PDA

View Full Version : Which DVD Burner?

Hazkell
08-16-2006, 01:15 AM
I need to get a new DVD burner.
The one I've been looking at is the Pioneer 111D.
Is this the current favorite of the month?
Do you guys have any favorites?
Could use some feedback?

Once again, the fickle finger of fate steps in!
Before I can even start my processor upgrade, I better cover my butt........thrice!

Thoght I better make a couple more COPIES of my HD.
Problem is........ too large for any CD, hench needing a DVD burner.

"Down at the crossroads, got my G4 by my side."
"Down at the crossroads, beleve I'm sinking ..... down."

I'll be buying one imediately, using overnight shipping.
Got to get this phoenix up and flying on the first flight......right?

ADVICE NEEDED!!!!!

Thanks, over and out ............. good buuuddy!

Damien
08-16-2006, 03:53 AM
I have had 4 Pioneer DVD burners and never had a problem with any of them. I still know the location of the first one (103.. the first one shipped in any mac) and it's still going strong. I currently own 2, a 106 and a 109 Dual Layer. A friend just this month bought the 111 and is having no issues with it.

despaxas
08-16-2006, 07:30 AM
Between OEM and retail models I have 1 of each model from the 103 on (including 9 111Ds) and they all still work great. Good stuff...

Just be sure to use good media like Memorex or Taiyo Yuden if possible.

TZ
08-16-2006, 07:38 AM
There is a long thread in the G4 MDD area of Apple Discussions, Optical Drives... you ought to see the huge number of smiling grins of folks with the 111Ds!

I don't burn that many DVDs or I'd add one to my 106.

Hazkell
08-16-2006, 10:48 AM
Thanks! I was pretty darn sure that was the one to get.
Just needed a double check.

Zipzoomfly has a bare bones unit, but doesn't state whether it even comes with screws or manual!

Don't I need a different cable also?
I'll pick one up at the same time!

I have been trying to find a few post, here.
Just which thread am I looking for?
For me, it's like looking for a needle in a hay stack!

Damien
08-16-2006, 11:05 AM
Just be sure to use good media like Memorex or Taiyo Yuden if possible.

wow this just goes to show you your mileage may vary... memorex??? I would not use memorex ever again (I guess that leaves more for despaxas :D ) Verbatim is my DL disc of choice. :D

TZ
08-16-2006, 11:20 AM
You might want to use a cable and connect it to your main IDE port rather than the much slowe optical bay in your DA, that way you do get more benefit which would be lost on slower IDE bus.

MDD: DVD/CD (http://discussions.apple.com/forum.jspa?forumID=579)

Hazkell
08-16-2006, 01:53 PM
TZ, I need to know more about this cable thing and faster bus?
Can someone tell me what I'm missing?

I've only had a couple hours sleep.
Obviously very detrimental to my little nut.
Thanks!

despaxas
08-16-2006, 02:09 PM
Yup, memorex has incredibly wide compatability, though I don't use their dual layer discs. I have a business that turns out about 1,200 DVDs a month from VHS or film transfers or whatever, and in the rare event that someone's DVD player doesn't read Taiyo Yuden, I'll put it on a Memorex instead and it works every time. Originally, before Taiyo made DVD-Rs, Maxell was the king of compatability until they changed their dye for 4X DVD-Rs and even still burning them at 2X like I had before, many DVD players wouldn't recognize them. Again, replacing them with Memorex worked every time. My problem with Memorex is that they don't make a blank white top DVD for direct to disc printing, their printable discs have the brand logo on the top center which looks too consumer-ish.

Back in the day when I was trying every brand, I tried Verbatim and every one came back with people saying it skipped on their DVD player (burned at 1x or 2x). I'm sure they are much better now, but to me Taiyo is the new king.

Damien
08-16-2006, 03:24 PM
but to me Taiyo is the new king.

Never heard of them but I will be looking for them next time I am shopping for discs, and give them a try.

When CD burning was first introduced you found a brand that your burner liked and you stuck with it no matter what... now any generic brand will do fine. When DVD burning got here Apple media was the only media I would buy.. now for single layer I buy whatever is cheapest. Perhaps Dual Layer is now stable/established enough to move to cheaper discs and I am holding on to what works for me beyond an actual need to do so.

M.Brane
08-16-2006, 10:04 PM
Taiyo Yuden has been the preferred brand for CD mastering for years due to their typically low error rates.. Never tried their DVDs.

I've had good results with TDK. Been using the print-on ones for a while now with no problems.

Back to Hazkell's question: the better cable, and faster bus is good for burning DVDs at higher speeds. The bus that the stock CD/DVD drive is on is slow. It will get the job done, but you can gain some speed by using the hard drive bus. That is if you're not using it to boot from. For CDRs it's a pretty much a non-issue.

Hazkell
08-17-2006, 04:17 AM
GOT IT!
THANK YOU.......BRANE!

Nothing like starting a thread and then see it blossum into something else.
Although I'll difinitely be buying some media in the next few days.

You see, I have never messed with anything other than SCSI.
I know absolutely nothing about IDE, SATA, PATA .......only PITA.

This post turned out pretty good, short and to the point.
Thanks eveybody, lets move on!
h

Macnewbe
08-28-2006, 08:24 AM
I just added a Liteon DVD burner (SHW-160P6S manufactured March 2006) to a Sony iLink firewire enclosure. Everything seams to work fine except iDVD which was why I bought it in the first place. iDVD does not reconize it. Under system profile it sees the DVD burner under disc burning under firewire device it sees the iLink box as the original Sony CD-R/RW CRX1600L. I use this enclosure to for a bunch of things, it is easy to open and change stuff, I had DVD RAM drive , Hard drives CD burners etc. and they all seam to worked. there is a unit software and firmware revisons listed in the system profile, Can they be updated. They are differnet the firmware listed when looking at the Lite on drive under disk burning. So I can only assume it is for the enclosure.

When I installed iDVD it said that there was not a supported burner and that I could use idvd but could not burn DVDs, But every time I open iDVD it just says not supported dvd burner and quits.

1 Any thoughts on how if possible I can get this drive to be supported, the literature talks about being able to update firmware, it running the lastest udpdate as best as I can tell but there tech site makes no mention of Mac support.

2. What burners are supported, I would like to use an internal drive mounted in the iLink or Boa enclosures I have, Firewire 400. Or I could install a slot drive in the iMac, a 400mhz DV, 1GB OS 10.4.6.
Thanks Bob

Hazkell
08-29-2006, 10:41 AM
Man, I don't know sh_t from shine-ola as far as any of that goes.
I thought I'd just post this in hopeing to keep this thread "on top" in case someone stumbles upon your questions.

Someone on here has your answers .................. maybe!
h

Macnewbe
08-29-2006, 09:42 PM
I thought I'd just post this in hopeing to keep this thread "on top" in case someone stumbles upon your questions.

Someone on here has your answers .................. maybe!
h

Thanks , I think they do too, or I just posted in the wrong place.
It just seams so un-Apple like for a drive to work with most things but iDVD?

Bob

TerryR
08-30-2006, 02:29 AM
Macnewbe,
Just off the top of my head, have you tried Patchburn? (there's a version for Tiger in the event that there isn't iApp support for a specific burner):

Patchburn (http://www.patchburn.de/download.html)

despaxas
08-30-2006, 09:23 AM
I don't know too much about iDVD, but I do know that at least the older versions would only work with a DVD drive connected to the internal bus. External drives were not supported in iDVD, but Toast 6 and higher can build simple DVDs from QuickTime files and works with external drives.

I seem to remember seeing a hack or workaround somewhere, and a search under "idvd external drive hack" came up with a lot of results. Good luck.

Macnewbe
08-31-2006, 08:18 AM
Thanks for the edvice on Patchburn, that would probably work, but I finally realies my big problem was that this little old iMAc just does not have the processor power for iDVD, at least iDVD 4 says it needs a G4 at 733mhz min. I just may be out of luck. you would think it would not let me install the software but it installs just does not work.

Thanks again
Bob