PDA

View Full Version : Changing default OS X from iPhoto to Lightroom

levelbest
02-28-2007, 05:26 PM
Hi Gurus, Been a while. I was googling for a simple answer and came up empty. Then I figured asking here would be a better bet anyway. I remember somewhere someone telling me how to change the OSX setting to tell OSX to STOP opening iPhoto whenever I connect a camera to my Mac.

I now am using Lightroom (in demo for the short term but I am liking it a lot). I set Lightroom to open when a drive is plugged in (like my camera). But, it is not automatically doing anything. IPhoto continues to load whenever I plug in my camera.

I am pretty sure there is a preference I can hand adjust or trash or ... Something? Can anyone please tell me what that is and where that is? It is time Apple put video and picture preferences in the OS X prefs, IMHO.

Thanks folks. Lb

Macaholic
02-28-2007, 08:22 PM
Hi Lb,
When you choose "Get Info" on your pictures,
Is the Default set to open with Iphoto or Lightroom?

Dave

levelbest
02-28-2007, 08:35 PM
Well, the get info on my pictures shows Preview as the default opener. This isn't consistent with my problem though, as far as I can tell. I mean, I have been editing with GraphicConverter by dragging a picture over the GC icon on the dock. Lately after upgrading to the full version of GC, I can see all my folders arranged in GC and open them that way. But, they still default open as Preview.

I know I can change that feature and if you think it would help, I will. But iPhoto is still starting up when I plug in my camera. I should mention that I still run iPhoto 5, version before this current version of iPhoto.

I am pretty sure I have seen someone, somewhere say something ... About how to tell the Mac OS what to use as the default opener of pictures. Not from the file but from a setting somewhere in the system? Maybe someone has a utility out that does this but as I recall it wasn't that hard to do, once you knew "what" to do.

Still, I am open to any and all suggestions here.

Thanks. Lb

Macaholic
02-28-2007, 08:53 PM
I have Graphic Converter set as the Default App for opening pics.
Wouldn't hurt to try as you could switch it back again...
I can't test this as I don't have Iphoto installed.

Dave

levelbest
02-28-2007, 09:32 PM
Yes, I have now tested it just to be sure. That isn't what is causing iPhoto to auto open. It is still doing that. Of course all I have to do is quit iPhoto but I want to switch over totally to Lightroom and I don't what iPhoto creaping back into the picture once I complete the switch. COuld always just delete iPHoto but again, the point here is there is a way to change this default behavior. I just cant remember what that is....

Lb

Macaholic
02-28-2007, 09:57 PM
Well, I'm out of ideas unless there is something in iPhoto's preferences.
I don't have it installed to test...
I hope somebody else jumps in.
Good Luck,

Dave

levelbest
02-28-2007, 10:07 PM
Yes, thanks. Nothing in iPhoto preferences. There should be someone, let us hope, on these pages with some photographic expertise and with a Mac background.

Thanks for giving it a shot though.

Lb

PS: Here is a thread link I just found.
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.sys.mac.misc/browse_thread/thread/fd5eb4f4c8a74d8e/a32dca1f7408b5be?hl=de

And here is what they are recommending, Image Capture.
http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/imagecapture

THis is what I was trying to remember. ALthough for some reason it is not letting me open the preferences? So I still cant change this iPhoto default. Arrrghh! I will do a system rebuild with Applejack just in case anything is weird in my house.

Getting closer ... But, not quite. Lb

unclemac
02-28-2007, 10:56 PM
Hey LB,

The pref that tells iphoto to open when a camera is connected lives in: ~/Library/Preferences/ByHost.

ByHost prefs are linked to the computer by Mac addresses. You will notice that all the BH prefs are multiples (identical save for the actual number) for each MAC address on your machine; one for the ethernet port, one for the airport card, etc.

Assuming you have two, the pair you want to pull is:

com.apple.ImageCapture2.[MAC #1].plist
com.apple.ImageCapture2.[MAC #2].plist

Place them in trash and fire up iphoto. It will prompt you if you want to use iphoto. Click no, and it will generate two new prefs as above (to remember not to activate iphoto) now.

If you have multiple user accounts, you would have to do this for each account.....in each user Library.

levelbest
03-01-2007, 12:27 AM
Thanks, that killed the auto open feature in iPhoto. I appreciate that.

Now the question, why is Image Capture not responding when I select Preferences in its menu?

Yes, I have a camera hooked to it (or it wouldn't work at all). I would like for Lightroom to automatically open for when my camera is hooked up to my laptop. Curious about it. At least I have Butler set with a hot key to launch Lightroom easily enough. Still one wants to restore native Mac behavior when it makes more sense. Plugging in a camera and launching my image editor of choice, makes sense to me.

Thanks. Lb

unclemac
03-01-2007, 08:14 AM
Hmmmmm.......no idea about that. I wonder if is Applescriptable? How about Automator?

Kinda felt bad for those guys on the google link I have know idea what they were digging into.....pretty sure they don't either. Always good to know what you don't know. :)

levelbest
03-01-2007, 09:57 AM
It may be apple scriptable, but I am not. ;-) I mean, preferences should open, right? If it is there in a menu bar... I am learning, very slowly and mostly still from others examples, how to script here and there in AS. But it is still not a very intuitive language for me.

I really still think that this is a built in feature and I am missing how to implement it. Not finding a Google answer that satisfies yet.

Oh well, and thanks. I will be extending this thread (not really the same thread though) over in some where that it works to ask of others experiences with upgrading or buying new. Getting tis little 12" PowerBook ready to do my photography, still traveling most of the time. WOUld prefer a larger screen (probably) but not really sure any macpro portable wold do that to my satisfaction anyway.

Or perhaps get a refurbed dual core 20 or 24 " iMac? Anyway, any ideas I will gladly hear and engage in. But, I also think it would be a better service to otters not already attracted to this thread to see a new thread with the correct subject?

THanks. Lb

Boots
03-01-2007, 04:12 PM
LB, I think to change the Image Capture pref to not open iPhoto- don't have the camera connected at all, then change pref, then you should be alll set. You don't have to have a device connected in order to set IC prefs.

Nicolas
03-01-2007, 04:21 PM
You can set the the Apps which should open up if a camera is connecting within the Digital Images Apps. Open it goto its preferences then you'll see:

Camera:
Which App to be opened when a camera is connected

Regards

Nicolas

levelbest
03-01-2007, 04:22 PM
You would think so but alas, no. I just tried it again with your post, no. I have the latest tiger 10.4.8. Image Capture Version 3.0.3 (333).

It just isn't opening preferences when I ask it too.

???

levelbest
03-01-2007, 04:29 PM
You can set the the Apps which should open up if a camera is connecting within the Digital Images Apps.
I don't see that application anywhere with SPotlight. Can you please day more? UNless you meant in general, with digital image applications like Lightroom? LIghtroom is set in its prefs to "when a memory card is detected" OPEN.

It isn't doing it and perhaps it is because my version of LR is still unregistered? Seems an odd feature to kill though. Nromally aplications love taking over with their footprint, demo or not. Also likely, is that there is a way with Image Capture to manage this process that I am not yet doing correctly.

Nicolas
03-02-2007, 11:31 AM
No, I ment Image Capture sorry :o

Regards

Nicolas

levelbest
03-02-2007, 11:42 AM
Just to be 100% clear about all of this then.

Image capture, on my machine, will not respond when I click the preferences wording on it's "Image Capture" menu.

This is true with no devices plugged into my Mac.

This is true when devices, like my camera, actually are plugged into my Mac.

I did clear out the prefs file as mentioned earlier so now iPhoto is not opening when I plug in a camera.

Perhaps I will try using AppleJack in AUTO (full clean mode)? Perhaps the next time I launch it I will be asked and then I will tell it, "use Lightroom."

Other than that, I am at a loss. Best guess is that Lightroom is still in demo and starts with a trial use "want to buy now?" screen and perhaps that is tripping it up from starting?

Although that has nothing to do with not being to open the preferences in Image capture - both with and without a device plugged in.