PDA

View Full Version : Fileserver

russelljr1
01-07-2007, 07:16 PM
I have an extra G3/400 desktop that I want to convert to a file server, nothing fancy.

What do I need to do or where are the best set of instructions to make that conversion?

unclemac
01-07-2007, 09:53 PM
Hi Russell,

Well, you need your Mac and an OS, a fast network with server and clients on it, and a bit of software to make file sharing easy. You also really need a backup system to protect all the files you want to share. And you may need some more hardware to house the files if you have alot of data.

You have a tower. What OS? Current is preferred but 10.3.9 will work in a pinch.

We kick this around fairly often, and it varies a bit based on the user's needs. For more insight, try doing a search for some of the best software out there for file sharing on Macs: Sharepoints

Here is one thread (http://macgurus.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19767&highlight=sharepoints) to get you started.

russelljr1
01-08-2007, 02:07 PM
I have a G3 400 B&W running 10.3.9 and will network with a G4/533 running the same. I have a Linlsys BEFS41 router and two ethernet capable printers.

I don't have a lot of stuff, running mostly word processing, some education apps, internet, disk burning, pictures.

Greentree_uk
02-11-2007, 02:51 AM
Russell,

from your post you indcate you only have one client, so really all you need is a persanal file share. if you intend on storing all your documents on one machine, you had better ensure you back it up.

in order to setup file sharing apple have made it very easy.

Modified instructions taken from apple help:

You can share the contents of your computer with other computers on your network and the Internet.

Open System Preferences, click Sharing, and turn on Personal File Sharing.

While file sharing is on, someone using another Macintosh on your local network or on the Internet can access your machine (using the Connect To Server command in the Finder's Go menu). AppleTalk must be turned on both on your computer and the other person's computer, or the other person needs to know your computer's IP address.

To turn AppleTalk on, choose Built-in Ethernet from the Show pop-up menu in Network preferences, and click AppleTalk. To find the IP address, click TCP/IP.

They will be prompted with a login. the login is the user name on the server machine. once they have that they can access your entire HD.

Hope this helps.

unclemac
02-11-2007, 11:17 AM
Yup, that will do it. If you need to setup access for different users, then see the thread I linked to.

One nice thing about sharing files is that you keep your data consolidated, so it is easy to get everything backed up. On the other hand, if you lose it, you can lose all your data in a flash, since all your eggs are in one basket. Back up, back up, back up.....