PDA

View Full Version : partition scratch

jacob
09-22-2006, 03:12 PM
Hey guys--

I usually avoid partitioning, but with a new scratch RAID I am implementing, and because the drives are so large-- I want to use the outer part of the disks for the scratch.
I could use the inner partitions for nightly double-backup or something useful but not critical.
But I am unsure of the literal steps to partition it this way.

When using disk utulity-- and I know some of you prefer softraid-- anyway, is it the right or left side which is the 'outside'?

thanks,

jacob

TZ
09-22-2006, 03:50 PM
You cannot partition RAID disks using Apple software. For that, you need SoftRAID if you want to.

You can limit and force the Apple RAID to only use 50% if you partition each drive first with 50% hfs and 50% free space.

right? left? of what? the outer tracks would be the first partition. You can then test your setup with QuickBench or something.

TZ
09-22-2006, 04:02 PM
PS: give more details - Mac, what you are setting up scratch for, how many drives, boot drive etc.

It sounds like you didn't get the memo - don't store files on RAID drives even with SoftRAID - use another drive(s) for backup etc. Partition your boot drive if it has the room and won't impact the OS.

jacob
09-24-2006, 09:34 AM
Thats what I needed to double-check. the 1st is outer thing. It's counter-intuitive for me (think CDs)

Again, I'm not a partition person so I never thought much about that.

I DID get the memo on the RAID storage thing. I have double-backups and in some cases triple backups.

What I meant was that since I'm taking 2 320 GB disks to make a RAID0, its a huge waste of space which could be utilized. Since I already backup everything to the fileserver, this would be an additional fail-safe.

I would not suggest people use RAID0 as their sole backup. But it sure does a snappy job ;)

TZ
09-24-2006, 10:13 AM
I just learned from someone that Apple does in fact allow multiple RAID sets on the same drives. I was not able to test or see if I could have a non-RAID along with RAID.

And I don't know when this was added. 10..4? 10.4.4? or even later?

And yes, it is useful and can help improve performance.
I also find myself creating backups to sparse disk images of volumes and important stuff (boot drive, home folder, projects) and do my backups that way.

If you want multiple RAID sets, see my other post under "RAID" today (and it seems like this is more of a RAID topic than Graphics scratch disk RAID we commonly get).

Anyway, create your partitions, then drag the volume from each drive into the create RAID window in Disk Utility.

jacob
09-24-2006, 10:31 AM
yes, this is a discussion better had in RAID.
I'll go there (http://www.macgurus.com/forums/showthread.php?p=103335).