PDA

View Full Version : Why is there a Desktop folder on my Scratch?

speters1
04-28-2006, 04:07 PM
I am using 6 Cheetah 15K.3's striped in a RAID 0 for a Photoshop scratch disk. I also use this drive for storing files temporarily while I am working on them. I have noticed that there is a folder labeled "desktop" on this raid and I am curios how it got their since I did not create it?

rwm
04-28-2006, 09:39 PM
I have had one on every partition since I can remember after OS 9. Some time in OS X. I tried tossing them long ago but another reappeared so I let it go as something OS X did and never asked. So I don't know myself. :( - Randy

unclemac
04-28-2006, 10:27 PM
Just a stab in the dark, but I wouldn't be surprised if the answer was that certain interaction with the Finder causes the creation of the folder in question, not unlike every folder anywhere you touch with the Finder makes an invisible .DS_store file.

If that's the case, it is a matter of "it just does that", uless you want to dig deep.

M.Brane
04-29-2006, 12:20 AM
It is an OS9 thing, but it's puzzling because it doesn't appear on every volume I use in 9. It always appears on volumes with an OS9 system folder, and on data disks burned in 9. It doesn't always appear on volumes where I have files that were created/modified while booted from 9, but sometimes.

Back in the 9 only days it would be on every volume. I have volumes that store files for both systems (9 & X) with no system software installed. Some have it, and some don't. :confused:

*cue Twilight Zone theme*

rwm
04-29-2006, 12:43 PM
It is an OS9 thing, but it's puzzling because it doesn't appear on every volume I use in 9. Intresting I was thinking it was an OS X issue. I have 3 hard drives in my computer and each have 2 partitions. There is a "Desktop Folder" containing 0 items on every partition except the one with OS 9 on it. :confused:

It does not seem to bother/effect anything so if it's as Unc sez ... it is a matter of "it just does that", unless you want to dig deep. The heck with digging deep on that issue. I got many more in line before it. - Randy

Macaholic
04-29-2006, 05:32 PM
I have always accepted it as part of the GUI.
Usally an "invisable file", but can be made visable using ResEdit or such under OS9.
Not sure about OSX but would guess ther is a similar "invisable" file.

Macaholic
04-30-2006, 07:22 PM
This is what my "empty" Scratch partition contains .
Using ResEdit
http://www.macgurus.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=434&stc=1