PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading G4 Dual 800 for Final Cut 4.5

happydog
03-28-2007, 06:12 PM
I have a Dual 800 I believe Quicksilver...with 1G of ram and empty slot...I know I can add one more...but am wondering if anybody out there can recommend a solution for upgrading this type of G4 for better performance with Final Cut Studio 4.5. Right now it is extremely slow and I am having problems. Is getting a Processor boost, Some ram and video upgrade worth it? And if so what is the best solution for best performance? Thanks in advance!! Courtney::)

M.Brane
03-28-2007, 07:08 PM
I'm not a video guru myself, but for what you'd end up spending on the QS to make it a good video box you could probably pick up a nice used G5.

There are certain models of G5 to avoid though. Others will be along that can give you the specifics.

What's your budget like? It's easier to make suggestions if we have at least a ballpark figure to work with.

happydog
03-28-2007, 08:19 PM
I am willing to spend between $500-$600 if I would be able to use Motion with a processor upgrade....but not really sure how it all pieces together and works....or if it does at all....

unclemac
03-29-2007, 12:20 AM
Howdy.....

Tuff choices. If you were planning to upgrade FC, I would say sell your G4 and grab a new imac. You need to be running a universal version of FC to think about that though....not sure what the status of 4.5 is. PPC native only?

It's my understanding that with FC, assuming you make the minimum spec for both video and RAM, all that really effects render time is CPU. Last I heard you can't render faster than real time, so anything about as fast as a dual 2.0 Ghz G5 will get you there. Don't know about Motion and/or Shake......more is better I would bet.

The fastest G4 upgrades out there would blow your budget, but still not get you up to G5 performance, plus you likely need a video card update too, which would add at least another $150, plus there are very few choices unless you want to get into flashed (modified) PC video cards, which is a whole other problem you don't want to have to fight. Could end up spending $800 or more, performing surgery, with a bit of risk, and not have that much performance to show for it.

So if you can sell your G4 for a few hundred, plus your upgrade budget, you would have about $1000 to put towards a new(er) Mac. Can you stretch a little farther? How about this:

<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td style="padding: 8px 4px 8px 8px;" align="left" valign="top"> iMac 17-inch, Intel Core 2 Duo
Part Number: Z0DJ
Keyboard & Mighty Mouse + Mac OS X - U.S.
SuperDrive 8X (DVD+R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
2GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM - 2x1GB
160GB Serial ATA drive
2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

<input value="" id="giftMsgBoxDiv0-prev" type="hidden"><script language="JavaScript"><!-- hookUpSmartTextFieldHandlers('giftMsgBoxId0', 'giftMsgBoxDiv0Err', 'http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/6734004/wa/AJAXAction/checkGiftMessage', 'M55LHsZx54cj2nnGhRB1ExDQbrS', 'Z0DJ'</script>
</td> <td style="padding: 8px 4px;" align="right" valign="top">
</td> <td style="padding: 8px 4px;" align="right" valign="top">
</td> <td style="padding: 8px 8px 8px 4px; font-weight: bold;" align="right" valign="top">$1,374.00</td></tr></tbody></table>Right now at the Apple store.......

TZ
03-29-2007, 06:38 AM
Apple Store Specials have G5 2.0 (dual core) for $1595. $1895 will get you into a Mac Pro 2GHz (four cores).

despaxas
03-29-2007, 09:31 AM
What type of video are you working with? If you are working with HD video or uncompressed SD video and are having speed issues, then yes, you will probably be better served getting a G5 (if whatever hardware you use will work in a G5). If you are using DV or MJPEG-A video, your setup is fine, though a fast hard drive will speed up rendering time (you should have a dedicated video hard drive that is not a slave device minimum). The type of video you are working with is very important in determining your needs. What part of your workflow seems slow?

happydog
03-29-2007, 11:40 AM
I am working mainly with SD video right now....and posting to web. Other SD video as well for documentary and commercial work. I am looking to invest a nice chunk into a PC, so was just trying to keep my Mac alive if worthwhile. Problem is I can't upgrade to even Quicktime Pro with current specs.