PDA

View Full Version : Hi Unclemac - Server ?

Disc2
11-21-2006, 02:33 PM
Hi Unclemac,
Is an Xserve G4 also can run like a regular G4. Example using photoshop CS and any other imaging software? Thanks, gerry

unclemac
11-21-2006, 05:10 PM
Short answer is yes.

Big and loud, but if you have it and a space for it, and a way to mount it (a rack) not a big issue. What else.....no AGP slot for fast graphics, which will hurt with PS and the like.

Update: whoops, I stand corrected. Found this spec for the later model G4 Xserve regarding expansion slots (but I believe it's the same for all the G4 Xserves):

"Standard: an ATI PCI card with 32 MB of DDR SDRAM occupies the lower PCI slot. An optional AGP 4X graphics card with 64 MB of DDR SDRAM,
DVI, VGA, and S-video connections occupies the PCI/AGP slot."

Never tried an AGP card in one, but it sounds like std. 4X AGP cards will work?

The G5s only have two PCI-X slots.

Disc2
11-21-2006, 09:42 PM
Hi UncleMac,
Thanks for your quick response. I know this is one easy question for you. Thanks for the help. -Gerry

unclemac
11-22-2006, 01:35 AM
No worries.

The other thing that might be a factor is OS. I know the first G4 Xserves would only install OS X server, though I have read that many a bloke is running regular non-server (client?) OS X on G5 xserves, so it is doable. I can't tell you what to expect on a G4 Xserve. Basically, if the box doesn't throw an error telling you "this OS won't install on this hardware", you should be in the clear.

Server is, in a nutshell, OS X plus a bunch of serivces and the admin tools to configure and monitor them. You can run Server and install and run other apps all you like, but you would want to be sure you shut off all the services you don't need if you are running this box as a work station. Piece of cake to do if you want everything off, just a waste of a Server license.