PDA

View Full Version : Quick q about Lycom vs. other PCIx PM SATAs

slightly
06-09-2007, 11:19 AM
Hi

I'm in the market for a new PCI-x SATA card (for a dual 2.5GHz PMG5) - right now I have the Firmtek Seritek 1VE4, but I'm forever swapping my external drives around, and I'd like to get into port multiplication.

So, the three PM-compatible cards mentioned on the MacGurus PCI card page (http://www.macgurus.com/productpages/sata/PCISATAHostCards.php) are the Sonnet X4P, the Caldigit FASTA-4x and the Lycom 4-port card. The firs two are around $300, the Lycom is $90. The specs look comparable. Is there any reason not to go with the Lycom, or will I get better reliability/support with either of the others?

Thanks!

Matt

ricks
06-09-2007, 11:42 AM
Lycom card is superb in PCI-X Macs. Great buy and a high performance card. Right card for you. Works with any drives, which is a blessing.

For other readers, we don't recommend it, or any card with 3124 SIlicon Image chips, in PCI G5s. They have some problem there that we are hoping the newest chipset revision will resolve. Still have testing to do there.

Rick

slightly
06-09-2007, 01:01 PM
Thanks Rick - speedy and helpful reply as ever. I'll order a Lycom this week.

Cheers

Matt

ricks
06-09-2007, 02:14 PM
You are most welcome. Great question, BTW, one that needs better addressing on the PCI/PCI-X SATA Host card Category page. I put it on the list. thanks!

Rick

Jason F
09-01-2007, 11:43 PM
Rick-

Any update on those 3124 SIlicon Image chipsets?

I need to pick up 2 eSATA cards, and the Lycoms have a great price point- problem is, I'm putting them in to a Dual 1.8G5, so it's PCI only.

If you couldn't use the Lycoms, what would your next choice be?

Thanks for the advice and the help Rick!

ricks
09-02-2007, 10:26 AM
Only card worth using is the Sonnet X4P in PCI machines. Still the right card since it has Marvell chipset. Bug is still there on the Sil Image chipset.

Rick

Jason F
09-02-2007, 10:05 PM
Rick-

Not even the Seritek/1VE4 that you guys are selling?

Thanks for the help... I just wish I would have known about this SI chip problem before I bought 2 cards from someone else. :-(

ricks
09-02-2007, 11:38 PM
Seritek 4 port cards have Intel Chipset. Won't work with most newer hard drives and is not Port Multiplier Capable!

Drives it will work with:

Seagate 7200.8

Hitachi Deskstars... early ones that don't have SSC. New ones won't work.

WD Caviar.

Most new drives do not work except the WD's.

Rick