View Full Version : Raid Card for Mac Pro

08-09-2007, 08:50 AM
Hi Guys,

I am almost ready to make the jump and order a MacPro.

What's your advice regarding the best investment:

Providing that I will definetly invest in 8GB of RAM, would you spend $999 on the new Raid Card or $799 to upgrade from 2.66 to the 3.0 GHz processor?

What's the most effective and best investment?

I use it with Photoshop CS3 + Lightroom with 70MB to about 500MB layered PSD files



08-09-2007, 09:14 AM
You don't mention reading the Apple Mac Pro RAID (http://www.macgurus.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24010) card thread or the Mac Pro FAQ (http://www.macgurus.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22544).

I would wait until I needed to buy.

And then I would buy as much as I could get a return on it two years.

3GHz = 14% boost. Not a big return. Better to get 8-core if you think your work and budget allows to 'future proof' your system @ $1499.

No, we don't see spending $999 for Apple RAID.

I know 2008 will have better options, there could be new graphics this fall. And quad core could become standard (2.33 or 2.66 along with 3.33).

You should be fine with base system and 8GB RAM and load it up with 4 x 500GB drives or even 4 x 750GB.

The stock 7300GT isn't bad either. So don't feel you need X1900. It has been around, and people are waiting to see something better.

08-09-2007, 11:24 AM
Thank you TZ,

I will probably go for the 2.66 with 8GB ram for now.

Switching from my G4 Dual 1.25Ghz will be like driving a Ferrari, especially since I use CS3.

I just can't wait!

I am still not sure how to set up the 4 internal HD. I have two burly 4 and 8 bays for my back-ups and scratch disks now.
I have read almost all MacGurus posts regarding possibilities, but am not sure yet. Rick has a nice simple system with 2 500GB one for OS and one for users backing up on each other.
But I have a 74GB raptor (currently my OS) and two 150GB raptors (currently RAID 0 x CS3 Scratch, then a bunch of 500GB Hitachis.
Any clever configuration to take advantage of all of the above would be quite welcome.

Thanks again,


08-09-2007, 11:37 AM
You can't really go wrong. And you can do it almost any way you want.

Want a 10K Raptor boot drive? go for it. Or RAID those two you have.

4 x 500GB for scratch?

Or use two Raptors for scratch. 150MB/sec right there.

You have 6 SATA channels to work with.

The only thing you'll probably need to look for is PCI Express controller to drive your Burly.

08-09-2007, 11:51 AM
OK. So here's my ultimate idea:

2 x 74GB Raptors RAID 0 internal for the OS
2 x 150GB Raptors RAID 0 internal for Users

4 x 250GB RAID 0 external for CS3 Scratch

All with the necessary back-ups.

Is this overkill in your opinion?

Second option would be Rick's system based on 2 basic 500GB one for OS and one for Users backing up on themsleves + 2 x 150Gb Raptors RAID 0 internal for CS3 Scratch.

Come on, help me out.



08-09-2007, 12:17 PM
Over-kill in places.
OK. So here's my ultimate idea:

2 x 74GB Raptors RAID 0 internal for the OS
2 x 150GB Raptors RAID 0 internal for Users
4 x 250GB RAID 0 external for CS3 Scratch

Come on, help me out. ;-)

Francesco I have not found it helpful to boot from Raptor in RAID. Maybe if you need 150GB then you have a tie.

Raptors can be audible or worse. The Mac Pro is very quiet. The 10K Raptor I JUST bought is better, but last year.... it would 'howl' or 'whine' and cause the cause to have harmonic vibration.

I don't like 250GB drives. Okay but not great.
I think it is way over kill to put home on Raptor RAID and waste of good drives.

I thought you had a 'fleet' of 500GB drives sitting in the garage ;-)

08-09-2007, 12:34 PM
Thanks TZ.

I think I will probably put that bunch of 500s to good use. ;-)

I will find a use for the lonely 74 Raptor...maybe ebay...

Now I can't wait to order the Mac Pro and set it up.

Speak soon,