PDA

View Full Version : Sunsway/ST Lab ExpressCard eSATA 1P

Crispychris
05-31-2007, 04:54 AM
Hi Guys. you can pick up one of these cards in the Uk for £21. But Sunsway have no mention of mac compatibility. That could just be the sales guys ignorance of anything other than winXP! I contacted Sunsway and 1 guy said yes it was compatible and another said no. Komplett who sell it in the UK have no idea and wont test it, so I thought why not ask those helpful chaps at Mac gurus.
Is it just a badged Lycom card?

ricks
05-31-2007, 08:56 AM
Unfortunately, I have never heard of it. Sorry. You can compare pictures, check chipsets, things like that. Probably just a relabel.

Rick

Crispychris
05-31-2007, 12:43 PM
Does this shed any light on it?

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=328492 is the link to the Komplett product page.

http://www.st-lab.com/products.asp should get you to the manufacturer.

this is their specifiction.
Interface: SATA II ExpressCard
----------------------------------------------------------
* Compliant with ExpressCard Specification 1.0
* ExpressCard/34 Form Factor Module
* Industrial Standard External SATA (eSATA) Interface
* Supports Serial ATA Generation 2 Transfer Rate of 3.0Gbps
* Supports Hot Plugging on External Serial ATA Port
* Supports Native Command Queue (NCQ)
* Supports Windows® 2000, XP and Server 2003
----------------------------------------------------------
OS Support: Windows® 2000 /XP /Server 2003
---------------------------------------------------

ricks
05-31-2007, 01:37 PM
Does this shed any light on it?

Quite literally impossible to tell. The specs are totally generic, would match any device. They give no download support for drivers, so you cannot even compare those. Sorry, a crapshoot to even pretend to guess.

Crispychris
06-01-2007, 01:50 AM
The manual for their 2 port card mentions this in their instructions.

"6. Select Silicon Image SiI 3132 SATALink Controller for
Windows XP/Server 2003, then press Enter."

Alas there is no mention in their 1 port manual!

I think I need to find a friend who is traveling to the states so I can pick up one of your lycom cards!

ricks
06-01-2007, 09:32 AM
Lots of cards we try all use the same Silicon Image drivers. Even though they may come with their own drivers we usually don't even need to install them if we used a different Sil Image device with the same chips. You probably could use that card fine in a Mac.

If you like, you can get inexpensive stuff like a Lycom card from us and we'll use airmail to send it. SHould be able to get the cost way down for shipping. Send me an email if interested, I'll work up a quote for you. Need an address so the warehouse can check with USPS. support@macgurus.com

Rick

Crispychris
06-04-2007, 07:33 AM
Thanks I will bear that in mind. Its a little frustrating shopping in the uk.. much less choice and if I find something that will do the job it is usually 2x the price of the USA.

TZ
06-04-2007, 07:39 AM
You can do well shopping at
www.amazon.com/uk/ for many items.

And ask. MacGurus (and others) ship to UK.

hillzzz
01-23-2012, 05:24 PM
I had a look for the Mac Driver for the ST Labs eSata 2 Port Expresscard on the disk that comes with it. Mine is labeled Driver CD Rom Version 13. In the Expresscard directory is a file called SiI3132_1.1.9u_Sil_Pkg.pkg this proved to be a universal Binary which would not run with Lion. However a quick google search for a SiI3132 Mac OSX driver found a later version of the Driver SiI3132_1.2.5.0_Sil_Pkg.mpkg which works fine on my late 2001 Macbook pro running Lion.

The card started running as soon as the driver was installed no reboot needed.

Good luck

ricks
01-23-2012, 06:04 PM
Silicon Image's driver version 1.2.5 mostly either will not work at all or eventually fails. I would not recommend it.

Why would you post on a 5 year old thread this information? It has been covered in a lot of current posts.