PDA

View Full Version : Hard Drive suggestions?

donnchadh
03-11-2007, 07:53 PM
This is my very first post here, so I hope it's in the right thread ;-)

I have a Power Mac G4 dual 1.42 Ghz MDD (firewire 800) which is my very first Apple machine. I have been trying to upgrade it, going from the optical drives (now two Pioneer 111d's firmware 1.29) to sound card (now M-Audio Revolution 7.1). Ram is max'ed at 2 gigs. OS is 10.4.8. Everything is running fine.

The two hard drives which came with the machine are physically located in the front, under the optical drives.
One is a 280 GB "ST3300831A" whatever that is, and the second is a 120 GB Maxtor GY120L0. The first drive is on the desktop as "Macintosh HD" and the second simply as "HD2". Presently I am not using the second drive for storage.

Questions: I don't need that much drive capacity and would like to have only one. That way I figure I could reduce power consumption and waste heat. What physical location for the drive is better? front or rear? why?

If I were to buy a new drive, what would be the fastest drive currently available that I could install in this machine? Just need one, about 120 GB or so capacity. More concerned with reliability and speed then size. Brand recommendations?

All help is appreciated.

mwhals
03-12-2007, 07:13 AM
The ST drive is an IDE Seagate drive. Since you only have IDE connections, then any of the current 7200 RPM Seagate or Western Digital drives will be fine. Hard drives haven't improved on speed as much as optical drives and other components. They are a little faster, but not much. The fastest desktop drives are the Western Digital Raptor drives, which are SATA. You might consider the Raptor 150 with a SATA to IDE adapter if you want more speed. The Raptors spin at 10,000 rpm while the other desktop drives spin at 7200 rpm. You could also add a SATA expansion card, but it would have to allow you to boot off of it. A Macintosh guru can answer the specifics on your machine (I use a PC). My knowledge is in the hard drives, not MAC computers.

You will pay around $220 for a 150 GB Raptor drive, while a 120 GB 7200 RPM drive will be under $100.

TZ
03-12-2007, 07:27 AM
It is always good to have a couple backups.

You could move one drive to FW case - or just leave it.

The Maxtor DM10 300GB w/ 16MB cache was a popular ATA drive. You pick up MaxLine Pro 500GB. More a matter of what you use your system for than capacity. And spreading file load over multiple drives helps. The MDD supports four drives.

The drive cage in front of the cpus is 4% faster and is the default location for boot drive.

Radeon 9800 is about the last upgrade option. Adds heat.

I would run Temperature Monitor and watch temps but I wouldn't be overly concerned with a stock system - if you can take the wind-tunnel noise that is ;)

donnchadh
03-12-2007, 03:18 PM
snip

The drive cage in front of the cpus is 4% faster and is the default location for boot drive.

Radeon 9800 is about the last upgrade option. Adds heat.

I would run Temperature Monitor and watch temps but I wouldn't be overly concerned with a stock system - if you can take the wind-tunnel noise that is ;)

Heat is the reason why I was considering removing one of the drives, and to reduce power draw.

The Radeon 9800 XT has a very good fan which exhausts the hot air to the back of the card, and not sideways like most of their other cards. The previous ATI cards blowed hot air right on the ram and CPU's. Also, the fan on the other cards was an el cheapo which rattled. I tried to put a Zalman fan on the card, and it fit perfectly, but when I tried to put it in the graphic slot, it touched one of the ram strips.

Since I coming from a Dell PC, I'm used to noise ;-)

Would a slot cooler help?

Donnchadh

TZ
03-12-2007, 03:24 PM
There is a full set of links to MDD Reference for cooling and modifying a case, and most people do something to pull hot air out, and/or cool air in. Look in the FAQ & Help for "MDD."

Sounds like a flashed 9800 XT?

I would not worry about 20 watts saved pulling one drive. You should have 360 or 400W.

ricks
03-12-2007, 03:25 PM
I believe you should be well within reasonable for power use and heat in that MDD Mac. Personally I would probably keep running the 300 GB Seagate Barracuda, it is a fine drive and a rather low power use model. I would also use the 120 GB as a backup but move it to the lower drive bay as a Master on its own bus. A little more performance and spreading the drives apart will keep them from keeping each other warm by being stacked on top of each other.

You should be no where near the temperature and power limits at all yet. That case was designed for this. You may want to make sure you have any firmware updates run and if you have a cooling issue maybe change to one of the better fan upgrade kits that have been on the market. Others know more than I about those upgrade fan kits, so I'll defer to their experienced reflections.

Rick

donnchadh
03-12-2007, 05:52 PM
There is a full set of links to MDD Reference for cooling and modifying a case, and most people do something to pull hot air out, and/or cool air in. Look in the FAQ & Help for "MDD."

Sounds like a flashed 9800 XT?

I would not worry about 20 watts saved pulling one drive. You should have 360 or 400W.

Yes, the card was flashed with the latest firmware from ATI and is working great with the 23 inch HD cinema display. I do have to use the ADC to DVI Apple adapter to supply power and data because the card doesn't have a ADC port. (has DVI VGA and S video ports)

Actually, I think this is a better arrangement rather then drawing more juice directly from the MDD.

The power supply is 360 watts.

Donnchadh