughout the captuing process, everything went fine and all my media was accessible. However, once I shut my projects down and reopened them, all of my clips are showing as being offline.

The media files are on the drives, but FCP won't automatically recognize and connect to the media like it's supposed to.

I did a test where I captured to my internal drive instead of the Burly enclosure and everything worked correctly and my clips did not show up as being offline, so I'm wondering if other Burly users have experienced the same issue.

Incidentaly, when I captured, I used the setting in FCP to capture video and audio into seperate files. All of my audio files are on one drive and the video is spread out over the 9 other drives. I don't know if this makes a difference. I know that FCP is supposed to be able to automatically keep track of where the seperate audio and video media is and link it together for playback and editing.

I'm in a world of hurt here. About 85 hours of footage, over a thousand video and audio clips spread out between 10 drives, and FCP, for some reason, not keeping track of any of the ones on the Burly drives.

Has anyone had an experience like this before? Any insight or advice? I'd sure appreciate any help.

Thanks,

Aaron

ricks
10-02-2007, 11:44 AM
I asked Aaron to post here because this looks to be a Final Cut configuration question. Many Burly enclosures are used in Final Cut and we have never been asked this particular question. Something happened to the stored project files so that when opening them it doesn't produce the sequence of clips from the edit. Unfortunately, we don't have a bunch of Final Cut experience, so we are hoping a Final Cut users will jump in and post some thoughts.

Rick

despaxas
10-11-2007, 09:35 AM
I've seen that error a couple times, but it was usually my own fault, like I would accidentally rename a folder or something and the file path would change. Though that error will also come up if Final Cut thinks the file has been changed since the last time the project was opened, even though the name has not been changed. In a FCP project I had a photoshop title and then someone else made a change to it between project openings and then it showed up as offline media and had to be relinked.

That probably doesn't help, but I don't know what it could be. Trashing FCP prefs or just capturing the A/V together across all the drives might fix it, unless of course you need the audio as separate files for audio work.

eric
10-11-2007, 11:38 AM
despaxas' post made me think of something about naming. Earlier versions of FCP weren't very Unix saavy in that they didn't take into account the use of spaces in names or worse the use of the slash (/) in names -- the slash is in *nix a path divider.

If you have the drive or say some folder you created with a name that contains spaces or the slash (/), early versions of FCP would kick up an error that files/folders coudn't be found. There was even a kbase article about it. I don't know if later versions of FCP corrected this.

So might want to check your drives and folder names (the ones you created) and take out the spaces and slashes. Stick to letters, numbers, underscore, hyphens. Avoid everything else. That's pretty much the guidelines you want to use globally, not just with FCP. Spaces in names...oh my FCP scratch HD that was wiped cleaned by an iTunes installer. Probably some others around here who can recall that ugly installer.