PDA

View Full Version : core duo vs core 2 duo

jm123
01-03-2007, 07:12 AM
hi all,

about to put down the green stuff on a new macbook, but faced with a slight conundrum- intel core duo, or intel core 2 duo...

On the apple refurb section of the site (UK), they currently have a black 2.0 ghz core duo machine coming in at the same price as the brand new 1.83 ghz core 2 duo machine.

The stuff that I do is often processor intensive (rendering from after effects, multiple streams in Final Cut, compressing from dvd studio pro etc), yet I cant find any benchmarks comparing the said machines. here are the specs for the two;

(black refurb model)
2.0GHz Intel Core Duo?512MB memory (2 x 256MB SODIMMs)?80GB Serial ATA hard drive?SuperDrive

(White brandnew model)
1.83GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
512MB (2x256MB SODIMMs)
60GB Serial ATA drive
Combo Drive

Obviously, the superdrive and extra HD will be a bonus- but for the time being, my concern is with the processors of the two- read on barefeats that the core 2 duo is 64 bit, core duo only 32...?

Does anybody have any answers? Would much appreciate it,

J.

TZ
01-03-2007, 07:27 AM
Check out Lloyd's MacBook Pro (http://diglloyd.com/diglloyd/free/MacBookPro/index.html) that should be right down your street.

I'd hold off a week or two before making any decision.

You will need 2GB RAM and Core 2 Duo I doubt is actually 64-bit. And that wouldn't make any difference.

jm123
01-03-2007, 08:06 AM
thanks for the reply tz, but the computer in question is a macbook; Im not able to splash out on the macbook pro- been allocated a certain amount of cash by my employer...

I guess the big question in whether there is any speed comparison between a 2.0 ghz core duo and a 1.83 ghz core 2 duo.

Its quite a specific question, dont think anyone has done any bench tests between the two yet.

unclemac
01-03-2007, 08:17 AM
That's a good question.

Having used both, I was a little disappointed that the C2s don't feel a little snappier based on the wide spread claims of up to 40% faster (at certain tasks). That might be true, but I would take a crazy guess and say something like 10-20% faster for general computer.

If my guess is accurate, then it is a push. I would get the newer C2 machine. 64 bit won't mean anything for most users for at least a couple years from what I read, so I wouldn't worry about it.....but it is nice to be ready if things move faster.

As TZ said, it would be wise to wait til Jan. 8th. ;)

TZ
01-03-2007, 08:33 AM
If someone did some tests, it would probably be reported on www.xlr8yourmac.com - if nothing else than people's experience of swapping out the original cpu for the new.

I didn't see that you said it was MacBook only not "Pro" model. (heck, you'd be surprised at how many MBP owners post in the Apple MacPro forum - it gets crazy!).

And I have no idea how much difference there is. Why not post link to tech specs of it etc?

When I see:

The stuff that I do is often processor intensive (rendering from after effects, multiple streams in Final Cut, compressing from dvd studio pro etc

That says "pro apps" to me.

If it is just a budget, unless you have to be mobile, in which case you also should be looking at ExpressCard and FW800.... but does it have to be laptop? or is that your idea? Those are RAM and cpu hungry programs that also make use of hard drives.

jm123
01-03-2007, 08:52 AM
Tz, in answer to your question, it kinda does have to be a macbook, for its mobility purposes, and the budget wont stretch any further. Looking into getting a different beast bolted to the studio floor in the future.

Unclemac, sounds like ill take your guess on the c2 being a speed increase from the standard core duo. Will have a look at accelerate...

But what is happening on the 8th on January? Have I missed something? Is that when the apple january price crash happens? Or the advent of core 8 Octo? :D

unclemac
01-03-2007, 11:01 AM
MacWorld San Fran.

Everybody is assuming there will be some big stuff announced there because of this over at Apple:

http://images.apple.com/home/2007/images/welcome2007_20070101.jpg

don't know what, but prudent to see if you are on the verge of buying anything.

unclemac
01-03-2007, 11:03 AM
Fogot to mention that a PC publication recently listed MacBooks and MBPs on it top machine lists for 2006, and there were some benchmarks for all models listed.

Forgot who....will post if I remember it.

TZ
01-03-2007, 01:27 PM
I'm thinking the Apple Refurbished Specials page w/ MacBook Pro.

Refurbished MacBook Pro, 15-inch, 1.83GHz Intel Core Duo
15.4-inch widescreen display (1440x900 resolution)
512MB (single SODIMM) 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM
80GB 5400-rpm Serial ATA hard drive
Slot-load SuperDrive (DVDĀ}RW/CD-RW)
ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 with 128MB GDDR3 memory
Built-in iSight Camera
Front Row and Apple Remote

Expansion
One FireWire 400, two USB 2.0 ports, and ExpressCard/34 slot

Original price: $1,999.00
Your price: $1,299.0
Estimated Ship: 3-5 business days Free Shipping

For $100 more:

Refurbished MacBook Pro, 15-inch, 2.0GHz Intel Core Duo

15.4-inch widescreen display (1440x900 resolution)
512MB (single SODIMM) 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM
80GB 5400-rpm Serial ATA hard drive
Slot-load SuperDrive (DVDĀ}RW/CD-RW)
ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 with 128MB GDDR3 memory
Built-in iSight Camera
Front Row and Apple Remote

Original price: $1,999.00
Your price: $1,349.0

Sometimes they even ship with better specs (RAM or hard drive) than what it was originally.

TZ
01-03-2007, 02:07 PM
Apple, HP LED-backlit notebooks coming soon
by Cyril Kowaliski (ckowaliski@techreport.com) - 10:26 am, January 3, 2007 Both Apple and HP will introduce notebooks (http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20070103PD210.html) that use LEDs as display backlights in the second quarter of this year, according to a report by DigiTimes. Current LCD monitors use fluorescent lamps as backlights, but LEDs can offer both higher brightness and much better contrast. A company known as BrightSide already uses LED backlights in so-called high dynamic range displays (http://www.brightsidetech.com/products/dr37p.php), which can modulate the brightness of individual LEDs behind the LCD panel to achieve contrast ratio ratings of 200,000:1 and brightness ratings of 3,000cd/m². According to DigiTimes, notebook manufacturers will require brightness ratings of over 1,680cd/m² for their upcoming notebooks—lower than the BrightSide displays' but still several times that of standard LCD monitors, which are often rated for 200-400cd/m². The site reveals little else about the notebooks, although it does state that HP's LED-backlit offerings will be high-end multimedia models pre-loaded with Windows Vista.

jm123
01-23-2007, 02:06 PM
After the much deliberation over which macbook to get hold of; I ended up biting the bullett, and went for a refurb mbp.

Over in the UK, the prices went wild, the MBP coming in at the same as the mac book!??

Thing is, Im slightly dissapointed. I've not been able to get a 5.1 universal copy of Final cut yet, so all apps are under rosetta- but I didn't expect the performance to be so sluggish. Apps take ages to fire up apps, filters in CS 1 take even longer, and closing apps takes longer than the two combined.

The machine is a rev 2 (I think) 1.83 ghz, only 512 ram at the moment- but my 1ghz pb with 576mb is leaving this one in the dust... Is rosetta really this shady, or have i got a shady mbp?

Also (the complaints continue) im experiencing what seems to a commonly experienced high pitched whine coming from the unit that is driving my neighbours pooch crazy...

Also, finder seems to have gone a bit a.w.o.l., with problems ejecting discs, slow image preview, sluggish window opening, weird cycling between screen and keys dimming back to normal, and back again... AND there is no low battery alert present before the unity goes into sleep.

Slightly dissapointed to say the least. Theres only one explanation I can think of; I installed Final cut 4.5 HD, (thinking for some reason that it was universal binary), but after installation, there was no evident sign of the app existing anywhere, and on restart I was informed that security items were screwy. I chose to fix this, and apparently it did.....

I guess the second explation is that the rigourous testing apple imposes on its refurb units wasn't so rigourous after all.....

Shame, great price for a (potentially) great machine.

unclemac
01-23-2007, 03:26 PM
Sorry to hear jm.

Rossetta is slow, and eats memory, so 512 hurts.

As for the whine, about all you can do is complain to Apple loudly, and they might swap the whole thing for you. Nothing to lose. Any other issues like CDs not ejecting properly is gas on the fire. The worst that can happen is that they are unwillng to swap. Well.....you could send it in, be without it for a week or two, and get the same one back.

I would go for it.

Could be a case of good money after bad, but Apple has a reputation of giving better service to folks with AppleCare. Not sure this is true or not, but it has been claimed before that Apple "makes it right" for AppleCare holders more than for regular warrranty work.

unclemac
01-23-2007, 03:28 PM
Forgot to mention that 10.4.9 is around the corner which *might* help with Rosetta performance and bugs, and that 10.5 (months away?) may help to. Can onnly wait and see.

The only thing we can do till then is get our hands on every update to UB applications we can....