PDA

View Full Version : PANTONE Huey

kaye
05-06-2006, 12:00 PM
Anyone tried one of these (http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=4079302) or for that matter the two more expensive models? Just trying to get an idea how well they work on an LCD or CRT. k

Macaholic
05-06-2006, 09:29 PM
Hello Kaye,
I have no experience with the software, but the price looks good compared
to other monitor calibration systems.
I hope somebody jumps in with a report.

Dave

kaye
05-25-2006, 06:56 AM
Dave,

I gave up waiting for a Member's report on the Huey and ordered one from B&H Photo (where I get all of my Adobe apps and upgrades). Going to try it out this weekend. k

eric
05-25-2006, 09:31 AM
Sorry about that kaye. Been away.

I've got a Colorvision Spyder 2 Pro, pricey. But works great. In the US seems to go under just Colorvision, but in Europe typically under Pantone. Whatever....it works

Willc73
05-25-2006, 12:16 PM
I have used quite a few monitor calibration tools, Pantone makes a good product, however my experience has been, the cheaper software hardware combos never do much good. They might give you some other controls, but if you need to be calibrated, you need a professional system.

kaye
05-25-2006, 09:09 PM
Saw the one eric. About twice as much as the Huey. I'll try that if I'm not satisfied with Huey.

Willc73, I was afraid of that but just updated and sent to Rick new animated gifs for the forums home page and BareFeats. That got me to thinking that I need better calibration but I'm not a pro user.

Thanks to you both. k

Macaholic
05-26-2006, 12:57 AM
Hello Kaye,
I looked all over for a review... & found nothing.
Hope it works out satisfactory for you.
animated gifs??? sounds like fun.
You have a gift for such.
If I recall correctly you created the "new" Mac-gurus header...
Best wishes,
Dave

kaye
05-27-2006, 12:57 PM
Oh man, I love this huey. Comes with:
1. huey colorimeter
2. Desktop cradle
3. USB extension cable
4. Klear Screen monitor cleaning packet (2) and 4x4 Micro-Chamois cloth
5. Software CD with v1.0
6. Quick Start Guide

Following the Guide exactly, I first had to clean the 23" LCD Cinema HD screen. Never having done that it was dirty and dusty. Also clean the tiny suction cups on the huey. The Klear product is antistatic. Had to use both of the packets because of the screen size and dirt and dust.

Next is to install the software from CD. Then launch the software and there are some choices for registering with Pantone and downloading the latest software, v1.0.3. Did all that and quit.

Finally install huey 1.0.3, launch it and follow the onscreen or Guide instructions for calibration. Calibration itself takes about 2 minutes, all the steps about 5 minutes. Then remove huey from the screen and slide it into the desktop cradle angled up and pointed directly at your face.

The installation puts huey into your startup items, System Prefs, and on the Menu Bar. Keeping huey connected allows it to monitor room light and adjust on the fly if you want that feature. It will adjust from every 10 sec to 4 hours. I have it set for 2 minutes in huey prefs. Wnen it checks, a series of 4 LEDs on the bottom of huey flash down and up.

The Menu Bar choices are Turn On/Off Room Lighting Compensation, Start huey, Adjust For Room Light Now, and huey Preferences.

Color Settings in Prefs, choose Corrected or Uncorrected to see the difference or if you want it Uncorrected. Color Setting, there are 9 possible settings. I have it set for Web Browsing & Photo Editing. Other choices:
1. Gaming
2. Graphic Design & Video Editing
3. Warm, low contrast
4. Warm, medium contrast
5. Warm, high contrast
6. Cool, low contrast
7. Cool, medium contrast
8. Cool, high contrast

Finally, there is a check box to remind when calibration is due. From day one of getting this monitor and G5, I had always suspected that I had the brightness too high. Contrast seems right on the money. Going to have to work with it for awhile. k

Macaholic
05-27-2006, 05:14 PM
Sounds very cool Kaye,
and makes sense...
Tweaking is always needed,
Sounds like a good alternative to the current options.

Dave

kaye
05-29-2006, 11:49 AM
Since I registered huey and joined the Pantone website, I downloaded a Pantone color bridge free installer that will install within several versions of Pshop (CS2, CS, 7.x, and maybe more) as well as several other Adobe/MacroMedia apps and versions (which I don't have on my G5). k

kaye
05-30-2006, 09:28 AM
Learn something new every day.
http://xlr8yourmac.com/archives/mar06/032106.html#S20841 on ColorSync Utility. I launched it and ran Profile First Aid. It found 903 profiles and 5 printer profiles in need of repair. My printer was not on that list of printer profiles. It repaired them. Other interesting selections, Profiles, Devices, Filters, and Calculator. k

kaye
06-07-2006, 07:19 AM
As I mentioned before, huey comes with Klear Screen monitor cleaning packet (2) and 4x4 Micro-Chamois cloth. That is antistatic and, as you know, monitors do attract a lot of dust particles. My 23" Cinema HD display was loaded. Now so far no dust collection at all. I have a bunch of TVs that need an antistatic cleaner. Klear Screen and iKlear are the same company and have products for all types and brands of monitors, TVs, etc. They have a 10 percent off for HUEY users at http://klearscreen.com/huey and just type HUEY in the coupon box on checkout.

That included kit is really intended for iBook or PowerBook sized screens. They have larger screen kits.

huey gave me a warning window that it was time to recalibrate but gave me an option to delay for 24 hours. I delayed and recalibrated yesterday. k

kaye
07-26-2006, 03:38 PM
Macworld reviews the huey http://www.macworld.com/2006/07/reviews/huey/index.php/?lsrc=mwrevrss k

Boots
07-27-2006, 06:54 AM
I launched it and ran Profile First Aid. It found 903 profiles and 5 printer profiles in need of repair.

Sometimes you have to be careful ablout "repairing" profiles. For instance, custom printer/paper specific profiles made with MonacoEZcolor should not be repaired by ColorSync Utility; it alters them rendering them less accurate.

I use the MonacoOPTIX package to profile my display. Comes with a puck and software. Does a pretty decent job.

I use the iClean product by Monster to keep my display clean. Purchased it awhile back at the Apple Store. It's a pump aerosol dispenser with a big soft cloth. Works good and will clean fingerprints and spots pretty well.

kaye
07-15-2007, 10:47 AM
Pantone has a hueyPRO model now. They also have a software update for $40 to convert my huey software to hueyPRO. Once purchased, Pantone emails a link to convert the huey hardware to hueyPRO hardware. The conversions worked well and I am running a hueyPRO now and like it. k