PDA

View Full Version : Sawtooth SATA upgrade formatting problem

Dumptrucker1
04-23-2007, 09:32 PM
I have a 400 sawtooth upgraded to 1.2 g w/powerlogix processor. I wanted to put a 250mb seagate SATA hd in, so I got a sata/ pci card from OWC, their 2 port card, and have had problems from the start.
Installed hard drive, and pci card, Disk Utility saw the HD, so i proceeded to formatting the drive. Highlighted the drive, and clicked on erase. It said, "Unmounting previous volume" for what seemed like a long time, so I figured formatting was going to be a long process, and went to bed. In the morning, checked for progress, and it still said unmounting previous volume. No option to quit, so I did an apple option escape. Now the drive is not mounted on desktop, still shows up on the disk utility, but when i try to format (erase) it doesnt do anything.
Figured I would try making sata the boot drive so I restarted, holding down "C" selected the drive, and installed OSX (10.2) off the disc. Install seemed to go fine, but when I restarted, got to the apple logo screen, and it had lines missing in it, and didnt go any further in booting. (kernal panic??)
Now when I restart, it seems that computer is trying to boot from new hard drive, but all i get is startup sound, and black screen.
when i disconnect sata cable, i can boot to old hard drive, though.
All this leads to the question, should I send the OWC SATA PCI card back and maybe get one from FirmTek, could the hard drive be bad, or am I overlooking something? any and all help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance, Tom

ricks
04-23-2007, 11:45 PM
Afraid I have no idea Tom. I have never tested or used any of the OWC cards. I don't know how they work, what chipset is on them or anything. You could have a problem with a drive, a problem with the card or something else. Procedure is everything when testing. Keep it simple. Boot to something else and test the drive first. If you cannot zero out a drive, then something is wrong with it or the bus. Best test there is. In Disk Utility, in Erase under Security Options is the write one pass of zeroes. This is a very definitive test of drive and bus. If it fails that, start looking for why.

Rick

unclemac
04-24-2007, 12:28 AM
As I recall, at least one of the OWC low end SATA cards is not bootable, so you should verify which card you have and if it supports booting before you beat yourself up. :)

You should be able to erase the drive and intialize as Rick said, with no issues. Once in a great while I have seen DU do something similar to what you describe, but a reboot and try again usually corrects it. If after a reboot you still cannot get the drive to intitialize, then either you have a DOA HD, or perhaps a bad SATA card and/or cable. ATA and SATA drive are occasionally DOA.......so you should be able to swap it out under warranty.

Not to nudge you off of MacGurus, but if you can't get the drive to behave, you will likely have to contact OWC to help diagnose what part(s) are in need of replacement, and how to go about it. Would be a good time to verify that the SATA card you have is bootable too.

Good luck, yell if we can help.

Don't forget that MacGurus sells and supports SATA drives and cards too. Rick does lots of testing, and only sells what he finds to be the most relaible and trustworthy gear to try and minimize these sort of frustrations, although they happen to all of us from time to time. Welcome to computers. :)