PDA

View Full Version : Shared Library Problems

futuremediasystems
07-14-2007, 02:37 PM
I want to create a shared library on my Panther server, but it doesn't seem to happen . I really can't work out what I am doing wrong, but it must be me, because Googling doesn't reveal anyone else with the same problem.

First of all you need to know that I have network home directories, and these work fine. The share point for the home directories is:
MacintoshHD5/U

For test purposes I have created this directory that I want as a shared library:
MacintoshHD5/Eric

In WGM I have given this read access to group and world, have shared it with AFP and allowed guest access.
I have checked "create a mount record" , using AFP, and checked "Use for shared library"
I can save these changes in WGM with no error messages.
Server admin has "enable guest access" checked for the AFP protocol

Now if I go to a 10.3.9 client and reboot, if I go to /Network I can see an alias for Library. Great. So I click it - but what I see is the contents of the share point U NOT Eric.

Also, if I manually mount the share Eric by on the client, choosing "Go" from the finder, I DO see Eric with the CORRECT contents.

I have now fallen off the edge of my knowledge.

if I use the inspector in WGM, all look sanitary, though I don't really know what I am looking at.

I assume that the fact that mounting Eric manually shows the correct contents indicates that there is nothing wrong with the disc or the folders themselves.
So it looks to me that some table or database entry somewhere has the wrong entry - it is sharing U when it should be sharing Eric.

But I don't know where to look or how to fix it.

I'd be VERY grateful for any help - this is driving me mad!

rwm
07-15-2007, 03:09 PM
I am not real familiar with what your doing. Someone should respond. I'll do a little reading ... it don't sound that hard. I hope. :rolleyes:

What hardware are you using?

futuremediasystems
07-15-2007, 03:32 PM
I am not real familiar with what your doing. Someone should respond. I'll do a little reading ... it don't sound that hard. I hope. :rolleyes:

What hardware are you using?

Thanks for your reply. Server HW is G4/733. Client HW is mainly G5 1.6, though also tried with same results on G4 1.42 mini, G4/733, eMac.

Without really knowing what the exact mechanism for sharing is.....
- What I see in WGM is what I want
- the wrong folder is being shared
- sharing behaviour is otherwise OK (ie with other shares)
- there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the folder I am tying to share

So the conclusion must be that the thing that actually does the sharing - whatever it is - is somehow seeing a wrong prameter or wrong table entry somewhere. For some reason maybe WGM is pushing out bad data - I think this is plausible, maybe an historical table entry not been fully deleted - I have certainly seen behaviour like this in other bits of WGM.

But what does the sharing, and how do I tell what it is being told to do by WGM?

Thanks for any suggestions.

unclemac
07-16-2007, 12:42 AM
Well, I can't give you all the nitty gritty as to how, but I can tell you what I have done.

As of 10.4 Server, you can use ACLs instead of POSIX permissions, and they just work better. Doesn't help with 10.3.9 though.

First, a simple question: Have you tried making aliases of your mounted shared on the client? Always worked for me, all the way back to 10.2 Server. Just do a manual mount of the share, and make an alias, or drag it to the file side of the Dock.

Other things to try: If you are only really using file sharing (and none of the other Server services) you should look at a great little helper tools from HornWare (http://www.hornware.com/). Sharepoints gives you everything you need to run AFP and SMB sharing from any Mac, no Server OS required. Lots of folks using this, even with Server, as it give a bit more control.

Greentree_uk
07-16-2007, 06:28 AM
can you clarify what you mean by a shared library. do you mean a common system component library on something else?

futuremediasystems
07-16-2007, 01:01 PM
Well, I can't give you all the nitty gritty as to how, but I can tell you what I have done.

As of 10.4 Server, you can use ACLs instead of POSIX permissions, and they just work better. Doesn't help with 10.3.9 though.

First, a simple question: Have you tried making aliases of your mounted shared on the client? Always worked for me, all the way back to 10.2 Server. Just do a manual mount of the share, and make an alias, or drag it to the file side of the Dock.

Other things to try: If you are only really using file sharing (and none of the other Server services) you should look at a great little helper tools from HornWare (http://www.hornware.com/). Sharepoints gives you everything you need to run AFP and SMB sharing from any Mac, no Server OS required. Lots of folks using this, even with Server, as it give a bit more control.

Thanks, but no.

1. As simple alias won't work becuause I want a Library that is going to be mounted at /Network/Library and needs to be there before all my automatically started applications launch. Ok I *could* not automatically launch anything, mount the share manually, and then launch my applications. But this sucks, and makes my login at work each day more difficult. Hey, this is a computer, it is meant to ease my workflow not make it more difficult! I really need /Network/Library to automount.......

2. Alas, I *am* using lots of other server services, so I don't thinl hornware is the right thing.

I'm afraid I think I really do need ot work out what is wrong and fix it.......

futuremediasystems
07-16-2007, 01:05 PM
I mean "Shared Library" as in the sharing pane of WGM.

On OS X you have ~/Library and /Library on your machine.
You can also have /Network/Library which is shared over the LAN.

The object of the exercise is that I need mail rules (for Mail.app) shared across the company, and I think / hope that putting them in /Network/Library is the way to do it.

But that means I need the sharepoint /Network/Library to work.........

futuremediasystems
07-18-2007, 01:26 AM
It seems it is a bug with AFP.

if I change all my AFP shares to NFS, all of a sudden it starts behaving properly.

There is also a probem with AFP thrashing and using all the CPU, so using NFS shares seems the way to go.

Sorted.