PDA

View Full Version : Old SATA Drives in Burly 8 Bay w/Port Multiplier

adams
05-18-2007, 08:35 PM
Will my old SATA (1.5Gb/s) work in this particular enclosure? Thanks for any help.

Adam

Nicolas
05-19-2007, 12:48 AM
Hello Adam,

welcome to MacGurus!

This depends on the used Interface card not on the enclosure (for the normal Burly) for the Port Multiplier version please wait for Ricks answer, as far as I know, it should work there too.

Regards

Nicolas

TZ
05-19-2007, 04:52 AM
It always help to include more of the what and details to know and so Ricks, Nicolas can help out.

Mac
Controller card
Drive: make and model

adams
05-19-2007, 07:14 AM
This card: tsataE4P - Sonnet Tempo E4P PCIe external 4 port host card

Adam

TZ
05-19-2007, 08:01 AM
Well, I guess you have Mac Pro or late model 2005/2006 G5 Dual-Core. Sonnet PCIe supports SATA II and backwards.

Not sure why the question, or why the make/model of the drive is in question.

adams
05-19-2007, 08:51 AM
Apple just replaced my unfixable G5 with a Mac Pro, so I've had to replace all my PCI-X cards with PCIe equivalents. I decided to upgrade some equipment now as well, including getting the 8 Bay Burly Enclosure with port Multiplier.

I read in the Mac Pro manual that the drives that can go into the system should be SATAII. From this, I assumed that SATA and SATAII drives must be different enough that they can't be used in the same enclosure.

I guess my assumption is wrong and that SATA and SATAII drives can be used in this enclosure with this card.

Thanks for all your help.

Adam