PDA

View Full Version : souping an iMac G5 for CS2

daveseeley
05-12-2007, 11:18 AM
Hi guys,

I bought an iMac G5 1.8 with 1gig memory to take to a convention and work on the floor. I decided to spend a grand on a used one, rather than a pricier laptop...which may be folly...but it is what it is. I do have a 1ghz G4 17" pb with a gig of ram hat I could use, and may if you tell me I should.

The main way to upgrade the G5 appears to be replacing the hard drive with a 150gb sata raptor. The current baracuda that is came with does about 15mb/sec on the large file quickbench (ugh)...while the raptor, attached via esata to my dual 2.5ghz G5 desktop does about 100mb/sec. The only other upgrade I see is maxing the memory to 2gb. The unit has a 20" screen which is nicer than the powerbook..... external drives are limited to fw 400!!!! yuck.

Alternately, the pb has the same cruddy internal 5400 drive it came with, and one gig of ram, which I hate to upgrade, because I may go for the next gen pb, which may be announced soon. I do have two external sata maxtor 300gb maxline 7200 drives that I can raid, and use via a firmtek pcmcia card to speed up the pb (I could also raid them via usb 2 on the imac, but I suspect that would bottleneck on the usb bus), ...and I could boot the pb via fw 800 to the very same 150gb raptor....which means toting 3 external drives along with the pb....which is about as much weight as the iMac rig.

Thanks for any thoughts!

Dave

TZ
05-12-2007, 02:19 PM
You can't put a 10K Raptor in an iMac.... or can you? Mine runs very cool, but, not all G5s can use the current Raptors either.

Check www.xlr8yourmac.com and see if anyone has.
I'd think putting 500GB drive would be about as good as it gets.

I think a grand for G5 is too much though. What does a current C2Duo iMac go for?

I think CardBus and drives on PB looks better. And you can always ? hook up a larger monitor when you get there.

Boots
05-12-2007, 03:29 PM
My girl has an iMac G5 2GHz w/ a 250GB 16MB cache 7200rpm Maxtor hd in it. The drive is an excellent performer. I think the big cache really makes a difference.
I stuffed the max of 2GB RAM in it for her; she uses Photoshop CS and it really does quite well on normal digicam pics and smallish (<100MB) files.

daveseeley
05-12-2007, 03:45 PM
My girl has an iMac G5 2GHz w/ a 250GB 16MB cache 7200rpm Maxtor hd in it. The drive is an excellent performer. I think the big cache really makes a difference.
I stuffed the max of 2GB RAM in it for her; she uses Photoshop CS and it really does quite well on normal digicam pics and smallish (<100MB) files.

Thanks TZ and Boots... I see that you can indeed put a raptor in this machine via the TZ suggested xlr8 link. Someone did it with no addle noise/heat. I'd likely put in the ram as well. Looks like to get the the hard drive, you need to pop the foil taped lcd panel from the case....looks slightly hairier than I'd like, but I'm up for hte disection.....

Cheers

Dave

daveseeley
05-20-2007, 10:59 AM
Hi Guys.... finally got the window to do the mods....and upped memory to 2gb, and installed the raptor 150gb drive, which was a snap and appears to be fine as a clone of my G5 2.5 dual desktop. Here's the rub... The raptor quickbenches on the extended 20-100mb file test on my desktop G5 at 82mb/sec read, 90mb/sec write. In the G5 1.8 iMac, the same drive quickbences at 82mb/sec read, 23mb/sec write. Why is the write speed hobbled? Any way around this, or am I back to my 1ghx G4 powerbook?

Cheers

Dave

daveseeley
05-20-2007, 11:31 AM
BTW....an external maxtor 500gb drive on the firewire 400 bus attached to the newly souped iMac quickbenches at 40mb/sec read, 36mb/sec write. How is it that the write speed on the firewire bus on a 7200rpm drive performs better than onboard SATA with a raptor?!!!!

D

TZ
05-20-2007, 11:38 AM
Are you using QuickBench4?

Probably a bug in iMac firmware. Was never tested with a Raptor and might be optimized for Maxtor or something. ?

I think you would find WD RE2/SE16 to make a great drive internal and in FW400 (SATA drive of course, the largest WD ATA drive now is 320GB except their own MyBook cases which I don't recommend anyone buy.

daveseeley
05-20-2007, 11:50 AM
quickbench 2.1

unclemac
05-20-2007, 02:15 PM
Before you go to far down this road, I would suggest upgrading Quickbench and doing some real world PS tests to see what you get.........you may be happily surprised.

daveseeley
05-21-2007, 06:22 AM
So after some testing...it appears that the iMac is roughly twice the speed of my powerbook (with the dual maxtor 300 sata raid). Saves are also faster to the iMac at about 75% of the time. I suspect the the save times (of a 1.3gb file) were dictated by the speed of the processor rather than the speed of the drives. Does this mean that a maxtor 500gb maxline 7200 is likely to be as fast as the raptor? I have a scratch partition on the raptor, that may be worth the drive speed increase.

Cheers

D

kaye
05-21-2007, 06:26 AM
One other point regardless of which version of QuickBench, always reboot if you have been doing almost anything before running QuickBench. If from a cold boot, I let the drive warm up too. And you can get erroneous readings if warm but you have been doing other things, more so with older versions. Reboot should solve that. I have not used QB4 enough to know if the above is still true. k