PDA

View Full Version : Canon PowerShot stuff

kaye
08-18-2007, 12:18 PM
A couple of weeks ago, the wife came back from a trip and wanted me to transfer the photos to her iBook G4. Did that with a card reader as well as to my G5.

Put the CF card back in the Canon A75 and turned it on. Lens extended part way and lens cover shutter stuck part way open. Camera not on or off. Put the other set of batteries in. Same problem. Only after I asked her what was going on did she tell me she nearly exhausted both sets of batteries. I charged up both sets. No change.

I started looking for a new Canon camera and found a new model I liked but while on Canon's website decided to call Tech Support on Saturday August 4. There was actually a real person there. Told him the problem. Very patiently he instructed me step by step what to do. I told him that I had to put the phone down at each step.

To recover the Canon PowerShot A75 or A40 with the lens mechanism part way extended and/or lens cover shutter stuck part way open.

1. Remove the Compact Flash card and close the door.

2. Remove the 4 batteries and close the door.

3. Press and hold the On/Off button for several seconds. Do this 8 times. What this does is fully discharge any electrical charge in the camera.

4. Reinstall both the Compact Flash card and the 4 good batteries. Both doors closed.

5. Push and hold the On/Off button for several seconds. Do this multiple times until the camera fully recovers and the lens fully extends and lens cover shutter full open when On and lens fully retracts when Off and cover shutter full closed.

6. That's it. All photos were still on the CF card.

After that, I asked him what new camera model my wife would like. He said he just got the A570 IS and loves it.

Same model I had chosen. Lots of new features but what I like most:
Image Stabilizer
2.5 inch LCD
Four movie modes up to one hour
Face Detection technology
http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&fcategoryid=183&modelid=14905

Canon A570 IS ordered Sunday August 5, 2007 with Premium Package plus a 4GB Professional High Speed 133x SD Memory Card.
http://www.us1photo.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=3135 k

unclemac
08-18-2007, 08:10 PM
Crazy. Now we have hard reboot our cameras. :rolleyes:

Here is a post from the not-to-distant future:

Yesterday I had a two pieces of toast hung in my 64 bit iToast. Had to reset the TBCRAM (toast browning control RAM). Here is the procedure:

1. Unplug toaster.
2. Remove all toast.
3. Drain ABDT (automatic butter dispenser tank), BOT (butter overflow tank), and butter pump.
4. Remove ABDT and BOT tanks.
5. Move butter spreader arm to the parked position.
6. Remove TBPM (toast burn preventer monitor) backup battery.
7. Push and hold the following buttons: toast loader button, toast timer button and toast notifier alarm button.
8. While holding all buttons listed in step 7, plug in toaster. Toaster TBCRAM should reset.
9. Replace TBPM battery, reselect user all settings, reprogram clock and brownness selections, replace and refill ABDT and BOT, prime butter pump.
10. Toast.

Got my iToast booted and stable after the 4th attempt. Was 45 minutes late for work, but the toast was perfect! Thanks for the help toast gurus!!
;)

rguising
08-18-2007, 08:28 PM
30 years ago, one would never have guessed we would need to reboot our cars.

Guess rebooting toasters will be the norm in 10+... I do not think this is an exaggeration.

Crazy. Now we have hard reboot our cameras. :rolleyes:

Here is a post from the not-to-distant future:

Yesterday I had a two pieces of toast hung in my 64 bit iToast. Had to reset the TBCRAM (toast browning control RAM). Here is the procedure:

1. Unplug toaster.
2. Remove all toast.
3. Drain ABDT (automatic butter dispenser tank), BOT (butter overflow tank), and butter pump.
4. Remove ABDT and BOT tanks.
5. Move butter spreader arm to the parked position.
6. Remove TBPM (toast burn preventer monitor) backup battery.
7. Push and hold the following buttons: toast loader button, toast timer button and toast notifier alarm button.
8. While holding all buttons listed in step 7, plug in toaster. Toaster TBCRAM should reset.
9. Replace TBPM battery, reselect user all settings, reprogram clock and brownness selections, replace and refill ABDT and BOT, prime butter pump.
10. Toast.

Got my iToast booted and stable after the 4th attempt. Was 45 minutes late for work, but the toast was perfect! Thanks for the help toast gurus!!
;)

kaye
08-18-2007, 11:16 PM
Yeah crazy. I had not thought of it that way, but you guys are right, hard reboot of the camera with toasters in the future. k

unclemac
08-19-2007, 12:26 AM
Sadly, it is probably true.

Just don't get the latest Dell Optitoast. It comes with Vista Urban Kitchen Extreme OS, and hackers can crack it and find out if you prefer whole wheat or sourdough, and upload all your browning options to a bot toaster. Who wants virus infected toast? Yuck.

Seriously though, good info Kaye. I would have thought the camera was, well, toast, and chucked it. A good camera recommendation is always a plus too.

Macaholic
08-19-2007, 12:41 AM
Yep, Good info Kaye, as always.
I got a digital camera for a friend which is not working correctly,
so I'll try a similar " hard reboot".
Yes this is the world we live in...
Actually have " repaired" some automobiles using the same
" disconnecct battery" etc theory.
I just threw the bad toaster away.
:D

Dave

TZ
08-19-2007, 04:32 AM
The refrig that knows you are low on milk and that has internet access? And has an iSight so strangers can listen and see inside your kitchen?

Even cell phones can be turned on remotely and used to eavesdrop and GPS enabled. No warrant needed (for now, our FBI-NSA can do as they please, you are a terrorist!)

VoIP - and what is YOUR iPhone talking to when you aren't looking?

What a great little big camera with excellent pricing, though!

kaye
12-24-2007, 08:01 AM
Another success. My daughter sent me a photo of the GrandKids and Santa taken with a Nikon digital. The photo was all red. I forget what she thought the problem was but she said they were looking for a new digital camera. I emailed her with the Canon procedure and that fixed the Nikon. k

kaye
03-09-2008, 08:17 AM
Canon A75 is toast. After wife returned from India, I noticed the lens cover shutter was stuck part way open with camera off. With camera on, shutter opens fully. Tried the Canon procedure but no help. Camera works but now dust gets on the lens with the camera off and shutter part way open. Either she dropped it or had her finger on it and bent the shutter.

So I got the Canon A570is ready for her and she is off to SoCal to take care of the GrandKids. k

rwm
03-09-2008, 10:41 AM
Thats a bummer about the Canon A75. :(

kaye
03-09-2008, 06:18 PM
Thanks Randy, I may just send the A75 to Canon for repair. I need a camera here when she is gone traveling. k

kaye
03-13-2008, 08:52 AM
Called Canon Tech Support about repairing the Canon PowerShot A75. I was told it is too old, out of warranty, and that they would offer me an A540 refurb for about $100 shipped to me and a box to return the A75 shipped back at their cost. That would be cheaper than what it would cost for them to repair the A75. Ouch, I told him I could get another A570is brand new for $131 total cost including shipping and tax. He said you better do that, the A570is is a much better camera and new. k

kaye
03-31-2008, 06:27 AM
Canon PowerShot A570 IS (IS is Image Stabilizer)
So far, what I like:
1. Optical Image Stabilizer Technology keeps images crisp when the GrandKids can't sit still, even when zoomed way in, and automatically detects and corrects camera shake to prevent fuzzy or blurred shots with or without a flash.
2. Flash Type Built-In, Red-eye Reduction Flash. This Flash Red-eye Reduction is great. First Canon I have where it really works extremely well without any touchup in iPhoto or Photoshop.
3. LCD Panel Size 2.5in. diagonal, LCD Coverage 100%.
4. Battery Type 2xAA Batteries.
5. Video Resolutions 320x240 (QVGA), 640x480 (VGA).
Video Speed 30fps.
Max Movie Length Without Limit (depends on the camera free memory size, up to 60min. with 4GB card, can be much longer at lower movie settings, 5 settings).
Video Format AVI Motion JPEG.
6. Weight 0.39lb.
7. AutoFocus Range 18in. to Infinity, Macro Focus Range 2-18in. (wide), 12-18in. (tele).

Much more, but I'll keep it simple.

What I don't like:
1. Batteries and memory card are very close together in a single compartment underneath the camera body. My previous Canons have 2 compartments. But then they use 4xAA and CF so they need more room. Can't have everything I guess. k