View Full Version : G5 1.8 single for video

07-30-2006, 01:24 AM
I have a 1.8Gz single processor G5 (1.5G RAM, 2x160G SATA internal drives) that I've been using for editing DV. Though performance is okay (but not stellar) introducing HDV processing has resulted in very long render times. I am wondering whether upgrades to this computer will make a signficant difference to performance or whether I should instead be saving up for a faster computer.


07-30-2006, 07:38 AM
well more ram, faster drives and a top of the line video card would certainly help but your processor can't be upgraded

250 for another 2gigs of ram
400 for a pair of fast drives, 600 if you want the fastest raptors
300+ for a 6800Ultra video card

That's a LOT of $ to spend on a single 1.8 G5. That mac was released 3 years ago next month.

Putting that $ toward a new Mac would be my choice

07-30-2006, 11:00 AM
It is my understanding that video rendering is almost all CPU related, so it would be best to look for a replacement.

Intel based G5 replacements could be out as soon as about 3 weeks from now. That will drive down the price of used G5s, which would make it easier for you to buy, say, a used dual 2.3 or 2.5, but also make your current model worth less too...

Hard choices.

07-30-2006, 11:48 AM
unc, you sure know your "POOP"!

07-30-2006, 12:29 PM
Quad G5 from Apple Store Specials. You can save $500 and put that toward RAM or 150GB Raptor (which won't work on older G5s).

Quad is 'proven' and PPC so you don't have to worry about fixes, firmware updates, Universal Binary, or Rev 1 Mac Pros.

You know it will take 6-9 months to 'fix' OS X 10.4.8+ and another 6-9 months for Leopard (which seems to be average for OS X release versions). Developers need to update and test, tweak their applications, Apple needs time to refine OS X Tiger/Leopard to work with any new hardware. New video cards and drivers? controller issues?

Quad will let you work fast, work through the transition phase, and is not going to be out of date or obsolete next month or next year - but in two years, 4 x 4 core cpus might :D

MacBook Pro and iMacIntel are great but haven't been w/o their issues.

07-30-2006, 02:01 PM
Quad would be great, no doubt:


Notice those are over the base numbers of a Dual 2.7...imagine what the numbers are compared to a single 1.8.

And I agree that rev1 of any major new model has risks...although some of that may be lessoned if you use Final Cut or other Uninversal Binary software that runs native on Intel already. Usually good to wait at least a couple months, as sometimes there are minor logic board changes early on in production. Happened that way with the MacBook Pro. As I understand it, there have been about 3 minor revs to it since the first shipped.

So it comes down to: Buy mature PPC Dual or Quad, and be set now, vs. wait anywhere from a 2 to 6 months (unknown as of today) and go Intel....and that's only if your critical software runs native on Intel.

07-30-2006, 02:07 PM
Several sources that are fairly accurate, including think seceret (http://thinksecret.com/news/0607intelcore2.html).