PDA

View Full Version : Illustrator creating AcrXXXXX.tmp files - why?

butch
06-14-2006, 09:07 AM
After AI 11.0.0 not doing it for months, all of a sudden now it's creating AcrXXXXX.tmp files all over the place. After working on one document all day yesterday, I had 32 of them in the folder with it. Very frustrating, and a waste of my HD space.

Anyone know why it's doing this, and if I can do anything about it?

Thanks!

Butch

TZ
06-14-2006, 09:58 AM
I will take a stab, because I don't own or use Illustrator.

Has your system changed?
that permission on a folder is different?
that the pref for where scratch disk files go changed?
that it ran out of space on the boot drive or something and went to this new location?

What is in /private/var/tmp ?

Scratch disk setting?

free space on boot drive?

butch
06-14-2006, 10:00 AM
One day it wasn't doing it, the next day it was. Same story before. Did it, then stopped doing it. I didn't change ANYTHING on my system at all. Nothing. Nada. Zip. Just walked into the room and started using it (didn't even turn the machine off).

Other ideas?

B

TZ
06-14-2006, 10:25 AM
Yes, try doing some maintenance and house-keeping.

Run fsck from single user mode and also run applejack - clean the cache folders and swap files that way.

how many swap files? how much RAM?

did you check your prefs or try using another account?

How about booting from a backup of your system and see?

Take a look at folder sizes (WhatSize or OmniDiskSweeper) and see if anything is amiss.

rotate and clean log files even.

sudo periodic daily weekly monthly

Ask Adobe?

butch
06-14-2006, 10:30 AM
I got about one word out of ten there. I'm a user, not a tech geek, sorry. Never heard of most of what you mentioned. My G5 has 2gb of RAM, and I don't use a scratch disk.

Ask Adobe... thanks, I needed a good laugh today :)

B

TZ
06-14-2006, 11:09 AM
Never heard of most of what you mentioned.

That is what the MacGurus Troubleshooting FAQ is for. And the link below in my posts.

2GB of RAM? I would think a G5 runnning graphics would have more like double that.

swap files are where virtual memory goes - the more you have the more your system is swapping code and files to disk and back (thrashing).

If you don't run the cron scripts (periodic daily etc) the log files consume disk space as well.

Disk drives run best, as do systems, with free disk space.

Programs like IL and CS2 usually have a designated scratch disk/file location. Boot drive and home direcctory and in /private/var/tmp. Most vendors do have forums and knowledge base. I am always shocked people don't search Apple or use their Mac Help 101.
http://www.apple.com/support/mac101/help/

Even a car needs to have the tires rotated periodically ;)

Boots
06-14-2006, 11:55 AM
Butch, this is what I found:

http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/331597.html

In checking my own system, I observed the AI temp file being created in the same directory as the AI file during a save- then it was deleted automatically as soon as the save was complete.
hope this helps.

TZ
06-14-2006, 12:12 PM
Glad you found that!

I was doing some t'nking and wondered if it was a case of Spotlight-itis as people have complained about a similar situation in iTunes with tons of temp files being created that seem to be caused by Spotlight.

Solution 4: Add the destination folder for the saved file to the Privacy tab in the Spotlight preferences.

1. Choose System Preferences from the Apple Menu.

2. Click Spotlight in the Personal area.

3. Click Privacy.

4. Click Add.

5. Select the destination folder for the saved file or files and click Choose.

6. Click the red button in the upper left to close the Spotlight preferences.