PDA

View Full Version : SATA I to SATA II conversion

ProfBIn
09-01-2007, 10:30 AM
I purchased a Seritek 1S2 SATA card and a Hitachi DeskStar 7K250 160 MB SATA drive for my G3 with the expectation that I would be able to transfer the drive when I upgraded to a MacPro. My MacPro has now arrived and I note that the 7K250 drive is running at 1.5 Gb/s and the MacPro supports 3.0 Gb/s. In visiting the Hitachi website, it appears that the DeskStar can be upgraded to run at 3 Gb/s, but only using a utility that runs on PC. Any thoughts on how to upgrade the drive?

TZ
09-01-2007, 11:31 AM
There is no practical benefit. SATA II is a specification. There is negligible difference.

SATA 3Gbps is designed for multiple drives sharing one channel, as in Port Multiplier.

And you can just install Windows XP on one of your drives in Mac Pro.

ricks
09-01-2007, 11:49 AM
In agreement with TZ's answer, there is absolutely no benefit in performance in SATAII bus specification over a SATAI specification.

Mechanically, no SATA hard drive is able to operate faster than 100MB/sec. Not the fastest drive on the planet. SATAI, at 150MB/sec maximum supported bandwidth is more than plenty.

Like owning a car that can go maximum 70 MPH. Matters not at all if the guv'mint makes the freeway speed limit 150MPH or 300MPH, the car is still only going to make 70 on the downhill sections.

Most of the features that make up the SATAII specification are for server usage and don't increase desktop disk performance as a rule. They actually can cost some performance since they add overhead with no benefits. The 1.5 Gb/sec versus 3.0 Gb/sec portion of the specification is the least important and least useful difference between those two buses.

Also like TZ said, the only time you will actually see 3 Gb/sec giving real benefits is when we put multiple drives on one SATA cable. Even then, most of the port multiplier boards made today operate the drive connection at SATAI (good thing as it can't use all the features that are in the SATAII spec anyway) The connection between the port multiplier board and the host card are at SATAII specification. Another nice thing is that PM -> HBA connection also ignores most of those server specific functions (NCQ, TCQ, SSC and others) or we would have lots of troubles getting acceptable performance and compatibility with our systems.

I would say leave things as is and enjoy the simple speed. It will work perfectly and run as fast as that particular drive can run. Which is plenty fast.

Rick