PDA

View Full Version : suggestion for buying internal drive

Maosy
04-02-2007, 11:53 PM
Hello,

I am double-posting on this inquiry because I am not sure which forum group is the right one to ask. The other forum group is the SCSI forum group. Anyhow, here's my situation... About a couple years ago or so, I bought a DP 2.GHz G5. I upgraded the RAM to 2 Gig. The machine was running smooth until about a month after my warrenty expired. I started having trouble booting up the computer. To make a long story short, I believe my hard drive is fried. At that time, I had quite a few personal business that kept me very busy other than work. Hence, I didn't bother to figure out on what to do with the computer. Anyhow, I decided now that I want to replace the internal hard drive. However, I am kinda lost in touch with what kind of hard drive is good out in the market, that's compatible with my Mac. Can anyone give me some suggestion, advice, or anything that will assist me making the decision. I am a production designer by trade, and I want to get back to graphic design and also learn some web-design. I'll be looking forward to any response.

Thank you,

Maosy

M.Brane
04-03-2007, 12:10 AM
Well since your Mac uses SATA drives I deleted your thread in the SCSI forum since that's not really relevant. No biggie.;) Just easier to keep track of one thread.

Raptors are pretty much the most kick-ass SATA drives, and are compatible with your G5. I know there are some gotchas with certain drives with SSC, and G5s. I don't know the specifics, but there are those here who do.

TZ
04-03-2007, 05:12 AM
Only one of Raptor, the 74GB 8MB cache, will work natively with your G5. Otherwise, it requires a controller.

Most likely software. Nothing that a full erase + zero-all won't solve most of the time.

Diligence with maintenance, with repairs and backups, and clear out the cache folders from time to time, a must when updating the OS.

You can check SMART status, not reliable about predicting, or system log for the number of spare sectors used.

I would upgrade the drives now that 500GB are affordable, use the old drive for backup, and throw another 2GB RAM in there for your work.

Maosy
06-09-2007, 08:52 PM
I bought the Western Digital 150GB Raptor X SATA Internal 10k RPM. However, I do not know a good compatible PCI controller card. Anyone has a suggestion?:confused:

TZ
06-17-2007, 04:47 PM
If it is to be bootable, then FirmTek's SeriTek would be one choice. OWC has a controller that may work also.

For your 2.0DP G5 you could have just popped a standard 500GB drive from most any vendor in there w/o the need for a controller. Of course if you want the absolutely fastest, you might want the Raptor 150GB. But you spend almost as much as 2 500GB drives.

As to why you had trouble... backups, emergency boot drive, superduper for cloning and always use Disk Warrior to repair your backups and your boot drive. Don't trust just Disk Utility.

I put a new thread over in the FAQ on "Raptor (http://www.macgurus.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23775)" so that one message thread has most of info and links I have been aware of.