PDA

View Full Version : Data from Quadra 630 to 650 and on??

mac-in-tosh
07-15-2006, 02:13 PM
Hello All, I'm trying to help a friend who is still using a Quadra 630 get closer to a more modern machine. Usually in the old days if I wanted to copy a hard drive I'd simply puts both drive's SCSI 50pin or 68pin adapted drives in one case and copy one to the other. Done! no problem.

Now this Quadra 630 takes me back to the begining of my Mac days and fear most data has been replaced in my hard drive (brain) with more current systems. My thought is to set up an old Quadra 650 I still have and back up the OS to 7.5.3. on its 50pin SCSI HD. That's the OS curently on her Quadra 630, Copy it over from her drive and then slowly see about upgrading the software to hopefully OS 91.

Heres the catch, the 630 has a 40? pin HD and the 650 has the 50pin drive.

I seem to remember something about Apple Talk but never did really use it. Wish I could just connect the two with a SCSI cable and copy it over but something reminds me it's not that simple.

Somewhere around here I have some old apple talk connectors? 2, 8 or 9 pin dins to a phone lie or eithernet between the two? I don't beleive I still have a nubus eithernet adapter so that's out and I don't have a 40 to 50 pin adapter for the HD either.

This woman is an artist and mostly what is on here simply CAN'T be lost.

I'm going to see if I still have an old Zip or Jazz drive and try backing some up provided I can find drivers which I beleive I can.

So bottom line what's the safest way to get her data off that old 40pin drive to on of my 50pin SCSI drives? Once there I can use an old iMac I have and install Tiger and clasic and hopefully she will still be able to run her old software. If OS 9.1 is as high as I can go that in a fully blow 9600 is the best I can do that will certainly be better then that old Quadra 630 with 38mb ram and a 200mb HD.

All help welcome! Thanks!

Ken

:dance:

M.Brane
07-15-2006, 04:27 PM
Thye 630 uses an IDE drive not SCSI. Don't know if the bus will support a slave, but if so you could transer her stuff to a new drive that way.

mac-in-tosh
07-15-2006, 04:32 PM
Can't it be done through apple talk?

M.Brane
07-15-2006, 04:41 PM
Yeah all you have to do is set up file sharing between the two. That should be easy if you have all the right cables/connectors.

Going directly from drive to drive would be faster though.

I wonder if you put the IDE drive from the 630 into a Firewire case if it would mount on the iMac. Don't see why it wouldn't unless it's too old to work on an ATA bus.

I bet one of the other gurus around here would know for sure.

mac-in-tosh
07-15-2006, 05:07 PM
I have it trans files but it did say there were some I didn't have privs for? I know there were only 4200 files on the 200mb ide drive and I'm getting almost 4k. As there is no password on the drive I'm thinking maybe some are Apple files it wont allow me to transfer? For now Apple talk file sharing seems to be working. I'll see it it gets them all in an hour or so,lol.

:dance: