PDA

View Full Version : Symlinking Application Folder

ftonelli
05-12-2006, 11:55 AM
Hi Everyone,

I finally installed my two new SATA drives: a Raptor 74GB and an Hitachi 250GB.
Installation and initialization on my G4 MDD was easy and smooth.

I have then installed a new OS Tiger on my new boot drive (raptor - named "HD OS") and even succesfully managed to move my user folder to my new users drive (Hitachi - named "HD Users").

So far so good.

But now I am stuck, trying to symlink the application folder from the boot drive to the users drive, so I can install all third part software in the users.

I have followed as litterally as I could the info on:
http://www.macmeisters.com/%7edamien/moveusers/symapps.html

But when I entered the text in Terminal nothing happened to the newly created application folder on my users drive. Terminal wrote a message saying: "users/Applications/ root Applications: No such file or directory"

Can anyone help me understand what's going on and how can I bypass this stage?

I am stuck and cannot install my software until I solve this.

Thank you,

Francesco

Damien
05-13-2006, 04:10 AM
Did you get my email?

ftonelli
05-13-2006, 05:07 AM
Did you get my email?

Thank you very much for your reply Damien,

Yes I did get your email. Thank you.

I have SymbolicLinker, and I used it to make a symbolic Link of my users folder according to your excellent instructions about moving the users folder.

What I am not sure is what exactly to do now for the applications.

Should I still create a new folder and call it “applications” in my users HD?
Should I then rename the application folder in my boot HD from “applications” to “root applications” then make a symbolic link and put it inside the application folder in the users HD?
Does just naming a folder “applications” allow me to install third party applications inside it?

I am not quite sure how to proceed. I ended up erasing both my new SATA HD and re-installing the OS.
This morning I am planning to re-do the “move the user folder” procedure and then would like to try to symlink the application folder again.

I would really appreciate it if you could guide me through it or tell me what should I be doing.

Thank you and I hope to hear from you soon.

Best,

Francesco