PDA

View Full Version : power book vs mac book

jm123
12-02-2006, 05:21 AM
Hello and good morning (if you're in england).

Just been given a chance to purchase a new laptop, to replace my current power book G4 1ghz 12"- the replacement would be a macbook, either 1.83, or 2.00ghz core 2 duo setup. Thing is, with software issues aside (im hoping adobe will pull thier finger out and create the next universal batch asap), will i really see a significant increase in speed?

On paper, the macbook has more L2 cache, and all that, but I was wondering whether anyone has both of the aforementioned machines, and done any bench tests?

They still sell the powerbooks over here, and there more expensive than a new macbook, I guess that was the start of my questioning...

cheers,

j

kaye
12-02-2006, 07:47 AM
I couldn't tell exactly which PowerBook G4 you have but until I know more or someone else chimes in, I did a search on Xbench and came up with a comparison. I did not pick the fastest for either but did pick the nearly fastest for each. One thing about Xbench, the latest version 1.3 does not identify a lot of the info near the top of the page and needs to be updated (Processor, L1 and L2 Cache, Bus Frequency, and Video Card). Anyway, here it is:
http://db.xbench.com/merge.xhtml?doc1=190890&doc2=202842
k

TZ
12-02-2006, 07:56 AM
I am sure you can find some benchmarks.... and I would say goodbye to G4 series. Even if it has to run PPC with Rosetta.

jm123
12-02-2006, 08:26 AM
thanks Kaye and TZ, extremely helpful as always. looking at the results, the macbook will blow the power book out of the water (hopefully)

thanks again,

J