PDA

View Full Version : Panther Server- Workgroup Manager remote login not working

ghobish
03-09-2007, 12:52 PM
After working on my G5 Panther Server 10.3.9 machine (unrelated to this problem- I was replacing a bad hard drive, not the boot drive), remote management of the server using the Workgroup Manager module is failing, giving me the message that "the host is unreachable." I can connect remotely using the Server Admin module, also AFP, FTP and HTTP, and I can login using Apple Remote Desktop.

Workgroup manager ports 331 and 660 are open.

Also, I cannot "ping" the server, even though I can do these other types of logins. I am not the most experienced server admin, but I set up this system and nothing has changed that I can detect.

Where should I begin?

Thanks,

Gary

unclemac
03-09-2007, 08:13 PM
Hi Gary,

Can you open WGM locally on the server itself OK?

Anything else change? IP settings, network tweaks, anything fire wall related?

ghobish
03-10-2007, 12:02 PM
Hi Gary,

Can you open WGM locally on the server itself OK?

Yes. (Thus I can do my admin remotely using Apple Remote Desktop.)

Anything else change? IP settings, network tweaks, anything fire wall related?

Nope. Static IP, NAT did not change, no firewall other than what's in the router.

unclemac
03-11-2007, 12:10 AM
Hmmmm.......I assume you can ping other machines on the same network/subnet? Any reason to think that ping is some how blocked for the sever or that segment of the network?

If you are sure that ping is not blocked, that is an odd one. Any chance there is any wackiness with a router or switch somewhere?

As for WGM, you might verify you have the lates version for 10.3. When you try to connect, do you use the static IP, or a DNS name?

Not seen this without it being a port/network issue.......wondering where else we can look. Wonder if the Console logs would give any other detail. Might be worth looking.