PDA

View Full Version : Buzzing Burly PMs

Conall
04-13-2007, 03:58 AM
Hallo there,
I am the proud owner of two 4-Bay Burly PM enclosures. I have noticed from time to time a buzzing noise that kicks in a few seconds(sometimes 2, sometimes 10) after powering on. It sounds like a fan at full rev, it doesn’t sound healthy. I have tried leaving the enclosure running for a few minutes but it doesn’t gear down. The only remedy is to leave it running for a minute or two, power off and power on again and repeat until I get a quiet start up. If it doesn’t kick in within the first 20 seconds or so its safe to power up the Mac and go to work. I used to have this problem intermittently on one of the bays, but now it seems to happen more often than not on both of them.

Has anyone encountered this before?
Thanks in advance for any input
Conall

frankpledge
05-13-2007, 06:55 AM
having the exact same problem.

why are there no responses? do we need to swap out fans?

did you find a solution by any chance?
fp

TZ
05-13-2007, 07:00 AM
I guess the post or thread didn't show up (and I look at 'em all but some things I leave for others).

Dust? RFI? like cell phone nearby causing interference? no idea why but it sounds like mechanical noise of some type?

Do the drives check out fine with Disk Warrior?

Do you have LCD or probe to get drive temp readings?

Burly PSU making the noise?

Is it on surge/UPS? or surge protection only?

ricks
05-13-2007, 10:21 AM
Until you identify what component is making the noise I wouldn't know how to answer this. Take the cover off the Burly and use a pencil erasure to stop the fans one at a time and see if it is a fan. If the Burly has hotswap trays they also have fans. Also, with tray mounted drives you can remove the tray so the drives are not spinning. If they are the problem this will tell you.

Determine what the problem is and we'll help you resolve it. I think I got a simultaneous email on the original post and dealt with it that way.

Rick

mattbrush
06-08-2010, 06:32 PM
I'm having the same problem. Lotta buzzing noise coming from my 5 bay burley.

I've cleaned it. I've even replaced an old fan a couple of months ago.

It's intermittent but happens every day. I'll leave my burly on at night and the noise gets so loud sometimes! I think I've isolated it down though.

When the drives aren't mounted, but still in the drive bay it doesn't make the noise. When I mount the drives (plug in the sata cable), the noise usually starts up in 10 seconds. It revs up and down all day long and I haven't pinned it down to a fan yet.

It's driving me mad!

Matt Brush

ricks
06-08-2010, 10:08 PM
2 Things....

Fan noise cannot have anything to do with drives, mounted or not. The fans run no matter what.

In almost all cases a fan is the problem. Best way to find the problem one is run the Burly with the cover off it. WHen the noise starts, immediately use a pencil erasure to stop the fans one after the other until you locate the problem.

No way to fix anything until we know which of the 7 fans is the problem.

Rick