PDA

View Full Version : Pshop acceleration on a powerbook...?

daveseeley
06-30-2006, 07:09 AM
I'm a hardcore photoshopper who is primarily tethered to my g5 desktop.....but very occassionally need to go on the road. I use a first gen 17" powerbook with 1ghz, and a gig of ram. I'm looking at two working weeks coming up and was wondering about some cost effective upgrades to help this poor machine perform. It has a whimpy 5400 hd and could be upgraded to the seagate momentus 7200. I'm also interested in an external work scratch fw 800 solution if it's portble enough. Raid might be great but maybe just too damn big. Any roadwarrior ps suggestions...ideally under $300?

Thanks

Dave Seeley

TZ
06-30-2006, 08:27 AM
If you have a CARBUS slot, I would recommend the SeriTek Cardbus rather than FW800. Can really make a difference, especially for your needs.

Not sure of your budget ($300 doesn't go far but):
a 2-drive SATA external setup, if that isn't too "desktop-ish" or one big fast 500GB drive (or two 150GB Raptors?).

Cardbus $99?
Hitachi 7K500 500GB $300
Drive case: $100?

Something has to give. maybe two 250GB Hitachi T7K250's - could even be RAID'd?

If only we had CS3, the MacBook Pro 2.3GHz Core Duo would do wonders ;-)

daveseeley
06-30-2006, 10:24 AM
Hadn't thought about an sata card. Is fw 800 really not comparable to sata? Is there a smallish two drive form factor for sata dual drive? LaCie big disk? I don't need all that much storage on the road so a two drive raptor raid might be a good way to go. How bout booting the laptop on the raid as well as scratch/work? Can the card support boot? Is that too risky?

Thanks

D

If you have a CARBUS slot, I would recommend the SeriTek Cardbus rather than FW800. Can really make a difference, especially for your needs.

Not sure of your budget ($300 doesn't go far but):
a 2-drive SATA external setup, if that isn't too "desktop-ish" or one big fast 500GB drive (or two 150GB Raptors?).

Cardbus $99?
Hitachi 7K500 500GB $300
Drive case: $100?

Something has to give. maybe two 250GB Hitachi T7K250's - could even be RAID'd?

If only we had CS3, the MacBook Pro 2.3GHz Core Duo would do wonders ;-)

rwm
06-30-2006, 08:56 PM
Did you see this page? (http://www.macgurus.com/productpages/sata/PCISATAHostCards.php) post back if you need more help. - Randy

daveseeley
06-30-2006, 09:40 PM
Randy....that appears to be the sata host card page, and yes I have seen it....but no I didn't see any pcmcia cards. Am I missing them? My query here is about speeding up my first gen 17" powerbook on photoshop cs2.

It appears that my pc card slot is a for type I and II pcmcia cards including CardBus-format cards. I see the new macbook pro uses an express card/34 slot. What's the best pcmcia sata card available for my mac? (I did find an SATAVue card for $50) Is that really better than firewire 800 given that max I can do would be two raptors in a raid....which seems like it isn't going to push the bandwidth of either format?

Did you see this page? (http://www.macgurus.com/productpages/sata/PCISATAHostCards.php) post back if you need more help. - Randy

rwm
06-30-2006, 10:20 PM
Sorry Dave, I read that post to fast. I thought you were talking the SeriTek SATA Host cards. :o Randy

rwm
06-30-2006, 11:00 PM
I assume you have searched this? (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=mac+pcmcia+sata+card&btnG=Search)

daveseeley
07-01-2006, 07:31 AM
Randy,

Yes I have done the google search. That's how I found the SATAVue card on the Granite Digital site. That search comes up with a plethora of cards, but I was finding them to be windows only typically. I was hoping the MacGurus would be able to give me a rundown on the best of those available, and a comparison to real world firewire 800 with cs2.....but I suppose you could view that as laziness. Given that I can't find a pcmcia sata solution on MacGurus, maybe your crew doesn't have much truck in this realm.

I assume you have searched this? (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=mac+pcmcia+sata+card&btnG=Search)

Boots
07-01-2006, 09:08 AM
I'm a hardcore photoshopper who is primarily tethered to my g5 desktop.....but very occassionally need to go on the road. I use a first gen 17" powerbook with 1ghz, and a gig of ram. I'm looking at two working weeks coming up and was wondering about some cost effective upgrades to help this poor machine perform. It has a whimpy 5400 hd and could be upgraded to the seagate momentus 7200. I'm also interested in an external work scratch fw 800 solution if it's portble enough. Raid might be great but maybe just too damn big. Any roadwarrior ps suggestions...ideally under $300?

Thanks

Dave Seeley

Hi Dave,
Upping the RAM to 2GB and installing the latest greatest 7200rpm notebook drive will give a big performance boost right off the bat. An external portable drive system will be extra gravy but starting with the RAM and faster internal drive would be my vote...

TZ
07-02-2006, 08:21 AM
I saw SATAsite (http://www.satasite.com/esata-3-5-hard-drive-case.htm) has a nice, smallish drive enclosure for $70.

If it is SeriTek Cardbus, it would be bootable.

Barefeats took a look at some of the latest MacBook or Mini hard drive offerings and came away with 5400 rpm were fine, but it depends on capacity, cache and other factors (and how much free space is left of course)...

Laptop internal hard drives are usually premium price in GB/$.

$3000 would be more like it of course to have all the bells and whistles, but for $300 you could have portable SATA...

Or, if you have 2 x 512MB RAM, it would cost $375+ to bring it up to 2GB (2 x 1GB).

too bad you can't rent/lease what you need for your trip.

daveseeley
07-14-2006, 09:21 AM
Yeah....ram and an internal drive seem too steep at this point. I'm shopping the external drive and seritek cardbus now.... BUT....How bout a 2 gig flashdrive for scratch disk? Wouldn't that be superfast as its solid state memory? What am I missing in that assertion?

Thanks

D

daveseeley
08-18-2006, 09:43 PM
Youch TZ.... I just bought a Seritek sata cardbus, external case and Maxtor 300gb sata drive, and could not get it to boot the eternal drive... I wrote Tech support, and they told me that none of their sata cardbus cards support boot!!!!

Bummer. Was hoping to use the drive for system, scratch AND save. The Maxtor 300gb drive MacBenches out three times faster than my stock internal drive.

Dave

daveseeley
08-18-2006, 10:08 PM
So given that the sata cardbus is non-bootable, perhaps firewire 800 is the better option? Does someone have a 300gb sata maxtor in a firewire 800 box and Quickbench 2.1? (In the course of this, I discovered that my powerbook is saddled with usb1).

Quickbench 2.1 extended test 100mb file give me:
300gb sata maxtor drive via usb cardbusPB = 52 read / 66 write
300gb sata maxtor drive via usb PB = 1 read / 1 write
300gb sata maxtor drive via usb2 on G5 = 13 read /12.5 write
250gb ide maxtor drive via firewire 400 PB = 40 read / 36 write
250gb ide maxtor drive via usb2 on G5 =13.8 read / 12.5 write

Thanks for any help!

Dave

daveseeley
08-21-2006, 07:35 PM
Just got a message back from Weibe Tech that their cardbus sata is not bootable either. Does anyone know one that is?

Thanks

D

Youch TZ.... I just bought a Seritek sata cardbus, external case and Maxtor 300gb sata drive, and could not get it to boot the eternal drive... I wrote Tech support, and they told me that none of their sata cardbus cards support boot!!!!

Bummer. Was hoping to use the drive for system, scratch AND save. The Maxtor 300gb drive MacBenches out three times faster than my stock internal drive.

Dave

jacob
09-20-2006, 07:09 AM
I have been struggling with this question lately. I have a macbook pro and have been looking into ways to significantly boost the speed. I have already maxed the RAM, and have been looking into externalk devices.
Without a doubt, the seritek SATA 34/express card is the way to go.

In terms of which external sata drives to use, and how to configure them...well, that's the tricky part.

You can go with the seritek combo and get the 2-drive RAID. And you would have a theoretical 300 MB/sec. Nice. But personally, 3.5" drives kind of defeat the purpose of a portable computer.
I have been looking into 2.5" drive enclosures-- to RAID them-- and am *this* close to building my own 2-drive 2.5" external enclosure. I actually posted something about this (http://macgurus.com/forums/showthread.php?p=98996&highlight=enclosure#post98996) in terms of FW800 a while back. The ideal 2-drive enclosure, for me, would be flat, so it would fit in my laptop bag and be truly prortable.
I emailed with Rob at Barefeats about this and he too is interested in this solution. I've been mentioning this to hardware manufacturers and so far no one has bitten... so I may very well build a prototype-- just need 1 more part and I can do it.

Anyway, what's the best way to use this RAID? Well, since I would use this RAID only occasionally-- on-site with a client and needing speed, away on vacation and suddenly having to work remotely-- I wouldn't want to move my Users, etc over to it. I would probably just use it for photoshop scratch. As crazy as that sounds. Another way would be to clone the system to the raid and use it as startup only for those times I am needing photoshop to be fast-- and my startup and raid, etc would be on the external.
Whatever solution depends on what works for you.

Anyone know where to get those 5v power headers?