PDA

View Full Version : Quark: old files, new program

billybobski
02-02-2007, 01:30 AM
Hello.

I'm making the leap from an old G3 to iMac.

I have loads of stuff saved on Quark 3.3.2 which I'm going to need to open on the new machine.

I know I have to buy a new Quark to run on the intel-based iMac, but will the new Quark program open my old 3.3.2 files? If not, has anyone got any ideas how I can retain access to all these hundreds of documents without keeping the old G3 in the garden shed?

Thanks.

Allen, London.

Greentree_uk
02-02-2007, 01:35 AM
sure it can. I've found opening older versions of files quark can adjust alignment of text a little.

billybobski
02-02-2007, 06:44 AM
Thanks Greentree.

Is there anything I should know/avoid in buying a Quark to go with my iMac G3?

I no longer use Quark professionally, just for personal correspondence and the like, but I'd rather stick with the program that I know backwards than switch to, say, Word or the like.

Allen, London.

Greentree_uk
02-02-2007, 07:55 AM
Allen,

I'm not sure what you are trying to achieve, but you use quark for normal correspondence, instead of word?

almaink
02-02-2007, 08:23 AM
Thanks Greentree.

Is there anything I should know/avoid in buying a Quark to go with my iMac G3?

I no longer use Quark professionally, just for personal correspondence and the like, but I'd rather stick with the program that I know backwards than switch to, say, Word or the like.

Allen, London.

So you are going to spend at least $200 to upgrade just for correspondence?
I would go here http://tinyurl.com/p6ptk and look into running version 3.32 in Sheepsaver for the legacy stuff and do the new right in Apple Mail or Text Edit.

TZ
02-02-2007, 08:49 AM
I know people that like to do fancy layouts for personal and small business correspondence where PageMaker 2 use to be my choice (and do the write-up in Word 3.03).

However, Apple Pages is really nice and even fun now.

billybobski
02-05-2007, 05:27 AM
Thanks gang for all those thoughts.

Right. The Quark 3.3.2 that I use is about 11 years old, or more, and was registered to the company that I owned in those days, now long gone. Thus, upgrading is not an option, and the cost of a QuarkXpress full program in this country is about $1400, so any, repeat ANY way round this problem has got to be worth investigating.

No, come to think of it I don't really need QX for personal correspondence etc. I could do most of it on Stickies, if I had to.

As far as opening all those archived QX docs is concerned, that tinyurl link looks interesting Almaink, if complicated, and I have saved the reference.

But coming at the problem laterally, maybe I DON"T need QX for my purposes, and maybe a solution is to open all my files, one by tedious one, and upload any that I really want to access to a personal blog site, from which I could pull them back in the future. Slow, but only a day or two to do the lot.

Alternative suggestions welcomed.

Allen, London.

rwm
02-05-2007, 11:15 AM
How about AppleWorks? For down the road. ;)

yeungfeng
02-06-2007, 01:29 AM
He's got a point about AppleWorks. Same program disk for OS 9 and OSX. You could load it on G3, don't know about the transfer from Quark, save files and move them to iMac & OSX.

billybobski
02-06-2007, 04:26 AM
Yeungfeng, rwm....

that starts to sound interesting.

Q: can I load Appleworks onto a G3 running 8.6 (i.e. not 9)?

Q: does anyone know if I can export/import between Quark 3.3.2 and the version of Appleworks I would be running on the G3?

Allied problem: I tried setting up a Google blog to try the idea of using a blog site as a temporary storage unit, but didn't get too far. My IE5 doesn't work well, i.e. takes pasted copy but then fails to publish; my Netscape 7.01 doesn't even take the pasted copy! So, another specific query:

Q: does anyone know a free blog site that works well with Classic Macs running either old IE or old Netscape?

Further allied problem: I then thought I might make use of the 'free 55mb personal webspace' that my cable/broadband provider supplies with its deal. Problem there is that you have to use FTP to put your storage data on your personal webspace, which would mean transferring the same darned Quark files that I'm trying to get rid of.

Not an allied problem, just looking for sympathy: I went blind in one eye last Friday, although the docs say it is probably (probably?) only temporary. Gord.

Thanks for your continuing interest and help. Yes, I know I should have updated years ago.

Allen, London.

rwm
02-06-2007, 12:03 PM
Why not get a free Yahoo account with a 1 GB of text storage that is a lot of "text". It can spell check, use different fonts, sizes etc. :D

I don't see a problem using it with 8.6. I have used it since ClarisWorks.
Not sure about importing Quark into AppleWorks.

rwm
02-06-2007, 12:18 PM
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Quark+export+to+AppleWorks&btnG=Google+Search
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=AppleWorks+import+Quark&btnG=Google+Search
Free Macintosh text writers - http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=free+macintosh+text+writers&btnG=Search

Nicolas
02-06-2007, 01:02 PM
Q: can I load Appleworks onto a G3 running 8.6 (i.e. not 9)?
Yes, I think you can. But it depends on the Version of Appleworks :)

Q: does anyone know if I can export/import between Quark 3.3.2 and the version of Appleworks I would be running on the G3?
No thats impossible Quark is and was only compatible with its own.
There are Converter available for InDesign and PageMaker but thats all.

Some things about QXP 3.32 and System 8.6:
1. I you want to run QXP 3.32 on 8.6 you'll need Kaleidoscope to fix the menus cuz you can't select printing resolution if Kaleidoscope isn't installed.

2. You'll need the "Edit Traps Fix" Systemextension cuz if you open the Trap Pallete Quark quits with Error 2 ;) if it is not intalled

Btw there are some free for privat use or more favorable Options:

1. An older Version of Ragtime

2. Vivapress free edition (or privat edition which is 99Eur)

BTW there is a new version of VivaPress for OSX available called VivaDesigner, yes its also an UB for PPC and Intel-Macs!
AND it is available for Mac, Windows AND Linux!

You'll need to dowload a Free Registration Key every 6 month but thats OK I think the Privat Version is running 99Eur too.

Regards

Nicolas

almaink
02-06-2007, 02:26 PM
"1. I you want to run QXP 3.32 on 8.6 you'll need Kaleidoscope to fix the menus cuz you can't select printing resolution if Kaleidoscope isn't installed."
What? I never had Kaleidoscope installed and ran 3.32 till 4 came out without any menu errors. Printing resolution is controlled by the printer driver not Quark. That being said, do keep in mind that Quark requires a postscript printer for good output and an inkjet will only print what is, for all pratical purposes, a screen shot. I always exported to PDF from Quark and printed that file from Acrobat.

Nicolas
02-06-2007, 03:57 PM
"1. I you want to run QXP 3.32 on 8.6 you'll need Kaleidoscope to fix the menus cuz you can't select printing resolution if Kaleidoscope isn't installed."
What? I never had Kaleidoscope installed and ran 3.32 till 4 came out without any menu errors. Printing resolution is controlled by the printer driver not Quark. That being said, do keep in mind that Quark requires a postscript printer for good output and an inkjet will only print what is, for all pratical purposes, a screen shot. I always exported to PDF from Quark and printed that file from Acrobat.
Pardon but that was by printing to an imagesetter :)
If your output is an PS-File this is not very important so, you don't have such a problem, cuz Acrobat sez "This RIP is NOT running a PSE". BUT!
It depends on the Printer or the Resolution for sure, for an "normal" Laserprinter you don't need to set the LPI like for an Imagesetter or a Platesetter;)

No, the bug is in the Printing menu from QXP using whatever you want, Laserwritter8 or PSPrinter.
If you want to print to an imagesetter like an Avantra or an Hercules you can't select the resolution, ok, more the LPI setting (Lines Per Inch) ;)

billybobski
02-07-2007, 12:53 AM
Hallo gang.

I think we've probably cracked it, even though I was making it more complicated than necessary.

a. the QX3.3.2/OS8.6 is a red herring. Mine has run for 11 years, too, and since I don't use it professionally, output isn't a concern.

b. come to think of it, I don't need to import/export Quark to or from Appleworks. All I have to do is run both programs simultaneously, copy from Quark, paste into Appleworks, resave, etc. A bit tedious, but it'll save megabucks.

c. looking at Apple's site, yes, Appleworks runs fine on early OS like mine, and is then easily upgradeable to OSX or whatever.

d. rwm. Thanks for those links, which I'll have a look at, and thanks for the Yahoo tip, which I'll also investigate. For future reference, 8.6/Netscape 7.01 DOES function perfectly on 'LiveJournal' blog site, although probably too slowly for my storage notion.

So, there you are. MacGurus proves invaluable, yet again.

Thanks for your help. I owe you!

Allen, London.

billybobski
03-07-2007, 09:05 AM
Thought I'd post and put conclusions on this thread.

Got my iMac, lovely machine.

Got Quark 7.

Got Appleworks 6.

All work beautifully. Quark 7 opens all my old Quark 3 docs, as predicted.

I like the simplicity of Appleworks, which worked fine on the old G3, and works fine on the iMac, and will continue to use it for some uncomplicated text documents, alongside the Quark 7, which might be expensive, but is a great program.

I thought I'd need Suitcase and Adobe Type Manager, etc., as I always had ten years or so back, and was very pleasantly surprised to find Font Book had done all that for me with no intervention on my part.

So, as usual, all free of problems. (Wish life was like that...)

Thanks again.

Allen, London.