PDA

View Full Version : Granite Digital FireVue question

M.Brane
09-11-2007, 11:38 PM
Is the tiny (30mm?) fan supposed to run all the time, or is it temperature controlled? I haven't had it spin yet, and I've put the drive through it's paces. The enclosure felt quite warm to the touch, though not hot.

kaye
09-12-2007, 06:04 AM
I'm not sure whether over the life span of that model there were any changes to how that fan operates but the one that I was using with my wife's iBook G4 spins all the time. I just checked it from a cold start at 67F house temp with a flashlight on it to see and the fan spun immediately.

I also went thru the entire LCD Menu and couldn't find a fan monitor but SMART will give you a warning of over temperature if you have SMART enabled. k

M.Brane
09-12-2007, 08:35 PM
Thanks kaye. BTW this drive was once yours I believe. Randy graciously donated to my cause for the cost of shipping though I slipped him a few extra bucks for his trouble.

Now to find a 30mm fan. The smallest they had at Fry's was 40, and the other electronics supply house around here closed down a while back. Looks like I'll be making a trip to the valley.

kaye
09-13-2007, 06:24 AM
I thought that Rick said awhile back that he had some of the fans for this model. Wouldn't hurt to ask. Looking thru the back case grill, I cannot see the brand or dimensions (including thickness) nor for sure whether it is 5V or 12V. k

rwm
09-13-2007, 12:47 PM
I don't know a thing. :o I never checked or realized the fan was not spinning or when might have quit. Nor did I work with the LCD / SMART status of the case/drive. I think Rick might have some of the parts for these older cases that he no longer sells.

Worth a check. - Randy

ricks
09-13-2007, 01:16 PM
Never did have parts for Granite cases, let them do that.

However, finding a fan is easy enough. First thing to do is use a volt meter and make sure the one you have is getting power, see if you can spin it up manually and get it running while you are in there.

Then, if all else fails, pull the fan out and read the manufacturer and part number. Usually a quick google of name and number will get you specifications. Need RPM usually and depth dimension (usually 10 or 20 mm) then you can have UPS do your trip to town, places like:

http://www.3dcool.com/index.php?cPath=74

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2000110573+1372726520&name=40mm

Rick

Damien
09-13-2007, 01:26 PM
I always liked Sidewinder (http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/) for the oddball case parts and cooling supplies

M.Brane
09-13-2007, 06:25 PM
Thanks guys! I am just loath to use my debit card on line much. Only a few vendors that I really trust. ;)

If I plan it right I can swing into the valley on one of my rides. I'm sure the 30mm fan will fit in the tank bag no problem.:D

Of course I'll check the specs, and test it first.

kaye
09-29-2007, 08:26 AM
Did you get that Granite Digital FireVue fan running? I have been looking around and finally found another case besides the now second backup for the wife's iBook. The case found even had a drive on top of it which I can install and see if everything is working. If they are OK, you can have the whole thing for the cost of shipping. Let me know if you are still interested. k

M.Brane
09-29-2007, 08:39 AM
Yes kaye a friend of mine managed to scavenge a 30mm 5V fan from an old Toshiba laptop. I had to mod the backplate a bit to mount it since it was a few mm thicker, and just tapped into the 5V side of the HD power connector. It's working fine.

Thanks for the thought.:)

kaye
09-29-2007, 10:01 AM
OK, glad you got it fixed. Anyone else interested in my offer? First come first served, just don't know if it or the HD works. But will put them together and see. k

yeungfeng
09-30-2007, 02:58 AM
Kaye, I guess I can raise my hand at this point. Though, for clarity it might help if I knew what exactly is being referred to, another case?

I've been thinking about writing zeros on my old hard drives out of the G3 Tower before moving it out. I'd do it with the computer but it's not responsive to either the mouse or keyboard. Starts up but I believe the flood waters may have had an affect. The thought of taking one out and installing it in the G4 and removing the other drives.......the G3 & the 266 iMac really don't look all that bad on the floor, really actually kind of nice, festive, and easy for now.

Plus the drives could be used again for backup...

kaye
09-30-2007, 10:53 AM
Yes, another case, FW400, this one:
http://www.cwol.com/firewire-drives/smart-firewire-kit.htm

What I need to do is put it together with the drive I will include to see if the case, fan, and drive work. If it all works, I will include the Granite FW400 diagnostic cable and an AC power cord. So you will need FW400. k

yeungfeng
10-01-2007, 12:05 AM
That's what I was thinking about exactly.

One of my questions had been, are all internal HDs 3 1/2 inch drives? Is that dia. of the platter?

YES! Very interested! If you want to e dash mail me my screen name plus macdotcom works.

kaye
10-18-2007, 10:17 AM
yeungfeng,

Drive Model: HDS722516VLAT80
Hitachi Deskstar 7K250 164.7GB capacity, 8MB buffer
Capacity after OSX 10.4.10 Disk Utility initialization: 153GB, journaled HFS+, OS9 driver not installed
So FireVue case supports ATA-6 (PATA Large Capacity Drives)
Drive Serial number: C4G7T8BK
Manufactured: DEC-2003
Warranty: Expired 01/31/2007
Drive has never been used, was a spare purchased for a QuickSilver I think.

Ran the Intech Integrity X 10MB test for 5 test cycles (each cycle took about 7 minutes), no errors. The case is a difficult one to install the drive. Very tight fit. LCD works just fine and is set up. I have no idea about sleep. Have never allowed any of my drives to sleep.

Will ship with:
1.Original box.
2.Printed manual, installation and LCD display settings procedures
3.GD premium 3 foot 6-pin FW400 cable with small diagnostic green LED. LED monitors power on the cable. Readout on one end (proper operation is a bright green LED). If too many devices are plugged in without auxiliary power the light will go dim. If there is no power supplied at all the light is off.
4.AC power cable.
5.FireVue case with drive installed.

QuickBench 3.1, 100MB, 37MB/s Read, 29MB/s Write. Will ship it out for the cost of shipping, probably tomorrow or Saturday if the wife does not have too much for me to do, plus I'm dog sitting today, tomorrow, and Saturday. k

yeungfeng
10-18-2007, 10:48 PM
:dance:

Cool, let me know Who, What, Where & How. I'll get it to you asap.

Thanks!

rwm
10-19-2007, 02:39 PM
Kaye is one of the most :kickass: guys I ever met. Thanks for all the hand me down hardware many people have benefited. -

kaye
10-30-2007, 08:11 PM
Thanks Randy. Shipped to yeungfeng for about $14.60 which is what I asked him for. He says FireView and drive plus extras working fine and today I received a check for $25, more than I asked for. Thanks. k

yeungfeng
11-18-2007, 12:58 AM
I have tried to partition the drive in the Granite Digital FireVue without any luck. Am wondering why this can't seem to be done.

Also have looked for some posting describing the difference in the jumper settings on hard drives, i.e. master, cable select, and slave. Can anyone link or explain?

M.Brane
11-18-2007, 01:20 AM
Go to Granite's site, and download the updated KEXT file for the FireVue. There's a link to it on the main page. I had the same problem with my Pismo (10.4.8). It drove me nuts for a while until I found out about the chipset issue. It works fine now. Never a problem with Panther.

Master or single device: only one drive on the cable.

Master/slave: 2 drives on the cable with jumpers set accordingly.

Cable select: 2 drives on the cable, and their position on the cable determines which is master/slave.

On modern 80-wire ATA cables the end connector is the master.

yeungfeng
11-18-2007, 02:09 AM
Thanks for the direction and clarification. Next step upgrade firmware.

If setting the jumpers on this drive, would it matter what the setting was, like if I wanted to boot from the drive. Which I do:)

M.Brane
11-18-2007, 02:23 AM
The drive in the FireVue should be set to master/single device.