PDA

View Full Version : The Echoing Words of ricks...

Alan Klement
04-16-2007, 01:26 PM
So i bought a nifty gadget to add 2 more HD to my macpro (for a total of 6). During the whole setup process I could hear ricks words in my head..." I wouldn't add any more HDs than Apple designed for..." But hey, I mean, come on! would you take everything that someone says as irrefutable fact?...especially from someone who looks like one of the Super Mario Brothers?!!

Well....one of the drives I added (above the original 4) failed only a few hours after I installed it.....

hrmmmm...

Log story short, turns out that my forward most drive (closest to the CD tray doors) had overheated. It runs about 10 degrees hotter than any other drive, and just 10 degrees less than the maxium temp tolerance as stated by the manufactuers spec.

So, I dl a fan controller app to boost my fans RMP a touch. I use the drive only as a 3rd backup, and so far so good.

I'd suggest to anyone who adds to their MacPro this config, to use these extra hard drives as a backup that is accessed seldom.

Party on

Party on

Alan

Damien
04-16-2007, 03:44 PM
Ricks middle name is Luigi..... Luigi Corleone.. You really should listen to him