07-10-2007, 11:22 AM
do i need more RAM in my xserve?

page in/out is at 46439/3129
this is a basic fileserver with 5 workstations attached

attached is a grab

thanks!

TZ
07-10-2007, 11:44 AM
Servers love to have memory for caching indexes and frequent requests. Crucial posted an article on "how more memory improves performance of database servers."

I'd say 1.5GB is "minimum" for the G5 architecture, regardless of use, the 'sweet spot' for average users doing lite stuff like email, web, etc.

A 1 or 2GB upgrade would be my suggestion and see if that doesn't help smooth things over. 4GB normally would be what I would be using, and 3.5GB is 'close enough.'

Greentree_uk
07-10-2007, 11:50 AM
I'd want to see where that 1.5gb is going first. I can't see where the memory is being used. I have many a server with 1.5gb and they're serving many more clients than yours

jacob
07-10-2007, 11:55 AM
yeah, i noticed that too about the memory. i don't see where its going either.

can you suggest a method for finding leaks?

TZ
07-10-2007, 11:57 AM
Crucial Library: server memory benchmark tests (http://www.crucial.com/library/server_memory_benchmark_tests.asp?CPE=NLC-908TD9773551&cid=1%2D2F9DFO)

OS X 'caches' disks, disk I/O and we use to load DB indexes into memory as a "virtual volume" to page fix as much of the index. I assume that Tiger and any of today's server apps would do the same. Those RAID controllers are caching for you, too, with 256MB and upgradable to 1GB.

Greentree_uk
07-10-2007, 12:00 PM
have you tried restarting the server? what services do you have running? I think you're running a software raid. that could cause the memory to be higher. you could go into terminal and use top command. I have servers with less memory serving 50 - 60 clients

jacob
07-10-2007, 12:07 PM
ah yes-- i have a backup raid attached to the server as a software raid. i forgot about that. good thinking, man.

unclemac
07-10-2007, 11:29 PM
It would be good to know when/why/where the inactive memory is being tied up. How does it look after a fresh reboot?

I have seen a couple of our boxes in a similar state, but have not done my homework to know what inactive might entail. Our xserve doing only file share duty only has 1 GB of RAM and I see few page outs with up to about 20 users.

Have not looked at TZs links yet either....

Nicolas
07-11-2007, 02:20 AM
Yes, software RAIDs can mess up an entire server over the time, also some RAID software is known to have memory leaks under Linux/Windows but I never setup an OSX Server running Software RAID, always hardware.

What is a memory leak:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memory_leak

How to detect memory leaks in OSX:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Developer_Tools#MallocDebug

1.5GB RAM for a Fileserver looks sufficient...
As some sugested turn off all services not needed.
If it is the RAID Software... you are about to change it right? (if I am looking at you other thread ;) )

Regards

Nicolas