PDA

View Full Version : XLR8 Pro View USB ...?

Hazkell
07-14-2006, 10:16 AM
Thinking of getting one, but before a puchase - more info. please!
Did a search on google and yahoo and only got the DayStar site.

Has anybody ever used or own one?
Are they worth owning?

I have many videos from the past and thought I could burn some DVDs on the cheap?
It's a daystar product, so I assume the quality and resolution is excellent.

What do I know.
Can't find any reviews orther than whats on DayStar.

Could also use it to make QT movies for AE.
Am I way off base or what?

Got some help!
hazkell

Hazkell
07-14-2006, 10:33 PM
Oh baby........send help and point me in a direction.
I'll do the research ...... need a lead, thank you very much!

Leighgion
07-15-2006, 12:18 AM
I've never owned one of the Xlr8 USB video products, but I was quite surprised they rolled out another model. The original one had a much clearer appeal back in its day, but in this age of inexpensive firewire DV bridges I don't really see the value in it. Firewire is a much more reliable interface for this sort of work than USB 2.0 and a DV bridge will be seen directly by iMovie or Final Cut with no need for the intermediary software the Pro View USB seems to require.

There's many brands available with the low end represented by the ADS Pyro Firelink, which comes for around $150. There's Canopus units with extra features that shoot up to $500, but the more basic Canopus is about $220 and a very solid performer. I owned one before.

Hazkell
07-15-2006, 12:54 AM
Yeah, I hear ya lould and clear!
Did a search in this thread, all seemed 2-4 yrs. old.
What are pepole using now days mostly?
The “directors cut take 2” looks interesting.

Why hasn’t XLR8 changed over from USB to FW so imovie will import it?
Or, am I way behind times?
I would be a much better selling point.
More comments needed.
Will need something that works in QT, FCP, iDVD and imovie.

kaye
07-15-2006, 08:09 AM
I had a much older version of that XLR8 USB. The thing I did not like about it was the 640x480. Just tried it out and found it to be short of my needs. I also have a Canopus ADVC-100, also an older model which came with a power supply in those days. Did a lot of checking around before buying it. Definitely wanted a power supply so it is not sucking power from the mobo FW400 port. Definitely did not want a PCI card version, never enough PCI slots.

I have the Canopus hooked between an SVHS machine and the computer. It comes with a very long FW400 cable, I forget now, maybe 8 feet or so (another good reason for the power supply). Works good and in either direction, analog to digital which I have used a lot or digital to record analog on an SVHS tape which I have very seldom used. I import into iMovie. Canopus has improved models now but as I recall the power supply is an optional item. k

Hazkell
07-15-2006, 09:15 AM
been doing research - here - over the last three years.
I think I've read everything you might have posted.
Looks like you have a GOOD answer.

I thought the imate would play at full screen?
So what does the smaller size mean or matter if you can play back full sreen?

More home work is needed!
thanks

kaye
07-15-2006, 09:57 AM
Well you got me on that. I don't know how well 640x480 looks in full screen. I can say that for the Canopus importing SVHS vs. VHS into iMovie, there is a definite difference in focus/clarity on my 36" Sony TV after burning a DVD. I don't recall for sure but think the difference was also seen in iMovie and on the DVD on my Apple Cinema HD Display which runs 1920x1200 at Millions. Hard to remember because I did a lot on my GigaMDD with a 21" CRT before purchasing a G5 and the Apple display. k

kaye
07-15-2006, 10:06 AM
Here's a thought. Go here http://www.apple.com/quicktime/guide/hd/ and pick one like Walk The Line. Choose the 480p but set QuickTime for full screen. See what that looks like. Then choose 1080p and see what that looks like at full screen. k

Hazkell
07-15-2006, 11:46 PM
Thanks, I'll check that out and report back!
Can't get to it untill Tuseday though - in the middle of a major house cleaning and furnature move session.
Been putting it off for too long!
When I get the poop, I'll post.
thanks¡

kaye
07-16-2006, 09:21 AM
I downloaded a Hubbell telescope QT movie at 640x480 and played it at 640x480 and at full screen. Defintely sharper at the smaller size. Same for text in the movie. Still don't know what that proves if anything.

I went to the Daystar website and can't find online manuals yet but searched their forums and found 2 threads http://daystar-forum.com/search.php?s=1&q=ProView+USB for you to look at. One thing about the owner Gary Dailey is that he is extremely good people. I have to believe that the product will do what it says. k

despaxas
07-17-2006, 07:57 AM
The new XLR8 capture device is only recently released, so user info is still scarse. The difference between it and other firewire devices is that DV video over firewire is compressed 5:1 (3.3 MB/sec), and the XLR8 product advertises that it can capture to any quicktime codec or raw (uncompressed). That means that if it works as advertised, you could capture in MJPEG-A format at up to 1.5:1 (about 15MB/sec) or UC 1:1 (21MB/sec), to give the MPEG-2 encoder for DVD a much clearer image to encode from. Of course, you must have a fast HD that can sustain ~35-40 MB/sec to ensure you don't start dropping frames, but any SATA drive should work well.

A standard definition DVD resolution is 720x480 when represented as rectangular pixels like what televisions use, or 640x480 when represented as square pixels like what computer screens use. That is the size that is referenced when the term "full screen" is used to describe video. The compression codec that is used to capture the video is just as important for picture clarity and overall quality. The more the video is compressed during capture, the noiseier it gets. SVHS is almost double the resolution of VHS, so of course a good source makes all the difference.

Hazkell
07-21-2006, 12:02 PM
Kaye, went to Apple and tried to play that QT movie.
Can’t play it, because it’s version 7.
Sometime ago, I decided to NOT have my G4 hooked up to the Internet; therefore I couldn’t play any of them or download.
I’m stuck on 9.1, IE 5.1 for now!

The most important features I’m looking for, is to be able to load into AE 5.5, FC pro 4.0, QT 6 and Imovie.
Through direct connect or inport/export or any other way that gives a final resolution output with the BEST..... burning to DVD.

Wanting FULL SCALE RESULUTION for final output.

I’m going to download a QT movie from somewhere.
Burn a CD on the my 9600 (9.1, IE 5.1) with toast, at two different resolutions.
Play it on the DA (OS 10.3.9).
Open in AE, make a QT movie, save it to the desktop, quit AE, then play it in QT at full screen………..and see what gives.

Don’t really know if that shows what I'm looking for, but will be interesting!
I hope I’m making some kind of sense, but not sure!

despaxas, THANKS, for the info. You are definitely needed for advice. , Whenever your interested and if finding out anything more on the ProView, please post here!!

Thanks and “keepum rollin”
h