PDA

View Full Version : Help needed. Photoshop won't install.

cbphoto2002
01-30-2007, 10:19 AM
I recently had to send my 17" G4 PowerBook in for repair. It came back with a new hard drive and wiring harness. I also had to replace the "non-Apple" RAM (2 GB).

I've spent the better part of a day reinstalling all my necessary software - which is a complete drag and tempts me to drink heavily. I wish there was an easier way.

Among the software installed is Photoshop CS (v8). I've tried installing it about 10 times and I keep getting the same results. Upon booting, it stops initializing and displays:

Could not complete your request because certain required files were not found in the Adobe Photoshop CS Required folder. Please reinstall Photoshop to restore these files.

I've gone to the Adobe Forums and found this, (http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx/.2ccf1da6) but it has not helped.

I've installed InDesign, Acrobat and a myriad of other programs without a hitch. I've repaired permissions a dozen times or so, and ran FSCK.

Does anyone have any ideas on how I can get this program installed?

TIA!

Boots
01-31-2007, 04:03 PM
I've installed InDesign, Acrobat and a myriad of other programs without a hitch

One thing to try if it comes to this: wipe and re-install OSX, then install PS CS first and verify it's functionality before installing any other Adobe programs.

Maybe the cd is dirty?..
Also, I've had problems with installers in the past that turned out to be bad RAM.

As far as I could find in the installer log, there are 2 "Required" folders in the CS install:

"Adobe Photoshop CS:Adobe ImageReady CS.app:Contents:Required:"

and

"Adobe Photoshop CS:Adobe Photoshop CS.app:Contents:Required:"

Control-click on Photoshop CS.app to see what's inside (see Package Contents) and those folders should be there.

Then also, there is "Library:Application Support:Adobe:Fonts:Reqrd:"

Best I can think of for now...

:o

cbphoto2002
02-01-2007, 12:09 PM
One thing to try if it comes to this: wipe and re-install OSX, then install PS CS first and verify it's functionality before installing any other Adobe programs.
I had another day to fuss with this problem, so I took your advice. Instead of an "Archive & Install" (I'd done two of those without success), I wiped the drive and did a fresh install. After the OS was loaded I turned off Software Update and loaded Photoshop, InDesign and Acrobat and verified their functionality. All worked without a hitch. I then updated those programs as needed and verified them again. Everything worked fine.

I then ran System Update and installed the first batch up updates (OS 10.4.8, Java, etc.), repaired permissions and again, everything worked as advertised.

After I installed more programs I ran Software Update again but did not install the latest security patch (2007-01). After repairing permissions and rebooting, everything works perfectly.

I knew it was user error, and I was hoping someone else had walked this trail. Thanks for your help Boots.