PDA

View Full Version : Installing an ATA133 host in FW800 MDD/cable placement

klinger2004
08-11-2007, 06:26 PM
Hi. I installed a Sonnet ATA133 card in the pci slot of my FW800 MDD. The drive is in the cage right by the processor, so the only way I can connect a cable between that drive and my pci card is to let it lay over the processor.

Will that be ok? Should I be concerned about heat issues for the processor, or possibly damaging the cable? Any other solutions to this? I got this maxed out with drives at the moment.

Thanks
Eric

unclemac
08-12-2007, 12:29 AM
I don't think heat will be an issue, but abrasion might. I had to do the same with a couple of MDDs with SCSI cables (which are 10 times more expensive than SATA). I wrapped the SCSI cable with some duct tape to protect them where they would cross the heat sink, and they are still running 24/7 several years later.

I'd say give it a go. Worst case, you eat a SATA cable. They're cheap! Either that, or see if you can find a better route with a longer cable.

klinger2004
08-12-2007, 12:44 AM
Thanks, unclemac, I am pondering spending $35 on one of those extra long ata cables from Gurus... maybe I can route it around the side of the heatsink. But maybe I'll give it a go with just laying it over top of the heatsink... if not just for now... even after running the MDD for several hours (nothing too major though) the MDD heatsink wasn't very hot... it was pretty warm though.

Thanks.