PDA

View Full Version : Storage Soloution - Advice

lilrichie
02-13-2007, 11:46 AM
Hello,

Recently i have become involved in band night recording footage and managing a web-site over the last two events it has nearly consumed a good 60% of my hard disk already in my G5 and i am looking for a Server Soloution to store all this footage.

Per hour we record some where in the region of 16GB of footage so per evening it can weigh in at some 60+GB for the 4 hours that we are their.

What i have at the moment is a Intel Imac which i use in the field to capture the footage directly to the Hard Disk which is an external Firewire Drive when i get back to the studio i want to be able to transfer the data off that fire wire drive to this storage solution so it is accessible by my G5 for editing, backup is also a major factor so i really need something ot back all this up to on a daily basis.

Many Thanks
Rich

Damien
02-13-2007, 12:33 PM
Got a budget?

an SATA card and a burly box might be the way to go

lilrichie
02-13-2007, 12:45 PM
Burley box? What is one of these, is it an old mac.

I don't want to spend a small fortune but i am happy to pay for something that will be reliable.

ricks
02-13-2007, 12:49 PM
I think the Burly Port Multiplier (http://www.macgurus.com/productpages/sata/BurlyPortMultiEncl.php) enclosure and a CalDigit card are the ONLY solution! That product is solid enough to outlive the heat death of the universe. Expandable, (easily- up to 20 hard drives online) fast and as inexpensive as is possible to get. Exudes solidity while being the value of the century. (sorry, I really do get down on this stuff)

Burly PM enclosures are hotswap capable. So you can get inexpensive trays, $20 each, and pull drives out to archive projects. Use the same enclosure for multiple projects by putting a new set of labeled drives in.

Run a simple application like SyncronizeProX (www.qdea.com) to make your backups. That means for every data drive you purchase you also get a backup drive. No fail, you must have a backup. Redundant copies are the only protection you have.

Happy to help you choose the exact right configuration. Need to know which G5 to choose the right host card. This is THE KILLER setup today.

Rick

lilrichie
02-13-2007, 01:04 PM
I think the Burly Port Multiplier (http://www.macgurus.com/productpages/sata/BurlyPortMultiEncl.php) enclosure and a CalDigit card are the ONLY solution! That product is solid enough to outlive the heat death of the universe. Expandable, (easily- up to 20 hard drives online) fast and as inexpensive as is possible to get. Exudes solidity while being the value of the century. (sorry, I really do get down on this stuff)

That looks really good, would i be right in thinking i would take this unit with me on location and then bring it back to the studio and connect it to my G5?

Burly PM enclosures are hotswap capable. So you can get inexpensive trays, $20 each, and pull drives out to archive projects. Use the same enclosure for multiple projects by putting a new set of labeled drives in.

Yeah that is a good method of archive.

Run a simple application like SyncronizeProX (www.qdea.com) to make your backups. That means for every data drive you purchase you also get a backup drive. No fail, you must have a backup. Redundant copies are the only protection you have.

So in a 4 Bay unit 2 Drives would be usable while the other two would be used as primary backups.

Happy to help you choose the exact right configuration. Need to know which G5 to choose the right host card. This is THE KILLER setup today.

I have a 1.8Ghz G5 Powermac.

Many Thanks
Richard

Damien
02-13-2007, 01:32 PM
The Burly is an external SATA enclosure. What Mac are you using on the road and can it have an external ATA card put in it? If so then yes but you will find the burly a bit heavy. Maybe a nice looking handle on the top would do the trick... :D

lilrichie
02-13-2007, 01:50 PM
At the gigs we have a 17" Imac.

Rich

ricks
02-13-2007, 02:14 PM
About the only thing you can or should use on the iMac is a Firewire drive since that is the best external bus on that computer.

What I thought we were defining was the perfect solution for your G5 'storage server'. I would not take that storage into the field. It is designed to run safe, fast and efficient. 'Mobile' wasn't in that definition.

What many of our field customers are doing (photographers, videographers and audiophiles), is using the PM Burly on their workstation/server and taking a BurlyFW SATA Enclosure (http://www.macgurus.com/productpages/firewire/Burly1FirewireHS.php) with them in the field. That enclosure will trade trays with all the other Burlys. So you get back from a gig you just swap the drive into the server instead of copying it there.

As long as the Firewire drive you take with you is quality, you are doing fine. Problem with a lot of firewire stuff today is it is made by the lowest bidder. They are cheap junk with insufficient cooling and insufficient power to be reliable and they fail often. The bigger the manufacturer, it seems, the worse junk they push on unsuspecting buyers. And the bigger the manufacturer's name, the less support they give, the more rules they have limiting THEIR liabilities when your drive fails, and the more safeguards they have in place to guarantee their profits. They miss the point entirely that the data integrity is the first priority.

Make sure your field drives are the best you can get. That is where the risk of loss is the most critical. When the data itself is unique. Once backed up on a quality redundant storage system you can breathe easier.

Rick

unclemac
02-13-2007, 05:20 PM
I really like the notion of taking the tray w/drive from one enclosure and installing in another. Fast and flexible.

So you keep the SATA multi bay unit connected to the G5, and you always take the FW unit on the road. All you move between the two are the trays w/drives. No cables, no power supplies....easy. And you don't have to upload -> download data. The continuous shuffle gets to be a real drag, plus room for human error too.

Add a robust automated backup, and you are looking good. If you are serious about backups, you need a second set that goes off site (or at least in a fire proof safe from the G5. What would happen if there was a fire/theft/flood...or someone flew a plane into the building? Backups (http://taobackup.com/index.html) are not a thing to do, they are a state of mind. :)

lilrichie
02-18-2007, 12:54 PM
Sorry for the late reply.

I have been looking at that multibay burley unit how exactly does this connect to the G5? Do i need to get a card for it? If so what card do i need.

The LED version isnt really needed is it and i suppose i can buy my own drives and put them in it can i?

Many Thanks
Rich