PDA

View Full Version : Final Cut Pro class equipment setup?

jonny FM
05-21-2006, 04:27 PM
I teach a high school film making class and we use Final Cut Pro to edit all our films. I have only four computers in the classroom, and two sections of twelve students each that all need to be able to edit their own movies. This year (my first year teaching the class) we saved our footage on the school server. On the plus side, any student could log onto any computer at any time and be able to work on his/her project, but the slow connection to the server caused lots of glitches.

What is the best way for me to share footage files between computers, and still have a speedy connection? Do I need to get an external drives for every 2 or 3 students to share? Is firewire fast enough? What kind of external drive should I get? Is there a better sharing solution?

(I am reluctant to keep files on hard drives because they crash frequently, and then work is lost.)

Thanks for your advice.
-Jon

M.Brane
05-21-2006, 04:46 PM
Welcome to the forum.

I deleted your other threads. There's no need to cross-post here, and this looks the the right forum for your questions. Better to keep everthing in one thread unless it gets way off-topic. :)

There are a few video gurus around (I'm an audio guy myself) so have patience. I'm sure they will chime in here.

TZ
05-22-2006, 06:35 AM
I would have thrown this to the Networking crowd, or server, but any place is actually fine.

Can't upgrade to gigabit on all the computers?

FireWire can be problematic.

There really isn't any reason if care is taken for disk drives to become corrupt.

helps to have everyone using UPS probably if power outages are crashing systems.

What about NAS?

What computers are the students using? System?

despaxas
05-23-2006, 09:58 AM
I edit with external firewire drives on my laptop a lot, and it works fine. HDs do fail, but if the source footage is on the schools server as a backup, the only thing the students would have to worry about backing up is their small project file. They would copy their source footage onto the firewire HD to edit, and save the project file somewhere else. If the drive failed, they would just copy the source footage off the school servers again, and the project file will ask to locate it when it's opened again, and will then relink to it. That seems like the cheapest way to do it, since editing over a network is a nightmare.