PDA

View Full Version : iPhoto Buddy

yeungfeng
12-14-2006, 01:42 AM
I've got a young girl friend:D, er, a friend who is young female, college student. Loves her iBook G4 1.33.

She came to me with a problem. 6 months at sea (for school) and her 100GB HD is 92% full :eek: So she wanted help......:eek:

Started out by having her order a Burley FW Hot Swap (ohhh, I'd like one too) and will have her back up everything.

All she has on this iBook is music and photos (iTunes & iPhoto). She needs to achrive the photos and I found iPhoto Buddy (http://www.iphotobuddy.com/) but have never seen it before.

Does anyone know about this program??? Or have another idea?

Thanks

kaye
12-14-2006, 04:53 PM
How big is the Burly Hot Swap HD? Assuming it is large size you could backup the whole drive to say a 200GB first partition wich would put her back to about 46% used and another partition for iPhoto Buddy to do its thing or something else like Synk. I have no experience with iPhoto Buddy.

I like SuperDuper for backing up a drive. First time backup takes 30min or more. From then on Smart Backup takes 10-15min. k

yeungfeng
12-15-2006, 06:07 PM
Kaye, I agree SuperDuper is SuperDuper. I have had the best results using SuperDuper, it's the best of all the backup programs I have spent so much money on. Easy to use and bootable backups as well.

I think the Burly Hot Swap HD has the Hitachi 250GB SATA Drive, suppose i should have suggested the Seagate 320GB SATA Drive, but there was a financial consideration weighing in on the decision.

Had figured that upgrading the HD to a Momentus 160GB and maxing out the RAM would be a good thing to do, but that was more than she wanted to spend. Too bad would have been nice. Now to figure what to do next.

unclemac
12-15-2006, 10:07 PM
There may be easier ways, but I like the idea of the complete backup on a partition, so that you have disaster recovery. If the laptop drive failed tomorrow, you can boot and have everything.......all those little things that are nice, but not deal breakers: browser bookmarks and the like.

The only problem with this plan is you (she) needs to offload about half of her data to keep the book happy......and once you clone it over to the FW drive, and then erase large amounts of data, you (she) will need to connect and easily navigate to the data to actually use it. No way around that problem that I know of, short of having a file server of some sort.

Get that thing cleaned up......I have seen 'books shoved full to the point of not booting, and damage was done to the OS directory. Not good.

kaye
12-16-2006, 07:47 AM
I'm with you 100% Unc. What has me scratching my head is that after she clones the 'book HD over to the FW drive, then eliminates all those files on the 'book HD, she can no longer later clone the 'book HD to the FW drive without losing those files on the FW drive. Plus she is married to having the FW drive always hooked up and booting to it. Getting complicated and I don't think he wants to have her faced with complications.

The only clone application I recall that could make a bootable backup and not erase what was only on the backup and still replace older files with newer files is Tri-BACKUP which is very long in the tooth and difficult to setup. That would not work. Still pondering this. Maybe someone has an idea that would be simple. k

yeungfeng
12-16-2006, 08:19 PM
100% right Kaye, how does she keep her info available with out the extenal drive. Defeats the idea of the portable laptop. What eats up space more, itune music or iphotos? I must also ask her what, of these two, she wants to have access to more frequently.

I'm thinking I should have encouraged her get a larger HD. Wonder if and exchange is possible, before the backup gets started, or maybe an extra sled and drive. Still, the limitation is with the iBooks HD. With portability a factor a Mapower Aluminum FW400 Enclosure (http://www.macgurus.com/productpages/firewire/MiniFW.php) and a Momentus 160GB HD installed on the iBook, might be the only solution. And keep the Burly Firewire Hotswap w/ it's 250GB HD as a backup.

It's only money, right?

unclemac
12-16-2006, 08:56 PM
YF: right. :D

You might consider a tool like WhatSize or DiskSweeper to look at the size of all files, and see if there is anything that she is willing to delete or off load to archive (that she doesn't need frequent access to).

Outside of that, depending on the OS version and how/what was installed, you may be able to delete some default stuff that can take up GBs of space. iPhoto got fat a while back when they added themes. You can delete the themes and trim iPhoto from almost 500 MB down to under 100MB. You can delete oodles of stuff for Garage Band if not needed, and 10.4 comes with something like 2GB of print drivers, most of which you don't need. With a little work you can trim down a basic OS plus most apps to about 5 GB, as opposed to Apple's 12-15GB.

Kaye: Welcome the the wonderful life of a backup admin. :rolleyes:

There are ways to do this, but the easiest that comes to mind it to have both:

Full bootable backup. I like to call it a snapshot. This would need a drive or partition at least as big as the ibook drive.

-plus-

a data only incremental backup using something like Retropect or SuperDuper that will let you easily backup say, just the user directory, and then continue to update that with scheduled incremental shots that only add new stuff, and leave the rest of your backed up files alone. For this you would probably want about double the space you have in the directory you want to backup.

All this means that one would need something like 3+times the amount of space as the ibook drive.......and it still doesn't answer the question of the convenience of not carrying all your data on your ibook, or at least being able to easily get at it if it is on a FW backup somewhere.

kaye
12-17-2006, 10:41 AM
I do see what you mean Unc. you got your hands full. I looked at a pro service for a bigger HD here http://www.techrestore.com/xcart/product.php?productid=17131&cat=255 which gets expensive with shipping options and choices for what to do with the old HD. For me, a do it yourself install with someone else's computer, even my wife's iBook, no way. She was livid a few days ago when our DSL was down for about an hour, her first experience with that, can't even remember the last time that happened.

Anyway, I did some investigation on her iBook this morning:
Optional 80GB HD
Capacity: 74.41GB, Available: 52.55GB, Used: 21.86GB, 29% full
iPhoto: 3444 photos, 2.7GB
iTunes: 260 songs, 13.3 hours, 863.6MB, 2 movies, 45.7 minutes, 223.2MB

My G5:
iPhoto: 3795 photos + 3 movies = 3.0GB
iTunes: 295 songs, 15 hours, 1014.6MB, movies & TV shows, 436.4MB

I thought I had a lot. Can't imagine what your friend has. k