PDA

View Full Version : Internet Video Help

Disc2
11-03-2006, 10:30 PM
Hi, My old high school will have a reunion at the end of the year and some people wont be able to attend.
Question:
1) Is there a way to shoot video and show it over the internet? (30 to 50 people might view)
2) What equipment do we need?
3) Is it complicated setup?
3) People using PC can see them?
Please help.

rwm
11-04-2006, 08:43 PM
I am sure ... but just how. :o

unclemac
11-04-2006, 10:47 PM
Well, there are ways, but each has a limitation or cost.

There are two basic methods that I am aware of. The first is a video conference, like iChat, that could be interactive. The second is a Quicktime webcast that is a live broadcast, but not interactive.

The iChat interactive would be cool, but can only do a total of 4 users, whereas the Quicktime webcast is like a TV broadcast and can handle as many users as your server and bandwidth can handle. Check out the links and info at the Quicktime Broadcast (http://www.apple.com/quicktime/broadcaster/) info. Being a webcast, I would certainly expect that anybody that can load Quicktime and has internet access should be able to tune in.

Have not done it myself, so I can't answer too much more than this.

Disc2
11-06-2006, 06:27 PM
Hi RWM, UncleMac,
Seems that Quicktime Broadcast will work but I'm not sure what a streaming server means. Is that a web host that I need to subscribe? Is it a hardware that I can install and use within my computer? Please let me know if you have more details that can add. Thanks again in advance.

rwm
11-06-2006, 08:28 PM
streaming server means. Is that a web host that I need to subscribe? Yes your ISP. Wait until unc, TZ, Nicolas or others who can give you a "real" what/why. Also is .......... (30 to 50 people might view) accurate ............? - Randy

Disc2
11-06-2006, 10:50 PM
Hi again, What is the difference between a regular G4 and a G4 Server-Xserve? Is it just the sofware installed within? Is it just the design? Can I install a server software on a regular G4? This is what I read: "Mac OS X Server version 10.4 includes the latest version of the popular QuickTime
Streaming Server, providing a complete solution for streaming live and on-demand media to audiences everywhere".
Any ideas? Thanks

unclemac
11-07-2006, 09:20 AM
You are on the right track.

Server is pre-loaded on xserves but can be run on almost any Mac. We have it running on various G4s, even a Mini. The biggest limitiation, AFAIK, is your bandwidth from where the server connects to the internet.

So what you would need:

Digital video camera connected with FW cable to a Mac to capture video, networked locally to a Mac that is broadcasting to the internet. So you will need good bandwidth at the event I would think.

I suggest you download the Quicktime Broadcas and Streaming Server manual and give it a read. Not too technical, and you will get an idea of how everything fits together.

Disc2
11-07-2006, 08:03 PM
Thank you very much UncleMac for the advice.
I think I'm getting there. I have seen some setup over the web and quite simple but outdated OSX3.9 but I'll give it a try again. I downloaded and installed Broadcast and also the manual. Again thanks :)