PDA

View Full Version : Canon A series Powershot video

Hazkell
12-27-2006, 07:56 PM
Been thinking seriously about purchasing a Canon PowerShot A 640 camera.

Wanting it basicly for ten minute videos.

I see that the videos from members on YOUTUBE .com look pretty darnn good ...... for just point and shoot ........... that is.

Thought I could use it too also learn more relistic editing experience AND photograhpy skills AND video recoding AND ......................, the list goes on for ever!
Any body ever mess with canon cameras or gigi cams.

This would be for learning the "BASICS" about recoding video and photography .................. or did I already say that!

Thought the A640 and FC pro 4 could compliment one another.......... or do I have it all wrong!

I would like some input PLEASE!
PRO or CON!

Any takers? .....step right up to the microphone!
Rank and serial numbers aren't necessary!

Thank You, h

TZ
12-28-2006, 10:05 AM
A620 here, great camera, does shorts, my first digital, and I think movies are limited to 1GB or 2. Adequate for my needs.

kaye
12-28-2006, 10:05 AM
I like to go to this review resource to check http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/canon/powershot_a630_a640-review/index.shtml

Also http://www.steves-digicams.com/2006_reviews/a640.html

Looks like a great camera to me except for Canon's long time failure to deal properly with redeye. I have 2 much older Canons, A40 and A75. Picture quality of the A75 is much improved over the A40, still redeye problem with some photos tho. Basically I purchased the A75 because of the date/time stamp on the photo at 1600x1200. Wife wanted that and the A40 did not have that capability.

Keep in mind that you will need to purchase rechargeable batteries and big fast memory cards. For batteries I like
http://www.thomas-distributing.com/index.htm

I also prefer to use a flash card reader instead of connecting the camera to my computer. BTW, there is some nice software on the CD that comes with the camera. k

unclemac
12-29-2006, 09:34 AM
Thanks for the links Kaye. In the market for batteries, and this is just what the doctor ordered.

Hazkell
12-29-2006, 06:54 PM
TZ, your right! The A620 is GREAT! the camera that sparked my interest to buy a Canon.
Random question right here .. tonite!

How is the resolution? I know its 6 Mega.

Is there any funky audio from the camera its-self being recorded while recorded along with the video?I've heard Yes!

Can you record video in macro and have you ever tried doing that?

This would benefit me quite well . A BIG PLUS ACTUALLY!

Yeah, Ive always heard about that Canon never HAS had a good record on the Powershots for red eye removal .....but I think the A640 MIGHT cover that.

Are you able to watch it on your tv?

Heres one . why would someone want to record Raw footage versus a compressed signal .. just to have too compress it for uploading to the web? or no?

Can you record stop motion video . one shot at a time . I know that would be too much to ask for!

Hey kaye! Thanks for the resource pages!

I spent a few hours reading and rereading.
Saved the battery source page also!

Im thinking that the A640 would be very useful to control with the Mac ....... also a big plus.

Elaborate on the software if you want ..Im game.

What Im going to do is .. get all my needs gathered, decide which accessory Ill need for basic nonstop recording ...... outside of replacing batteries .. !

Ill make a list like I did before when I did my GIGA . with the help of you guys of course!
Lets see hmmmmmmm.

One camera, rechargeable batteries and charger ( any brand names stand out? ) at least 1Meg memory card to start, an A/C adapter, a lense cleaning kit,

What am I missing?

For down loading to my Mac whats needed FW or USB?

Disclaimer! I promise to never divulge any information ............ unless asked!
Thank you, h

kaye
12-29-2006, 08:37 PM
Software on the CD, TZ probably has updated software but what I have and like:
1. ArcSoft PhotoStudio - correct image color or brightness, apply special effects, edit and print images. A photo editing program.
2. ArcSoft VideoImpression - compile a movie from multiple movie clips or stills, edit out unwanted frames.

I have used both but more of PhotoStudio. It has a lot of capabilities but the one I use most is to apply special effects such as take the face of a person and apply a different body to it.

Your list, does the A640 come with a camera case? I forget what flash card the A640 uses, secure digital? If so I think you are stuck with USB2. If a regular CF card, FW800 or FW400.

Battery chargers, I have 3 of them, two of them are earlier versions of the MAHA Powerex MH-C204W, my latest and favorite is the MAHA Powerex MH-C801D. However if I had it to do over again, I would get a version like it with Lighted LCD display. Because I normally have two sets of 4 batteries for each camera, I need the chargers. If both cameras go on longer trips, each goes with 3 sets of batteries. I don't like to send the chargers out of the USA to other countries. My wife is at a complete loss with how to deal with that. My son I had to show him how and take extra equipment to deal with it.

Batteries, I go with MAHA Powerex batteries, the latest and greatest is 2700mAH. I have a variety of them because of purchasing thru the years and never had a single problem with any of them. It will take several charges and use with new batteries to get them to full charge. k

TZ
12-30-2006, 04:43 AM
This is the review page for A620 (http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/canon/powershot_a620-review/index.shtml)
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2005_reviews/a620.html

Canon A640 (http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelDetailAct&fcategoryid=145&modelid=14109)
Canon A620 (http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/controller?act=ModelDetailAct&fcategoryid=145&modelid=12072)

I got too frustrated with my MDD 1.25/SP and even though it has been FOUR MONTHS! since getting Mac Pro, I am *still* upgrading and setting it up, and haven't begun to explore more than one movie clip.

With the MDD, connecting the Canon via USB resulted in the system freezing if it went to sleep. Not so with Mac Pro. All of the software is PPC, of course. Which is one more reason for more RAM, and wish they'd begin updating their older product software for UB (they won't, they haven't for Canon LiDE 50 scanner) :(

Canon LA-DC58F Conversion Lens (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000B640KO/)
Canon WCDC58N Wide Angle Converter (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00007JDRW/)
Canon PIXMA iP4200 Photo Printer (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000A2BJC6/)
Sony BCG-34HE4 Super-Quick Worldwide Battery Charger with 4 AA NiMH Batteries (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002IWC9C)
Accessory Kit (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000AHO8Q/)

PS: And by the way, did you know the google trick of using "site:diglloyd.com" to search just diglloyd.com (or whatever site you choose after the "site:" entry). This was new to me within the past few months, though I’m sure many people know of it. For example, to search for anything about the Nikon D200 at diglloyd.com, you would enter: “site:diglloyd.com Nikon D200”. (Click on the link and see for yourself).

Lot of good article over on Lloyd's site. I remember him from back on AutoDoubler and similar products, now has Disktester utility used by AMUG and Barefeats.

TZ
12-30-2006, 11:03 AM
Claims about megapixels
http://diglloyd.com/diglloyd/2006-11-blog.html

David Pogue, in his Nov 21 article The Truth About Digital Cameras, makes the claim that there is no difference between a 13-megapixel, 8-megapixel, and 5-megapixel image when printed at 16 X 24 inches (the 8 and 5MP images were downsized from the 13MP image). He claims:

I’m telling you, there was NO DIFFERENCE.

Thousands of people read his columns, so such broad-brush claims are worrisome without at least some description of the methodology, camera used, etc. Here are just a few of the issues:

Pogue: The truth about digital cameras (http://pogue.blogs.nytimes.com/2006/11/21/21pogues-posts-2/)

Hazkell
01-01-2007, 05:17 PM
TZ! Those are some good reads.
I agree that there is NO difference between all A620- A671s Megapixels ............ as far as my eyes are concerned anyway.

That Pogue review was way too long for my attention span .. but very informative.
I read about a third of it then skipped through the rest.

Luckily, I had spent quite sometime coming to basically the SAME conclusion by comparing many different samples side by side from the A620, A630, A640 and A 671is.
I have figured that the A620 or A630 would be my BEST bet!

As stated before, I'm really interested in checking out the video aspects of these.
Haven't been able to find much information on this other than the simple stuff such as ..... pretty good or I wish it were ..............

I read somewhere that the A620 is also remote controlled by a Mac ......... is that true?
If so, you can do some pretty cool video moves.
What do you think?

This is of MAJOR importance!

Freezes ..... so I suppose one whould never want to let the mac go too sleep or did I miss something?
Are we talking the Mac, camera or both?
So are you saying that aspect is NO good?
More reseach is needed!

I guess you used it over the hollidays?

EVERYBODY! help me find more informative information on the video or just general stuff ................ please!

I found a couple of Macro shots that I'll upload if I can figure out how ....... I was pretty impressed with the quality ........ really great!

I'll be back, h

TZ
01-01-2007, 05:35 PM
My MacPro works with the A620 and with the Crucial SD reader fine. It was only the G4 MDD that would freeze if I

used usb connection to memory card or camera and then put the G4 to sleep - I think I made that clear - would freeze when waking from sleep. Doing the same on Mac Pro, no problems.

My cats don't make the best test subjects for movies, would like to have a "barney cam" though :)

Too much of the Canon software isn't UB/MacTel or even Vista (I have contemplated doing some things under Vista if the software is better). iLife is a full yearly upgrade which gets to be expensive eventually. And with Leopard around the corner....

Hazkell
01-01-2007, 08:18 PM
TZ, I just read this on the Canon web site about their digital cameras.

What do I know ..... maybe this is why it kept freezing on the MDD!
Knowing you from this forum, I bet that you had at least OS 10.4.X.
If so read on or ignore!

Canon FAQ's

Digital Cameras

See the table below for Mac OS X version compatibility.

Canon is conducting compatibility tests for the current versions of Canon digital imaging software with the shipping versions of Mac OS X 10.4 [Tiger]. Results will be posted soon. For now, Canon is not claiming compatibility with Mac OS X 10.4

For further compatibility information please review the following FAQ's:
Mac OS X's Image Capture Application
PTP Mode
Canon Digital Camera Solution Software
For the latest list of Canon Digital Camera products that are compatible with Mac OS X please visit:

http://www.apple.com/macosx/upgrade/devices.html

Use the Software Update command in OS X's System Preferences to check for all Mac OS X updates or visit http://www.apple.com/.

Well, I just checked the Apple site from above and your A620 is listed as being compatable.
So I don't get it.
I hate too think that Canon is already showing OLD information in 2007, but not surprised!

Unless their software has been upgraded in the last couple weeks.

Hazkell
01-01-2007, 10:51 PM
After a few more hours of searching and reading mostly cons ..... the answer seems to be NADA!
Looks like I'm SOL as far as using the MJPEG with FC 4..... chit, chit, chit!
Anybody have any ideas?
Where are ALL these so called video heads that frequent this forum?
Guess my questions aren't worthy!
later, h

yeungfeng
01-02-2007, 02:29 AM
I used a Pentax point and shoot this summer on my trip to Alaska. My Brother had a Olympus. The Pentax had a better pixel rating w/a 3X optical zoom & 5x digital zoom. The Olympus had a 10X optical zoom & 5x digital zoom. Digital zoom did not prove near as good as optical zoom. Maybe with higher mega pixels the digital zoom would be better. But after a point you can only zoom so far, w/o a tripod. You just can't hold it still enough. But a camera with a good lens is most important. Bad lens = poor picture clarity. The Pentax point and shoot didn't take pictures as clear as the Olympus esp. at a distance. If you saw the video of the kid being tasered at UCLA, it was on a cell phone. Mine is 2MP and a cheap lens. The video was not very clear, you could not really see things very clearly in that video. A Canon should have a good lens.
Check the type memory card type and research what is available. The Olympus SP510-UZ I got for Christmas takes the xD type. But what I learned is that there is an M Type and and H Type. H Type is much faster, think 66mhtz as compared to 133mhtz bus. Of course it costs more. If I read it right the A610-20s can record 1min video with a 1GB memory card.

I have had several SLR film cameras and they are easier to choose. Digital cameras have so many "things" to consider. My first consideration was picture quality. Hope this helps some.

Hazkell
01-02-2007, 04:09 PM
Check this macro .....Canon A620!
This is my first .jpeg upload.... hope it works ..... test #1.

Hazkell
01-02-2007, 04:11 PM
Can any one tell me how to make it larger for viewing but still small enough to upload!
Or is this it!
thanks,h

M.Brane
01-02-2007, 04:24 PM
The only way to uplaod pics here at a decent size is to compress the piss out of 'em. Of course then the quality goes to hell. Better to put 'em somewhere else, and image link to 'em if you want big+good.

Hazkell
01-02-2007, 04:56 PM
Thanks Brane ...

I tried to download a couple of Motion jpegs which I can do but when I reboot the mac and try and open the saved Mjpeg, a window opens and says something like "can't find the original information, then asks were to look for it"........ So I'm stumped!
Any ideas or is this a OS 9.x and internet problem such as in "you need OS 10.x" .......... not surprised if so!

M.Brane
01-02-2007, 05:14 PM
Could be a browser issue. Internet stuff was getting flakey in 9 when I last used it for that, and that was almost 2 years ago which is ages in net time.

About the only thing I use 9 for anymore is gaming, finances, and some minor audio stuff.

Hazkell
01-07-2007, 02:38 AM
Seems like the only way Im going to get an answer to the question of ...... will the motion-jpeg (AVI) file load into FCP4 or AE).

I need a file to work with and put an end too this dispute.

I have been chasing my tail around for a couple of weeks on this ..... now I'm too dizzz....zzz.....zy to make a sane jugdement call.
I have also tried downloading a few m-jpeg Canon A 640 and A620 files .... I might add .... with NO luck!
I can download them, but disappeared when rebooted system.

Can I get one of you guys to send me a couple minutes of Canon video files?

They dont need to be of anything really ..just something that I can try and convert or import.

IM WILLING TO PAY FOR THIS SERVICE! . with-in reason . that is!

I see it as simple as sending me an email.
Compression isn't a concern ..... just want too see if I can convert them or open them up in FCP or AE.

Im stuck on which camera to purchase without this information.

The only reason I believe that I would want the A640 over the A620 is because of some degraded resolution from dropped bits during the transfer.

I also can't see spending more silver on features I won't need.

It's a toss-up between these two.
They both have remote control.

But what do I know not much!

Hello .......... is anybody out there!
It'll help you through the show ............... come on it's time to go!
When I was young ...... I had a dream ........ I turned my head ........ the dream was ............? ?......

Thank you, h

Hazkell
01-07-2007, 08:33 AM
Well, so after some more chashing around, I have come too believe tha Quicktime pro 7 is my best chance!

Still will need a Canon AVI file to play with before I make a purchase on a camera.

There are so many diffirent AVI files with different codecs ............ the sample will have to be from a CANON!

Quicktime Pro 7 is in the mail.

Can't do this without you guys!

This will be another helpful tip for many Mackies whom will be asking the very same questions .......... so seeing as I'm the one doing the grunt work ........... "lets roll ........ an dhen some"

h

kaye
01-07-2007, 10:26 AM
I've got your email address and can send a 50MB avi file taken on my wife's A75. Since the A75 does not have auto stabilization, there is a jerkiness in just holding the camera as well as when panning. My son was just learning about taking movies with it and in fact none of us had ever done so. Actually I think he did pretty well considering. It is taken at 320x240 in order to get longer time with the pretty limited movie capability of the A75. k

kaye
01-07-2007, 11:46 AM
DUH! Stupid me. My ISP is rejecting an email file that large. So I put it on my dotMac here:

http://homepage.mac.com/kaye_yum/.Public/MAI_ORA_023.avi

dotMac is pretty busy today so you may want to wait until tonite. k

Hazkell
01-08-2007, 02:20 AM
Thanks kaye! I think the quality is pretty GOOD!

Another snag ... same as before.
I can download and save it as a QT but, when rebooting ...... NADA!
Even if I keep the internet link open with your file open ....... same as above!

One window says " Org.00031a52.IE TEMP" can't
be found .... without this file can't play properly.
I click Ok .... another window opens and says ..." necssary data reference can't be found".

So , back to square one ...... need a file on a disk .... I guess.
Which is more than anyone should have too ask.

Theres got too be a way to send it .... right?
Is it possible to compress the file before sending?

All i'm interested at this point is "can I import it into FCP or AE.

I am using QT 6 for viewing ..... maybe I need a newer verson ? I don't know?

Change of subject matter ......

I have mentioned this before .... I have tried numerous times over the last year to change my email but, a stupid window always say that my password is being used............... NO CHIT!

I have emailed the office for an answer but NO reply .... guess I should send another one.

This COULD be the reason you weren't able to SEND the file..
I have sent you an email with my new address.

You're much smarter than I am as far as being on top of sending large emails.

One last thing .... thats a GOOD test file for what I need too know ......now if I can save it somehow.

Thanks so much, h

kaye
01-08-2007, 09:15 AM
h,

I got your email but I cannot compress the file anywhere near enough to send via email. Send me your address and I'll burn a CD with the file and send. I could send via email another much shorter file but I think this particular file would be a good choice for you to work with.

I'm going to delete this file off my iDisk. No point in keeping it. Once you get the CD, post here what you find out about the results with the apps you want to use.

I don't know about QT, but QT Pro has a triangle on the lower right side that when clicked has a menu including saving as a QT movie. k

Hazkell
01-08-2007, 01:41 PM
I opened the file that you uploaded to the net and looked for that triangle on the right lower corner ....... grayed out.

Why would there be a "save as" in the menu that doesn't work?

Does'nt matter!
Im just about fed-up with OS 9.X and the net.
Next in line for a change.

Anyhow, I'll send my address.
Check you mail.
Thanks for taking the time to burn a disk and mailing.

Send me an email for expenses!
Do you paypal?

Will most definitly report the outcome.
Thats the best part!

thanks,h

Hazkell
01-08-2007, 03:40 PM
Hey ya all!
Just found this doing a QT search .....

From Ricktoronto

" Quicktime problems with video playing from digital camera "

Posted: Jan 5, 2007 6:11 AM * in response to: newbiemacuser2006 *

Even though the digital camera makers can form alliances for some things they have all gone to the 4 corners of the earth to come up with the motliest group of oddball codecs for these videos that do drive one to distraction.

I have a Canon G7 that uses a good Apple M-JPEG for video that plays in QT natively and extremely good quality , amazing I got the one that wasn't junk. 640X480 or even 1280X720 at 30/15 fps no less.

He has been a QT member since 2003
Looks like I might have struck pay dirt!

Feeling much better now ....... yanks, h

kaye
01-08-2007, 05:34 PM
Interesting h. I just burned a CD with 25 movies taken with the Canon A75 while son and Da Boss were in New Zealand and observing a Mai Ora cultural festival, songs, dances, and stories. avi movies range from 744KB to 56MB, both Mac and PC. Should be plenty to work with. Will try to get it out tomorrow, USPS Priority Mail. You should have it a couple of days after sent. k

Hazkell
01-09-2007, 02:31 AM
Thanks, I'll be looking & waiting!
later, h

kaye
01-09-2007, 12:24 PM
h,

CD went out USPS Priority Mail at 10am Pacific this morning. You should have it in 2-3 days. No cost, my treat. k

Hazkell
01-11-2007, 09:54 AM
So, here we are thinking batteries and charger.

Whats the story on some catching on fire in the camera?

Which oens don't I want to look at?

Why a 2700mAH over a 2900mAH ...... just a little faster and hotter?

Which model and make of battery charger shows the LED read out?

Like always, there's too many choiches!

I trust in your judgement on this matter ..... I know there aren't any garauntees ....... but which are worth looking at>

Getting on this SD card reader, do I just plug it into a USB port on the Mac or get a USB PCI card? ....... DUH!!!
The main reason I ask is I've heard that they usually wear out quickly and it's better to just get a PCI card or am I thinking FW port? ..... DUH!!!

Feels like I'm on the launch pad ......... just waiting for "ALL SYSTEMS GO!".

Hope that CD gets here before my resistance wears to the point that I just buy.. buy .. buy ........... then later realize I should have waited another few days ......... and gotten ALL the facts straight ........

thabks, h

kaye
01-11-2007, 06:34 PM
The best one is this one with lighted display:
http://www.thomas-distributing.com/maha-mh-c808m-battery-charger.htm
They have that charger with various packages of batteries too.

Where did you read about batteries catching fire in a camera? I do know that any of the batteries I have, AA's even as low as 1800mAh, must be in the battery case they provide when not in the charger or camera because the batteries are capable of burning a hole in your pocket if somehow they are shorted.

SD card readers, I don't know, don't have any SD cards. Some reviews here:
http://www.steves-digicams.com/digi_accessories.html#readers
The SanDisk is the latest tested, the others are old.

I don't have any USB2 readers, mine are either FW400 or FW800. The FW800 I have the cord plugged into a FW800 hub all the time and I plug the reader to the cord when I want to use it. k

Hazkell
01-16-2007, 01:06 PM
So, heres an update!

First things first, Kaye .... I believe your files are mpeg- A type .... if interested.

I got the files and spent most of yesterday doing my home work.
Thanks for the different sizes .... they will be quite handy!

Have QT 7 PRO but not installed.
Could swear Ive heard some bad things about QT 7 PRO .. but cant remember exactly what they are, so Ill wait on the upgrade.
Way too many pros / cons.

Downloaded and installed MPEG Streamclip
If Streamclip sees it you can convert it! .. pretty simple . ehe!
Check out ...
http://www.squared5.com/[/url]

Kaye .... it converts a 50 MB file @100% quality @ app. 2.30 min to QT.
Default is 50% quality . dont know about resolution yet!
I gotta tell ya .... they look really good .... to me that is.

How many MP is the camera you sent movies from?

I played three identical movies.... two movies .... one at 50% quality (default setting) and one at 100% quality and the third .... orginal AVI file.

All three movies playing next to one another .... both the QT movies seem a little brighter and crisper than the org AVI file .... little wonder mjpeg is an old abandoned codec.
I believe the only reason Canon uses it is . because they dont have to pay for the license!

I couldn't see any difference between the two QTs at 50% or 100%.
I know I need a NTSC monitor too tell the truth.
Have to take the long scenic route to do it!
AVI to MJPEG Streamclip to Adobe AE 6.5 to Apple FCP4.

Would like to delete one of the steps if going from the AVI to just FCP4 .... if not going to use it in AE 6.5.... but I can live with what I now have.

I do believe that it has to do with the reference (APHA channels) files.
I want the smallest and best resolution thats possible of course.

As far as the original question "can I use the Canon AVI files with Adobe AE and Apple FCP4 .... OH YEA BABY! .... NO PROB!"

Will be back .... more on the way.
More digging needed!, h

kaye
01-17-2007, 07:40 AM
h, glad that CD is working out for you. And I did not even check that they were mpeg A. I am going to look at MPEG Streamclip.

The A75 is 3.2 Mega Pixels. Maybe someone else can help you with eliminating one of the steps. You are already way beyond my knowledge about the subject. k

despaxas
01-17-2007, 03:03 PM
I don't own a Canon still camera, but it almost certainly records video in MPEG1 format. MPEG Streamclip only works with MPEG1 (old codec) and MPEG2 (SD DVD video) files I believe. MJPEGA is different and a very high quality codec that is still in use and is not really usefull in making small files.

So if you are taking an MPEG1 file as an .avi into MPEG Streamclip and exporting to an MJPEGA .mov file, it's not surprising that the export looks the same at 50% and 100% quality because MJPEGA looks much better and uses a much higher data rate to encode video than MPEG1.

Any .mov file that MPEG Streamclip exports should be useable in FCP4, so I'm not sure why you would need to use AE in between unless for effects, of course.

MPEG1 and MPEG2 files are not editable in FCP, so MPEG Streamclip will always be needed to convert the avi. files.

Also, QT Pro should be able to convert the .avi file also, but sometimes it has trouble with the audio stream of some .avi files, so who knows if it will work for you. If MPEG Streamclip works, then just stick with that. The QT 7 problem was something with 7.2, a security problem I think, and has been fixed in a later update.

Hazkell
01-18-2007, 11:30 AM
Hey, I stand corrected if Im wrong!
Sure wouldnt be the first time .. my mind has been oiled too many times and basicly runs on SLICK 50! .. HUH?

I believe that Canon does use MPEG for most of its cameras EXCEPT the A series and a couple others.

Have discovered that the only WAY that lets me skip one step is to use the export as DV .
So, now I can use this option .. with one of the three different compressors which will be used by default.
Ive been told that these are high quality.

I made three files, each one with a different compressor.
Wanting to see the different size files each one creates.
Resolution quality is great on all three.

Guess which one I'll be using? ....... the smallest.

Ive also figured out that using MPEG Streamclip, I can strip the compression from any file if wanting. and use RAW footage . if Im a glutton for punishment ... and twenty years younger that is!

Meaning mainly those footage files will be HU ... G....E!!!!

I think Im pretty much finished with this thread unless someone else wishes to add something.

All I have left to do is decide which camera I need!
I'm as happy as a possum eating ............. sh_t!

Thank you all and good- night! . h

Hazkell
01-19-2007, 01:46 PM
After reading the last post one more time ..... think I better correct myself on part of the compresson statement.

Explained as briefly as possible: When any camera captures an image, it's essentially in RAW form. The camera then applies its filters like saturation, contrast, and sharpening, and compresses it all into a JPEG file. All of the original data is permanently lost at that point, so you get only the post-processed images. Many photographers who are looking at the Canon A and G series would prefer to have the option of tweaking that RAW data themselves on a computer, rather than accepting Canon's default settings.

This makes more sense too me after being around audio compresson all these years!

Well, I was told it could be done ..... I'll be trying that shortly.
If you don't see any new postings after today ...... you will know it CAN'T be perfomed.

later, h

Hazkell
01-26-2007, 05:25 PM
Well, finally made my move and purchased a Canon A640 Powershot.

I spent many a night vezzing between old and new G5, G6, G7, the Pro1 and all Powershots.
Thats a maze I'll never miss .........

After deciding that the only sense in buying a GOOD new camera ..... is the bad news of spending $175.00 miss. mantenance items to keep it looking and running correctly.

This is why a used camera sounded good ... only to find that they would have a short video recording function.... not long enough for me!

Hence, the A640.
Don't beleave I'll need or want such large files but better safe than sorry ... at this point.

Got my MAHA C-9000 battery charger today .... the one with the large LCD..... this ones to have .... shows any and everything you need too know about your battery charges .... thanks for the idea ... KAYE!
It has a good following so far

Went to do a break-in charge on the PowerX 2700s and the C-9000 .... showed the charge at 2800+ mAh after about 192 minutes.
Just like they advertise ..... 2700s hold more than what their rated at.
Will eventually pick up a couple of 8 packs of 2900s.

Will also get an AC / DC power adapter.
Going to see if my Sony walkman AC/ DC adapter works first.

Waiting for the knock on the door with / for my new toy.

h

Hazkell
02-09-2007, 11:32 AM
Got my A640 about a week ago and have been trying to get a grip on the essentials.
I'm impressed!

Also picked up a USB 2 reader/writer ....... called "DAZZLE".
Also picked up a "carring case".

Haven't tryed downloading anthing yet to the G4.

Will have first hand knowlegde at converting and importing to AE and FCP4.
Wont be surprised if a few statements from previous post need correcting..... seeing how this is my first experience ........ touched "like a virgin .... for the very first time"................

Hey despaxas! ................ I just tryed importing the original AVI files into FCP4, without any converting ......... guess what? ....... it opened.
Looks like I was mistaken ........ which is even better because .... now the files are smaller and one less save is used ...... less one degradation involved.

I can strip the audio signal from the video signal in FCP4 .... dont know about AE yet..... but will shortly.
The mics are pretty crappy ....... I'll be putting my own sound effects and music bed in .... from the libary.

Adobe AE won't let me import any AVI files ..... but will take .mov, DV and probably a few others ...... MPEG Streamclip does many.

Whats pretty cool is that after you take a picture, during playback, you can crop anthing within the picture .... up close and personal.
Not only that but quality wise. Must be the 10 MP.

Don't know if that can be done during a video playback .... almost positive I can zoom in during AE ....... but will check that out at some point and report back when I have more information ........ I'm thinking the only thing the A640 is missing is the IS.

I'm now searching for the right size tripod ........ another maze to get lost in.
Only way to get IS, is to choose a different model.

Then I lose a couple of features in the A640 that I want.

Video recording is pretty darn good!

Canon has had years to work out their marketing strategy! ....... Athholes!

later, dudettes!

despaxas
02-09-2007, 01:41 PM
Yes, you can open just about anything quicktime can read in FCP, and when that file's window is selected you can export the video and/or audio into various formats, just as you would from quicktime pro. But, when you want to edit that video you must first make a sequence and a timeline in a format that FCP can edit, which does not include most AVIs, MPEG1 or MPEG2 files. If you drag in a file to the timeline that is different from the timeline and sequence settings, FCP will require you to render the footage to match the sequence settings and that is a conversion. I believe the only AVIs that can be edited in FCP without rendering are compressed using the DV or cinepak codecs, though I've never tried it. The header information and audio structure for AVIs is different than MOVs, so YMMV. If the camera does capture video in the MJPEG-A format, a MJPEG-A sequence in FCP might let you edit without rendering even though it is an AVI, worth a try.

Hazkell
02-12-2007, 11:59 AM
Heres a small bit of info.
Main programs - Adobe AE6.5 & Apple FCP4.

Importing into..........

ADOBE AE

Animation - Y
Apple DVCPRO.mov - Y
Apple DVCPRO 50.mov - Y
Apple Video.mov - Y
AVI(mjpeg) - Y
DV(DV25).dv - Y
DVCPRO 25.dv - Y
DVCPRO 50.dv - Y

Apple FCP4

Animation - N
Apple DVCPRO.mov - N
Apple DVCPR50.mov - N
Apple Video.mov - N
AVI (mjpeg) - Y
DV(25).dv - Y
DVCPRO25.dv - Y
DVCPRO50.dv - Y

Not sure if this will help anyone ......... but does for ME!
Don't know which I'll be using..... yet.

Just remember! ....... start small ...... the adventure starts with the first step..... the hardest one.
Deciding on whether to..... take it or not.
After that ..... it all starts falling in place.

Hey! isn't that "one of " the main theams of "Lord of the Rings"