PDA

View Full Version : SATA Drive suggestions

RGFrog
03-30-2007, 04:14 PM
I have a Dual 2.5/G5 (PCI-x) with the original 1S2 card from firmtek connected to an external burly case.

I currently have the two externals and the one internal free bay filled with Hitachi 7k250's (250GB). However, I'm now in need of replacing all 3 with larger capacity drives.

I've been told to pretty much stay away from Seagate for the external as they don't work well with the 1S2... and the 7k250's were the recommended drives and have been great performers.

I'd like to replace them all with 500GB drives, but I'd like to do it with the least hassle. If the 7k500's from Hitachi work with the 1s2 and the g5 as well as the 7k250's, then I'd be fine going with that. However, with everything else I tend to choose Seagate drives.

Are there still issues with the seagates as far as the g5 is concerned or is it ok now to use the 7200.10's without a performance hit?

I've had too many issues with maxtor and WD recently to even bother considering those :(

Any suggestions, opinions, and help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Ron

ricks
03-30-2007, 06:19 PM
The only issues with Seagate drives are with Seritek cards. And most times not even that. The hitachi drives will work with the Seritek/1S2 or internal. The Hitachi drives won't work with the Seritek 4 port cards.

Got it? Seems like we almost have SCSI voodoo with all the stuff we gotta remember.

Rick

RGFrog
03-30-2007, 07:58 PM
Thanks, Rick.

Initially I was hoping to be able to go with a big Seagate in the G5 and a 7k500 in the burly... But then I started finding a whole mess of posts about how the 72.10's were having issues with the g5's and mac pro's but none with any resolution.

Thanks for clearing it up for me :)

M.Brane
03-30-2007, 09:02 PM
The Hitachi drives won't work with the Seritek 4 port cards.

Did you mean Seagate? My Hitachi 7K250 works fine on my SeriTek 1V2E2.

ricks
03-30-2007, 09:30 PM
The 4 port Seritek cards, with their Intel chipsets, won't work with Spread Spectrum Clocking enabled. All the new Hitachi drives have been updated to include that feature EXCEPT the 250 GB drives. They are literally the only drives that now work with the Seritek 4 port cards.

The issue with the Seagate drives and all the Firmtek cards is unrelated, something to do with a firmware incompatibility. We have been warned not to use them in that combination.

Rick

M.Brane
03-30-2007, 09:46 PM
Woah! Looks like I dodged a bullet on that one eh? I was thinking of getting a 7K500 originally, but then decided 250GB was enough for now.

Might wanna add that info to the drive page.;)

TZ
03-31-2007, 06:40 AM
So when did Hitachi go back to SSC?

AMUG said the very latest 500GB won't work in Mac Pro, but there was only a brief period (2004?) where they had SSC on a few models, then disabled it.

Seagate's have poor I/O on Mac Pro so we steer anyone away, and the one person that bought one and tried to zero a 500GB drive - took 5x longer than it should. Instead of an hour, more like 9 hrs.

WD has been great for me and Mac Pro. For RAID, just stay with RE or RE2 series (or Raptor).

It is hard to make a list, but... vendors use to.

RGFrog
03-31-2007, 08:25 PM
well, color me all confused again...

So the 7k500's have problems now, too, with the 1s2 due to SSC or am I reading it wrong?

Should I just stick with 72.9's where I can?

Sheesh, if it's this bad now, I can only imagine the headache when I get my new mac pro (waiting for the quad core's) and build out my raid's... uggh.

On a lighter note, I finished a huge video project and went to clean off a firewire drive to make a temp backup before going to dvd... well, boy and girls, even if you've been doing this stuff a for a while, it just doesn't pay to pull an all night'r and then do a back up... especially when you're used to putting things in the trash, ignoring the warning and immediately emptying the trash.

I've been careful about this kind of thing for nearly 2 decades now, but I just wiped my first hard drive by accident... nothing like the sound of crumpling paper just as you realize the 200+ GB's you just trashed was a $10k check.

Luckily for me, I made a backup the night before and only had to recapture/recreate 28 items... WHEW!!!

Thanks again for the responses, even confused, I still appreciate the great help these forums have always provided (even to mostly lurkers, like myself!)

M.Brane
03-31-2007, 08:53 PM
I've been careful about this kind of thing for nearly 2 decades now, but I just wiped my first hard drive by accident... nothing like the sound of crumpling paper just as you realize the 200+ GB's you just trashed was a $10k check.

Ouch.

I hate that sinking feeling you get when something like that happens.

Backups rule.

ricks
03-31-2007, 10:49 PM
The 2 port Seritek doesn't care about SSC, doesn't even see it. Only the Intel chips on the 4 port Seritek do. Don't worry about using newer Hitachi drives with that Seritek/1S2.

When you move to a MacPro you will also move to much newer PCIe host cards. They are more capable and able to handle features like SSC. I don't think you will have any problems then.

Rick

donnie7
04-01-2007, 12:49 AM
TZ and Forum Members,

What are really the Best 500 gig and 750 gig SATA HD's for use with MacPro's? Could you specify use without a card internally and with a SATA accelerator card. Using HD's for Photoshop, Video and Audio production. Seems like a lot of shakeout [lack of compatibility] on current SATA HD with MacPro's. Our needs are intended for Heavy Duty production use. Thank you all! Donnie Dixon

TZ
04-01-2007, 01:06 PM
TZ and Forum Members,

What are really the Best 500 gig and 750 gig SATA HD's for use with MacPro's? Could you specify use without a card internally and with a SATA accelerator card. Using HD's for Photoshop, Video and Audio production. Seems like a lot of shakeout [lack of compatibility] on current SATA HD with MacPro's. Our needs are intended for Heavy Duty production use. Thank you all! Donnie Dixon

First, I would start a new thread to address the Mac Pro.
Second, check out some reviews and search Apple Mac Pro Discussions.

For RAID, non-RAID?
how many drives? you can go up to 6 or even 8 internal drives with bracket kits. You can go up to six w/o resorting to PCIe.

Most any drive will work fine with a few exceptions.

WD drives are fine, but "SE" should not be used in RAID.
Only one vendor makes 750GB. There are 1TB drives headed to market this year.
Maxtor is down to just the MaxLine Pro.

ricks
04-01-2007, 09:50 PM
Donnie,

Hitachi and Raptor drives are killer in the MacPro. If you need pure speed, the Raptors are great, scratch, OS and Apps are good examples of where you can benefit from the 10K drives.. For most any general purpose the Hitachi works perfectly.

Rick

RGFrog
04-02-2007, 09:18 PM
Thanks, Rick.

I was hoping the Hitachi's would still work out. The hotswap burly I have attached to the machine will be joined by a at least a 5 bay PM on the mac pro when that gets purchased (I convinced the powers that be to wait until the Qaud cores are announced). So, until then, we're only working on DV and being able to have a reliable drive in large sizes for regular day to day, and smaller drives for project backup is a boon.

Also, backups to a SATA drive is far easier than backups to a firewire drive :)

As an aside, the Burly 2 Bay Hotswap is so nice. The only drawback being that I couldn't convince the accounting dept. to authorize the 4 bay version.

RGFrog
04-27-2007, 11:17 AM
Just as a heads up... got a really sweet deal on retail 7200.9 500gb kits so, I picked up a few. Work fine in both the G5 and the Burly enclosure... Sadly, they are no where near as silent as the Hitachi drives. So, it looks like I'll just be buying Hitachi from now on.

Thanks for all the input.

Ron