PDA

View Full Version : Lycom SATA Card Crashes OS X

jaredkeithwhite
09-11-2007, 10:17 AM
I have a Lycom LYCeSata 2-EMAC card, and I'm having some difficulty with it. I have it connected to a Seagate 300GB eSATA external hard drive (brand new). I can transfer data to/from the drives, but on occasion, when I am transferring data, OS X crashes and tells me I need to essentially power off / on.

I'm running OS X 10.4.10, and I've installed the latest drivers for the card.

Any thoughts anyone?

Thanks

ricks
09-11-2007, 02:42 PM
Jared,

Not sure yet you can say that the Lycom card causes KPs on your MacBookPro. Until you have read through the crash and system logs and looked at what actually crashed we won't know what the culprit is.

I have had a few instances of repeat kernel panics on different machines over the last couple years. Usually they went away by themselves (not much help, that). A couple of them came after hardware installs that I reinstalled to make sure that wasn't the cause. A couple were after software installs, and I did whatever to figure those out. Some were from who knows what. I never really was able to point a finger at a given piece of hardware or software as THE source of a KP(or three), at least on my own machines.

Careful reading of logs. Posting here what works and what doesn't. You will get some ideas here on how to run some system optimization apps, like Cache Cleaner or the like. Mac OSX is SO complex that adding anything can cause something somewhere to have a problem. Frequently it is not directly related to an install, hardware or software, as much as it is in the way the system now handles a change. Overflowing a device stack list, getting a cache file so full that the system is choking on it. Lots of causes, the trick is fixing enough things that the problems go away.

Rick

ricks
09-11-2007, 02:48 PM
Oh yeah, one question.

What was the source for the Seagate drive? Was it an OEM marketed hard drive? Or was it specifically marketed as Retail?

Almost all the sale drives out there today are OEM drives. These are a time bomb waiting to go off. They can have literally any custom firmware on them imaginable, and often they don't work. No matter how cheap an OEM drive is it isn't cheap enough as far as I am concerned. Unfortunately you cannot know what possible results can come from a drive with unknown firmware. If in doubt, call Seagate and ask them if the drive has standard retail firmware. They will tell you if you give them a serial number. Well worth the trouble if you don't know. Make sure you ask them to look up the firmware and make certain. You don't care really if the drive is retail or not, only that the FIRMWARE on the drive is standard retail firmware.

Rick

bxs
09-12-2007, 04:57 PM
I have a Lycom LYCeSata 2-EMAC card, and I'm having some difficulty with it. I have it connected to a Seagate 300GB eSATA external hard drive (brand new). I can transfer data to/from the drives, but on occasion, when I am transferring data, OS X crashes and tells me I need to essentially power off / on.

I'm running OS X 10.4.10, and I've installed the latest drivers for the card.

Any thoughts anyone?

Thanks

Is there any correlation to when the KP occurs wrt amount of data read or data written? That is, does KP happen at approx same point after having written say 3 GB ?

Do you have another SATA HD you use to see if problem persists ?

Can you move the Seagate HD to another internal drive slot to see if problem persists (ie removing the Lycom card from the equation so to speak)?

Do you have another Mac you can install the Lcom in and try the Seagate HD there to see if problems moves to another Mac ?

Just some ideas - and I'm curious as I'm about to buy the Lycom from MacGurus along with the 5-bay Port Multiplier eSATA enclosure.

Thanks.... :)