PDA

View Full Version : never done it

Willc73
06-04-2006, 06:07 PM
Never played games on my mac. G5 Quad 4 gig ram, raptor 150 boot.
Aren't games with macs slow? what good games are made for macs?

Isn't that what a PC is for?

unclemac
06-04-2006, 06:24 PM
Depends on what you like. Lots of games for Macs, but still a fairly small fraction of those available for PCs. I have always been of the mind that I would rather have a few good ones, not oodles of crud to wade through and wonder about. Still, no hard core gamer will be using a Mac.

Casual users seem to be pretty happy overall. My weakness is Call Of Duty. :rolleyes:

Start here: http://www.insidemacgames.com

Or maybe: http://www.macgamestore.com

Nicolas
06-04-2006, 06:46 PM
Well, I am playin' Americas Army (V2.5 free download) on my Mac.
Now it is a Dual 2GHz had a Quad before (long story).

Standard PC players (no hardcore gamers) have between 60 and 80 FPS (Frames per second) with the Quad and the 7800GT I had around 120FPS same with the Dual 2GHz and the 7800GS (flashed PC-card).

Depends on the CPU to Videocard throughput and the CPU and GPU.
You can install a 9800pro 256MB in a G4 dual 1GHz = 20FPS same card in G5 single 1.8GHz 60FPS.

Well I am not a gamer in no case but i like it for a bit of distraction ;)

Regards

Nicolas

kaye
06-05-2006, 07:05 AM
I don't have a Quad and am not a gamer but do like to fly X-Plane 8.40 http://www.x-plane.com/default.html which has tons of small and large aircraft and is built by the author on a Mac and is ported to a PC version.

It has enough eye candy available to bring my G5 to its knees with 256MB VRAM. Same for my GigaMDD of course. If you select too much eye candy, X-Plane 8.40 will automatically reduce certain selections to bring the VRAM used down. Just wish I could get an AGP card with 512MB. The basic DVD will take you to most airports small or large in the USA including Alaska and Hawaii. If you purchase all of the scenery you can go just about anywhere in the world and Mars but it takes about 58GB on your hard drive for the app and all of that scenery. On the GigaMDD I just installed the USA.

Halo I use to do the framerate test and every so often to just run the game but I suck at the game. k

Willc73
06-05-2006, 09:03 AM
sounds cool,
when I got the machine, I got the stock video card, don't even know which one that is. I think it is a 256mb one. I was never interested in frame rates and such because I do photoshop.
Are there any aftermarket PCI Express graphics cards that kick ass?
Also, I have 4tb of external SATA storage so I am not too worried about taking HD space.

kaye
06-05-2006, 09:34 AM
Looking at the Apple Store, right now there are 3 models available:

With the introduction of the PCI Express architecture comes a new lineup of 16-lane PCI Express graphics cards for the Power Mac G5. Choose a standard configuration equipped with a card for general graphics applications or upgrade to a high-performance card for ultraresponsive graphics and true onscreen stereo 3D.

NVIDIA GeForce 6600
Standard Power Mac G5 configurations come with the NVIDIA GeForce 6600 with 256MB of GDDR SDRAM. These cards provide excellent all-around performance for creative and productivity users. Each card offers both a single-link DVI port and a dual-link DVI port and can simultaneously support one 23-inch and one 30-inch Apple Cinema HD Display.

NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GT
For motion graphics, 3D animation and visualization, upgrade to the NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GT. Designed to accelerate the latest creative applications and blockbuster games, the 7800 GT has a large 256MB frame buffer of very fast GDDR3 SDRAM. It offers both a single-link DVI port and a dual-link DVI port and can simultaneously support one 23-inch and one 30-inch Apple Cinema Display. $350 more in replacing the 6600. Don't know how much retail.

NVIDIA Quadro FX 4500
If industrial-strength 3D design work, stereo 3D visualization, or using two large displays are on your list of requirements, configure your Power Mac G5 with the NVIDIA Quadro FX 4500. One of the most advanced graphics cards available, it has an integrated stereo 3D port, so you can use stereo goggles for stereo-in-a-window visualization applications. With two dual-link DVI ports, you can connect two 30-inch Apple Cinema HD Displays for the largest workspace. The Quadro FX 4500 boasts 512MB of ultrafast GDDR3 SDRAM. The Quadro FX 4500 occupies the 16-lane PCI Express slot and the adjacent PCI slot. $1650 more in replacing the 6600.

Nothing is worth the Quadro. Plus your 6600 with 16-lane and faster VRAM (I think) and not even considering the four CPUs you have would be http://macgurus.com/forums/images/smilies/kickass.gif fast k