PDA

View Full Version : New Task, G4 file server

Willc73
09-30-2006, 02:09 AM
Ok, now what I want to do is turn a old G4 I have into a file server for my studio. I have three computers that need to access large images. I want to hook up my 5 bay SATA tower to it and create as much storage space as possible.
Should I just purchase MacOSX Server? once I do, how do I get files from it and save files to it?

Nicolas
09-30-2006, 08:46 AM
Hello,

you don't need the server version but, how you will do the backup?
A server without a good backup solution is nothing IMHO.

So, you should invest the money, saved on OSX server, into a backup solution, multiple FW/SATA HDs for daily/weekly backups.

Your G4 should have at least 512MB RAM, well more is better and 2 smaller HDs installed so you can setup a RAID1 for the system. Yes, split System and Data, use your 5 bay thingy for data only.

Regards

Nicolas

Willc73
09-30-2006, 09:59 AM
Ok,
most of that is greek to me, but I think I get the idea.
I am just a photographer and the only thing I really do with computers is use photoshop.
So without osx server how do I get the info from that computer to my other computer?
Yes I do plan on purchasing another 5 bay Port Multiplier case for backup.

Nicolas
09-30-2006, 10:21 AM
You can connect from to a computer just using the "normal" OSX version, that is build in and it was build in since System7.

Basically you install OSX on that Mac, create one user, goto sharing prefpane within system prefs and start it, then you can log into this mac from another using the name and the PSW you specified at installation. Thats it.

Raid1:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAID#RAID_1

Yes, this stuff is geeky cuz all computer stuff is. But it is doable with some help.
But, if you want to setup a server you just need basics so you have to learn how a server is suposed to be and basic Unix stuff. Ok most stuff can be configured via the GUI (your desktop, pref panes etc) there is also a good tool called sharepoint to setup shares (shares are lets say folders and you'll need to configure which users should have access to it).
OSX server has this tools build in but for 2 to 5 users OSX server is not worth the costs.

Regards

Nicolas

unclemac
09-30-2006, 10:53 AM
Right. Sharepoints will get you there, and is not too hard to set up.

As Nic said, reliable hardware is the backbone, which needs to be done first.

Are the other machines already on a network, or do you need to set that up too?

Willc73
09-30-2006, 11:58 AM
I have three computers that are hooked up to the internet with a ethernet cable, that goes through a router so I think they are hooked up. My G4 has always worked fine it is a G4 800mhz with 2gb ram. I don't use it anymore for a workstation and right now it just plays Itunes for the studio and gets on the internet. I will have to put a sata card in it, and I think I will buy a couple more port multiplier cases for the other computers. I know servers can be slow to transfer large files, so if I have to I want to be able to move hard drives around.