PDA

View Full Version : Issue with WD400GB SATA'a

Davey
07-31-2007, 02:26 AM
Hi all,
I've been running 2 large S-ATA boxs, each containing 5 400GB WD drives. Had 'em going for quite some time now. Probably almost a year or coming up to that. The 10 drives in these 2 boxes are set up as 5 800GB RAIDs. One of the RAID's just doing some crazy stuff though. It would not come up always. You might have to shut the box down and start it up again, despite the fact that the other raids in there did show up. Then when I did get the raid in question to come up on the desktop, the finder crashed when I tried to access that Raid. That led me to assume that either the RAID was corrupted or one of the drives in that raid was bad. Is there a way that I can test my drives individually, to see if one of them has gone bad, before I go ahead and re-install the contents of that RAID frommy back up raid?

Thanks for your thoughts. Aloha

Sean

ricks
07-31-2007, 08:51 AM
More information required:

What computer
What host card
What firmware on the host card
How are the drives attached? (port multiplier?)
What OS?
Did the OS get changed since the creation of the RAID?
How full are the RAIDs?

Those off hand are the first questions I can think of. Probably more once we have an idea of what you have there.

Rick

Davey
07-31-2007, 11:21 AM
What computer
Apple MAc Pro

What host card
Sonnet Tempo serial ATA E4

What firmware on the host card
Not sure how to check, but I did at one stage update the firmware.

How are the drives attached? (port multiplier?)
2 x Sonnet Fusion 500P each running one S-ATA cable into the Tempo card

What OS?
OSX 10.4.9

Did the OS get changed since the creation of the RAID?
I'm sure, it's been updated since.

How full are the RAIDs?
All RAIDs 800GB (2 x 400GB each)
Raid 1: OUT (should be same as RAID 3)
RAID 2: capacity: 744.97gb used: 649.87gb
RAID 3: capacity: 744.97gb used: 703.11gb
RAID 4: capacity: 744.97gb used: 672.12gb
RAID 5: capacity: 744.58gb used: 428.06gb (this Raid is internal)
RAID 6: capacity: 744.97gb used: 444.62gb

All Raids except 5 are external inside the Sonnet boxs.
RAID 1 is backed up by RAID 3
RAID 2 is backed up by RAID 4
RAID 5 is backed up by RAID 6
All RAIDS are striped.

TZ
07-31-2007, 11:35 AM
Have you ever read that volumes should be kept to below 85-90% utilization? That would mean something like closer to 650GB for 744GB.

ricks
07-31-2007, 12:02 PM
Too full. Way too full. You can lose a lot of data that way.

Check the firmware. That is important. Use Apple System Profiler. Look at the card first, and then look in the Extension folder in Profiler for active extensions - look for the Sonnet extension and get the version number off of it. Different firmware can cause different issues.

If the problem is one particular RAID set, move the two drives to different bays and see if that fixes it. I'll bet though that they are just too full. I wouldn't run any of them over 560 GB, 75% of full. After that you run the risk of index damage. ANd the one out is the one that is at maximum capacity.

Rick

Davey
07-31-2007, 07:29 PM
yeah, I've heard that about not filling the drives too much. I'll have to make some adjustments. I logged onto Sonnet and downloaded their latest driver this morning. I"ve been trying to reformat the 2 drives which made up the RAID that went bad. Seems that one of them will reformat ( or "erase" ) but he othe rgives me some kind of message about not being able to access the drive. I think it's a bad drive.....

Sean

Davey
08-02-2007, 03:12 PM
Yeah, I called WD about that drive and they swapped it out for me. That's a really good thing about those guys. They give you good service and a good warranty. I've also ordered 4 more drives which I'm throwing into 2 of my dormant SATA boxs. Oh yeah, if any of you guys are looking, I have 2
Mercury Elite pro boxs for sale. They each take 2 eSATA drives and use serial ATA plugs (not the L shaped one, but the newer one) Feel free to throw a price at me guys....

Sean

ricks
08-02-2007, 05:58 PM
They ain't Burlys :D

Davey
08-03-2007, 03:45 PM
Wow! I love the look of that 8 bay beast on your Burly page! Might be time to get rid of the Sonnets already. Then again, that would mean having to buy new cards and god knows what else. It's a never ending saga....

Aloha

Sean

ricks
08-03-2007, 07:55 PM
Why would you have to buy new cards? Burly is MADE to run with Sonnet, CalDigit and Lycom cards. Not to mention a few others.

Davey
08-05-2007, 06:41 PM
Of course, you are correct. I was echoing more the frustrations actually of buying a new computer. That's usually when you have to buy new cards, at least from my own experiences anyway. I've rearranged my RAIDS in a big way now. It's way more efficient than it was and I'm keeping the contents down below 80%. Thanks for the advice fellas. It's all pretty much back under control again.

Cheers

Sean